JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Standardized overtime proposed in ice hockey
Teams will play 5-on-5 for five minutes in all regular-season games
Greg Johnson | NCAA.com
Last Updated - Jun 14, 2018 16:42 ED

The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Rules Committee approved a standardized overtime format for all regular-season games and in-season tournaments beginning with the 2018-19 season.

When a game remains tied after regulation time, teams will play five-on-five for five minutes to determine a winner. If neither team scores, the result will be a tie. No other options, including alternative formats for points in conference standings, will be permitted. ...

“While differing opinions were expressed, at the end of the day the committee strongly endorsed a single overtime option, cleaning up the book and affirming the belief that hockey is played, for the most part, in a five-on-five format,” said Joe Bertagna, Hockey East Association commissioner and chair of the committee. “While the time might come where college hockey will employ a reduced manpower overtime, the prevailing voices on the committee did not see that time as now.”

During regular-season tournaments that require advancement, two options will be available after the five-minute overtime is played. Events may choose to utilize a shootout, using the specified rules, or conduct 20-minute sudden death periods. Postseason competition options include 20-minute sudden death periods or the minigame format (utilized in some conference championships).

All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which will discuss ice hockey rules change proposals during a July 25 teleconference. The proposals will be distributed to the membership for comment next week. ...

Read more at: Standardized overtime proposed in ice hockey

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Wtf? After i click on the link, it shows me:

Unfortunately you're trying to access NCAA.com from a country in the European Union.
While we're working on making sure we comply with the new regulations, we're unfortunately required to restrict access to NCAA.com from your country.
For more information about the NCAA, please visit NCAA.org.

Anyway, are there some rules in the game, that arent visible in other leagues?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@alko: Must be part of the new U.S. tariffs posture. :dunno:

The current NCAA ice hockey Rule & Interpretations (which I presume you are also precluded from accessing) includes the following ...
Rule 91 - Tied Games
91.1 Tied Games
- If the score is tied at the end of three regulation 20-minute periods, the following shall take place (Exception: See 91.3):
1. There shall be a two-minute intermission.
2. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period.
3. A five-minute period shall be played.
4. The team that scores first wins and the game is ended. If a goal is not scored in the five-minute period, the game shall be declared a tie.
5. By conference policy or mutual consent of the participating teams, 4-on-4 is an approved way to play the five-minute overtime period.
6. By conference policy, a five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime may be played, followed by a sudden-death shootout, may be used.
If either team declines to play in the necessary overtime period, the game shall be declared a loss for that team. ...

91.3 Shootout
- Any game that results in a tie may be broken by use of a shootout under the following conditions:
1. Teams play a standard five-minute overtime.
2. If game remains tied after the five-minute overtime, it shall officially be recorded as a tie.
3. Teams participating in a tournament must be notified not later than October 1 of the upcoming season that the shootout option will be used.
4. By conference policy or mutual consent of the participating teams, a shootout may be used in any tie game after the five-minute overtime period.
So it seems the current NCAA rule book has a basic premise that was born of the old adage: "Rules are meant to be broken." :rolleyes:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The NCAA has real hockey rules? I went to a college game a few years ago, MSOE versus some team from Illinois that was or is in their conference. A Dman from the other team was whistled for boarding majors in all three periods. He only got tossed out because one of the MSOE players chased him down to fight him behind the net before he could skate away or go back to the penalty box yet again. I couldn't believe that the guy wasn't ejected for the second major, let alone being able to commit a third!

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
I would rather see 4-on-4 for overtime, but this is better than having games officially ruled as ties and then 3-on-3s and shootouts for extra league points.

The conferences were trying to have their cake (5-on-5 for 65 minutes) and eat it too (skills contests for points), and it was way too unnecessarily confusing for most fans.

Last season I went to a Miami game at non-conference BGSU in which they played 3-on-3 after the game was declared a tie. BG and its fans acted like they won the Stanley Cup when they scored when really it was completely meaningless.

And then I kept wondering what would happen if someone got hurt in a demonstration.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad