College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Bu is all over the place. Northeastern finally beat BC at BC 5-2 for the first time since 2008. Up to #8 nationally. Better keep rolling though November!!

Reactions: PlinySR

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only numbers that matter are the pairwise and this is just a bad year for Hockey East.

upload_2017-12-11_16-10-47.png

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
UMass up to 22 in the rankings after knocking off #19 Union at their place Sunday. I believe this is the first time since 2009/10 that the Minutemen have headed into the winter "break" with a winning record.

They obviously have a lot of work to do, but I believe Greg Carvel has them pointed in the right direction. My son's HS team practices at the Mullins Arena practice rink and over the summer they tore out 3/4 racquetball courts and put in a much larger weight room and work out area for the hockey players. We had morning practice before school at 5:45am over the last two weeks and the majority of the team seemed to be in there each day. Carvel also seems to be far more engaged in the community and social media than the previous coach. The better recruiting is already paying dividends as most of their top scorers are freshman. They also have a bunch of good recruits committed over the next couple of years, so hopefully they can become a fixture in the Top 15-20.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
What do you guys think of the Providence head coach, Nate Leaman? Seems like he has done good things with that program, winning a NC and a conference title.

Minnesota fans are getting pretty antsy right now, Lucia's seat is definitely hot at the moment. I was looking around the country for intriguing young coaches and Leaman stuck out to me.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What do you guys think of the Providence head coach, Nate Leaman? Seems like he has done good things with that program, winning a NC and a conference title.

Minnesota fans are getting pretty antsy right now, Lucia's seat is definitely hot at the moment. I was looking around the country for intriguing young coaches and Leaman stuck out to me.

Leaman signed a 4 year extension (with 4 years left) in 2013, so he’s under contract with the Friars through 2021. That was before PRO won a national Championship and they also have a new facility (less than 5 years old). He has also turned down NHL assistant jobs and supposedly loves the school and admins.

If that wasn’t enough, he has been coaching in the East since 1998, and appears to be very connected and/or friendly with the Bruins FO.

I’m not being a Richard, but why would he want to leave PRO for UMinn? They haven’t won a championship since 2003 (Friars won in 2015). With all due respect, I don’t think the job is attractive as it once might have been.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Leaman signed a 4 year extension (with 4 years left) in 2013, so he’s under contract with the Friars through 2021. That was before PRO won a national Championship and they also have a new facility (less than 5 years old). He has also turned down NHL assistant jobs and supposedly loves the school and admins.

If that wasn’t enough, he has been coaching in the East since 1998, and appears to be very connected and/or friendly with the Bruins FO.

I’m not being a Richard, but why would he want to leave PRO for UMinn? They haven’t won a championship since 2003 (Friars won in 2015). With all due respect, I don’t think the job is attractive as it once might have been.
I know virtually nothing about him, so I was looking for exactly this kind of info. I'm hoping that if the Gophers move on from Lucia, they do a full scale coaching search. And based on the fact that they hired Don when he was ~40, I'm thinking that they would target young coaches.

I'm under no illusions that every coach in the country would drop everything just to take the Minnesota job, but I think it's one of the better jobs in the country, and I would imagine we could offer coaches like Leaman a very healthy pay raise.

But, like you said, if he's got a good thing going at Providence and has been out east for that long, the job may not appeal to him, pay raise or not.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I know virtually nothing about him, so I was looking for exactly this kind of info. I'm hoping that if the Gophers move on from Lucia, they do a full scale coaching search. And based on the fact that they hired Don when he was ~40, I'm thinking that they would target young coaches.

I'm under no illusions that every coach in the country would drop everything just to take the Minnesota job, but I think it's one of the better jobs in the country, and I would imagine we could offer coaches like Leaman a very healthy pay raise.

But, like you said, if he's got a good thing going at Providence and has been out east for that long, the job may not appeal to him, pay raise or not.

Hes an elite coach.

The team he left to coach PC (Union) won a National Championship right after he left. Builds the team the smart way (kids who produced in JR but are good enough to get drafted) doesn't load up on unreliable prep school 18 year olds. Lots of turnover on D so this years team isn't dominant but I'd expect them to go further in the tournament than any Hockey East school since the league is so bad this year.

I'd hope he would stay at PC until the NHL comes calling and win another National Championship but I'd assume the Gophers are the one school that could triple his pay at least.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
UMass up to 22 in the rankings after knocking off #19 Union at their place Sunday. I believe this is the first time since 2009/10 that the Minutemen have headed into the winter "break" with a winning record.

They obviously have a lot of work to do, but I believe Greg Carvel has them pointed in the right direction. My son's HS team practices at the Mullins Arena practice rink and over the summer they tore out 3/4 racquetball courts and put in a much larger weight room and work out area for the hockey players. We had morning practice before school at 5:45am over the last two weeks and the majority of the team seemed to be in there each day. Carvel also seems to be far more engaged in the community and social media than the previous coach. The better recruiting is already paying dividends as most of their top scorers are freshman. They also have a bunch of good recruits committed over the next couple of years, so hopefully they can become a fixture in the Top 15-20.

More than anything, I want UMass-Amherst to have a good hockey program.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
More than anything, I want UMass-Amherst to have a good hockey program.

Me too.

I'm not expecting them to be in the Top 5 any time soon, but I would like the team to be competitive in Hockey East, and make the NCAA's once in awhile. It's a great school, and a great campus, with a lot going for it. A good hockey team would be a welcome addition.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Me too.

I'm not expecting them to be in the Top 5 any time soon, but I would like the team to be competitive in Hockey East, and make the NCAA's once in awhile. It's a great school, and a great campus, with a lot going for it. A good hockey team would be a welcome addition.

Hockey East is brutal, but that makes it fun. In no other sport do the area schools knock heads they way they do in hockey.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bonus points if anyone remembers who the BC coach was between Ceglarski and Jerry York

Former BC hockey coach Len Ceglarski dead at 91 - The Boston Globe

Legendary Boston College hockey coach and player Len Ceglarski, winner of 419 games as coach at The Heights and a member of the 1949 national championship team, died Saturday morning. He was 91 years old.

Ceglarski is the ninth-winningest coach in NCAA college hockey history, having amassed a career record of 673-339-38.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Bonus points if anyone remembers who the BC coach was between Ceglarski and Jerry York

Legendary Boston College hockey coach and player Len Ceglarski, winner of 419 games as coach at The Heights and a member of the 1949 national championship team, died Saturday morning. He was 91 years old.

Ceglarski is the ninth-winningest coach in NCAA college hockey history, having amassed a career record of 673-339-38.

RIP Coach.

Had forgotten all about Steve Cedorchuk.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
RIP Coach Ceglarski

Former BC hockey coach Len Ceglarski dead at 91

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc
Hes an elite coach.

The team he left to coach PC (Union) won a National Championship right after he left. Builds the team the smart way (kids who produced in JR but are good enough to get drafted) doesn't load up on unreliable prep school 18 year olds. Lots of turnover on D so this years team isn't dominant but I'd expect them to go further in the tournament than any Hockey East school since the league is so bad this year.

I'd hope he would stay at PC until the NHL comes calling and win another National Championship but I'd assume the Gophers are the one school that could triple his pay at least.

Seems like he's also patient with the 18 year olds he does take, like Pinho, whose role and production seem to have steadily increased.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Milbury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad