NCAA free agents

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Josh wilkins of Providence - Lou's school - maybe?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Josh wilkins of Providence - Lou's school - maybe?

Love Wilkins. I’m surprised he was never drafted with a late pick.

A guy to look out for is Taro Hirose from the MSU Spartans. He’s a slick playmaker that can also score. He’s a great great passer and he’s putting up points on what’s considered a weak Michigan State team.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Lou loves himself some NCAA guys.

Imagine if Lou could sign Wilkins and Sturm - that would go along

We are so thin up the middle - those two signings would be huge -
Top 5 at F positions

C
Koivula (originally a RW)
Wilkins
Sturm
Ishakov (can he play C in the pros?)

LW
Dal Colle
Bellows
Golyshev
Jenkins
Cockerill

RW
Wahlstrom
Ho-Sang

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
C
Koivula (originally a RW)
Wilkins
Sturm
Ishakov (can he play C in the pros?)

I cannot see him making the NHL as a center. Don't think there's any probable way in which that would be the case.

It's not just the size - the guy doesn't skate like a Gaudreau. He'll need to be in the position that allows him the most opportunity to get to the offensive zone quicker and set up give-and-go style plays.

He'll need to be on the wing.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I cannot see him making the NHL as a center. Don't think there's any probable way in which that would be the case.

It's not just the size - the guy doesn't skate like a Gaudreau. He'll need to be in the position that allows him the most opportunity to get to the offensive zone quicker and set up give-and-go style plays.

He'll need to be on the wing.

I thought skating and edgework was his strength. Is it speed?

Even so having Koivula, Wilkins, Sturm at the AHL as the 1C, 2C, 3C is pretty nice depth -

Add Stevens as the 4C - not bad

Top 9 W Prospects -
Wahlstrom
Ho-Sang
Dal Colle
Ishakov
Bellows
Golyshev
Jenkins
Cockerill
And maybe Durandeau

SI

Feb 16, 2013
A couple of NCAA signings today - Taro Hirose LW to detroit
Kuffner LW to Detroit
Veroneau RWTo Ottawa
Joe Duszack RHD to Toronto

This would be a great way to recoup some prospects AND prospects who are closer to the show. Looking at those top two C's - Wilkins and Sturm and I am intrigued by LHD Goransson

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
How many of these college free agents ever become impact NHLers? It just seems like hardly any ever do I don’t think any we have ever signed ever did. The last hyped one a bit was John Stevens who hasn’t made much of impact in Bridgeport thus far.

Reactions: xECK29x

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How many of these college free agents ever become impact NHLers? It just seems like hardly any ever do I don’t think any we have ever signed ever did. The last hyped one a bit was John Stevens who hasn’t made much of impact in Bridgeport thus far.

Jack Hillen :P

I remember like 4-5 years ago we signed some defenseman who had decent fanfare who amounted to nothing(Kevin Czuczman)

Reactions: YearlyLottery

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Jack Hillen :P

I remember like 4-5 years ago we signed some defenseman who had decent fanfare who amounted to nothing(Kevin Czuczman)
Also through league in general are there guys who were succefuk NHLers. I’m hard pressed to find any off top of my head. Matt Gilroy Played a while but he pretty much stunk. Hillel actually wasn’t bad for a while, a faster Thomas Hickey in a way.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Very few

Reactions: xECK29x

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Brandon Tanev and Zach Aston-Reese are the most recent impact NHLers that I can remember.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The NCAA free agents aren't as good as they used to be. Everyone is so well scouted that it's a rarity that they fall through the cracks.

Who was the last good one? Matt Gilroy? And he wasn't very good at all.

Reactions: periferal

IsleNmetFan4Life

Feb 16, 2012
Danny DeKeyser should probably have already been mentioned here if we're bringing up one's that have been successful.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Jimmy Vesey is another.

Actually, he was drafted.

He refused to sign with Nashville (which didn't sit well with their fans) and became a free agent.

Then he signed as a UFA with the NYR$.

Same situation for players like Will Butcher (NJD) and Kerfoot (COL).

Reactions: SI

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Also through league in general are there guys who were succefuk NHLers. I’m hard pressed to find any off top of my head. Matt Gilroy Played a while but he pretty much stunk. Hillel actually wasn’t bad for a while, a faster Thomas Hickey in a way.

Kevin Hayes

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
NCAA free agents would be making a huge mistake if they signed with the NYI organization.
LL does not rush young players into the NHL instead he prefers to sign old veteran players. So I would expect most NCAA free agents to sign elsewhere unless they enjoy playing with the Sound Tigers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad