NCAA Free Agent Watch

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Thanks for the scouting report. Do you think that Curadi projects better as a d man or a forward at the NHL level?

Also, do you have any more info on Haggerty? He seems to fit what the Sens are looking for.

Curadi is definitely a D man. He clears out the front of the net better than anyone, on the RPI team. He's physical and doesn't back down to anybody. It's just a added bonus and something for a head coach to keep in mind as a wrinkle on the offense to let him drift down from the point and create some havoc in front of the other teams net.

As for Haggerty--his pedigree is great. He originally played for the USA DT program, which has produced so many great players and prospects. He just plays a great all around game. Last night RPI played Dartmouth in the 1st round in the ECAC playoffs and he produced 2 goals. He's produced more than a point a game, and more importantly he scores when it really counts--6 game winners. He just brings it--he's worth a shot for sure.

Berserker*

Curadi is definitely a D man. He clears out the front of the net better than anyone, on the RPI team. He's physical and doesn't back down to anybody. It's just a added bonus and something for a head coach to keep in mind as a wrinkle on the offense to let him drift down from the point and create some havoc in front of the other teams net.

As for Haggerty--his pedigree is great. He originally played for the USA DT program, which has produced so many great players and prospects. He just plays a great all around game. Last night RPI played Dartmouth in the 1st round in the ECAC playoffs and he produced 2 goals. He's produced more than a point a game, and more importantly he scores when it really counts--6 game winners. He just brings it--he's worth a shot for sure.

Thanks again, they would both be good additions to the Sens prospect pool.

Curadi also used to be a pretty prominent fighter if I am not mistaken, so maybe he could be a really physical shutdown d man who can fight if he makes it to the NHL.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
has ahti oksanen been signed by an nhl team? plays with robbie baillargeon at BU and is 2nd in scoring there.
20yo, 6.03, 200lbs defender, 7g24p

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This guy is a beast on the RPI blueline. If the Sens are looking for someone big and physical to take "care" of Karlsson, if somebody goes after him. One thing that is part of his game at RPI is that he'll float down float down from the point to the front of the net when he has a good opportunity and set up camp, which really raises hell for the goalies and other teams D-men. He plays a very solid defensive game.

Also RPI's Ryan Haggarty--this guy is intense. He produces every game. So if nothing else, you would be signing a guy who's always mentally ready and locked in for the game.

Hows his skating?

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Not a NCAA player, but think the sens could be interested in Mitch Holmberg? Leads the WHL in scoring.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not a NCAA player, but think the sens could be interested in Mitch Holmberg? Leads the WHL in scoring.

This isn't meant to be a dig on Holmberg, but he's a 21 year old WHL player. I would hope he's destroying the competition in that league, seeing as how he's up to 5 years older than some of the competition.

Undersized and apparently has (or used to have) a "compete" issue, but apparently has worked on his defensive game so he's no longer a glaringly small one-dimensional player. Still, it seems he's a "top-6-or-bust" kind of guy.

If we signed him, I wouldn't mind it, but I'm also reserving my judgement to see what he'll do against players his age or older (of which there are barely any in the league he's playing in). I'd take a chance on the kid, but I also wouldn't be holding my breath that he'll turn into a regular at the NHL level.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Yeah heard the big reason why he went undrafted was because of his skating. Would be nice to see him sign a pro contract once his whl season is over just to see and gauge how he does at the pro level. Even if it's with a ECHL team that is playoff bound.

Berserker*

If we are looking for a big phsycial shutdown D man, the two players we should look at are Oleg Yevenko and Luke Curadi.

Olege Yevenko is 6'7, 250 lbs

Here is the skinny on him:

Another player to watch this season is towering sophomore Oleg Yevenko. He finished his rookie campaign last season with three points (one goal, two assists) in 33 games. At 6’7â€, 225-pounds, he’s hard to miss. The Minsk, Belarus native has gotten quite a bit of NHL notice since his arrival in Amherst. Yevenko is a shutdown defenseman that thrives in the physical game. While he is still a work in progress, Yevenko has made a few strides in his development as a freshman, most notably in using his gigantic frame more effectively in playing his position. If Yevenko can continue his developmental progress with the potential that he has, he could wind up among the nation’s top free agents sooner rather than later.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/79467/2012-13-hockey-east-season-preview/

and Luke Curadi is 6'5 250 lbs and he is known for his physicality and ability ti intimidate. Here is an article on him:

http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20140304/curadi-not-afraid-to-throw-weight-around

Berserker*

Here is a good write up on the top NCAA free agents that are available:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104605/carey-morrison-among-top-available-ncaa-free-agents/

A key target for us should be Bryce Van Brabant

Bryce Van Brabant, LW
Junior, Quinnipiac University (ECAC)

There aren’t many players in the NCAA who are as punishing as Bryce Van Brabant, who doles out some of the hardest checks in all of college hockey. And it is that ultra-aggressive style along with his vastly improved offensive game that has made Van Brabant one of this season’s most coveted collegiate free agents. Among the NHL teams vying for the junior winger are the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. Van Brabant attended both teams’ prospect camps this past summer.

The Morinville, AB native has posted 20 points (14 goals, six assists) in 36 games to date for the Bobcats. Where Van Brabant has been especially dangerous this season has been on Quinnipiac’s power-play. Of his 14 goals, nine have come with the man advantage, which ties him for the most on the team. Furthermore, his 14 goals are nearly triple his total from last season.

Van Brabant is a 6’3â€, 205-pound power forward who thrives in the physical side of the game. He currently leads the nation with 105 penalty minutes. While he has established himself as one of the NCAA’s toughest players, he uses his size and strength very effectively in other areas, as well. Van Brabant’s strong frame and tenacity on the puck makes him difficult to move off of the puck, which is evident in his play in front of the net.

Van Brabant’s increased point production can be attributed to his persistence in gaining and maintaining puck control and his improved cycling ability. Van Brabant has also developed more foot speed and his strides are smoother. One area where Van Brabant continues to be quite good is on the defensive side. He uses his frame and long reach advantageously in stripping pucks and slowing down opponents.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
IIRC, Ottawa only has two NCAA regulars on their team: Condra and Greening (both of whom will cost double digit millions for the foreseeable future), while Wiercioch can't even break a bottom 6 role on a regular basis. Our biggest free wallet signing is in the AHL (Da Costa).

Nothing really to get excited about.

Berserker*

IIRC, Ottawa only has two NCAA regulars on their team: Condra and Greening (both of whom will cost double digit millions for the foreseeable future), while Wiercioch can't even break a bottom 6 role on a regular basis. Our biggest free wallet signing is in the AHL (Da Costa).

Nothing really to get excited about.

Condra, Greening and Wiercioch were drafted by the Sens. Neither were college free agents. Da Costa has very high end offensive ability but he isn't built well for the NHL. He had almost no muscle mass when he joined the Sens and he hasn't really put a lot of work forward thus far to address that, only recently has he start to commit himself to strength and conditioning.

Certainly many NCAA free agents are busts, but on the rare occasion you end up with a Dustin Penner, Christ Kuntiz, or Curtiss Glencross.

I think the primary problem is that teams tend to look for high end offensive talent in the NCAA free agent market. This sometimes pays off, but more often then not you wind up with Bobby Butler types who end up becoming AHL players. In my opinion, this boom or bust strategy isn't really the best approach. That is why I believe it is better to look or gritty role player types on the NCAA market because they have a higher probability of taking on a role at some point in the NHL. That is why I think we should be targeting the likes of Luke Curadi, Oleg Yevenko and Bryce Van Brabant. With their size and physicality, they won't need that much development to take on depth roles and if by chance they develop further then it is a huge bonus for us. Aside from that, the only "finesse" player I think we should target is Trevor Van Riemsdyk because he impressed me when he attended our development camp in 2012.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Condra, Greening and Wiercioch were drafted by the Sens. Neither were college free agents. Da Costa has very high end offensive ability but he isn't built well for the NHL. He had almost no muscle mass when he joined the Sens and he hasn't really put a lot of work forward thus far to address that, only recently has he start to commit himself to strength and conditioning.

Certainly many NCAA free agents are busts, but on the rare occasion you end up with a Dustin Penner, Christ Kuntiz, or Curtiss Glencross.

I think the primary problem is that teams tend to look for high end offensive talent in the NCAA free agent market. This sometimes pays off, but more often then not you wind up with Bobby Butler types who end up becoming AHL players. In my opinion, this boom or bust strategy isn't really the best approach. That is why I believe it is better to look or gritty role player types on the NCAA market because they have a higher probability of taking on a role at some point in the NHL. That is why I think we should be targeting the likes of Luke Curadi, Oleg Yevenko and Bryce Van Brabant. With their size and physicality, they won't need that much development to take on depth roles and if by chance they develop further then it is a huge bonus for us. Aside from that, the only "finesse" player I think we should target is Trevor Van Riemsdyk because he impressed me when he attended our development camp in 2012.

Is this your opinion or is that statement based on words from someone within the org?

Berserker*

Is this your opinion or is that statement based on words from someone within the org?

I forget where I heard it, but I am pretty sure that Tim Murray said that they had to sit him down and have "the talk" about whether he really wants to be an NHL player. It was the same thing that happened with Jim O'Brien where they felt he wasn't committed enough to his development.

Since then there have been multiple reports that Da Costa has been dedicating himself to the gym and working harder to round out his game, hence the increased opportunities with the big club.

Berserker*

Of all the guys in that article BVB seems like the most underwhelming. The names that intrigued me were Campbell, Carey, Morrison and Haggerty.

BVB probably has the lowest upside but he arguably has the best probability of becoming an NHL player. So basically it is the same tradeoff any organization faces when signing or drafting a young player. Do you take the less riskier prospect who doesn't have as high or upside but has a better chance of being a pro, or do you roll the dice on the high risk player who could bust.

Aside from that BVB is a big power forward who is known for being physically imposing. We are in need of a few more big physical power forward types in our system. BVB could help fill that void.

As for Greg Carey, if we are going to sign him, then we might as well sign his brother Matt as well. Both Matt and Greg play for St Lawrence and are actually line mates. It could be worthwhile having both of them going forward.

Haggerty would have be an excellent signing, but the Rangers have already signed him.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I wasn't referring to them as free wallets, but NCAA players in general. In fact, we are essentially talking about players passed over guys like Greening and Condra - who at least got drafted. Most of these guys are like over-overaged CHLers.

When did Ottawa ever get lucky with one of these wallets? But the key question is, how many of these over aged, passed over in multiple drafts prospects actually have had any success in the big leagues?

I just wanted to curb our collective enthusiasm a little, that realistically none of the players signed this route will ever play a significant role for Ottawa. The best you can hope for is another Winchester.

I also believe that the Sens organization are becoming less and less enticing for "top" free wallets. Why would they sign for a team where they may not get the opportunity to play for the big team, who prefer their Condras and Greenings and Phillips over the DA Costas, Stones, Wiercioches, et al.?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Even getting a guy like Tanev or DeKeyser for free (in terms of assets, not money) can be a huge win.

NCAA FA signings are just like any other way of acquiring players: you'll get some busts, but you'll get some guys that work out, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad