NCAA Div3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupul15

May 6, 2004
MTL
Hey guys, i would like to know what's the NCAA div 3 caliber like? With what category would you compare it and how big is the difference with Div 1? And if you could give comparison with category fro Quebec or Canada it would really help me. :dunno:

Thanks!

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Lupul15 said:
Hey guys, i would like to know what's the NCAA div 3 caliber like? With what category would you compare it and how big is the difference with Div 1? And if you could give comparison with category fro Quebec or Canada it would really help me. :dunno:

Thanks!

Huge. A decent Div 3 school is usually not as good as a good Midget AAA team here in the states if that helps.

Lupul15

May 6, 2004
MTL
are you talking about a midget AAA team from Quebec? if not, then how does it compare to midget AAA from Quebec?

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
devildan said:
Huge. A decent Div 3 school is usually not as good as a good Midget AAA team here in the states if that helps.

Either your watching the worst d3 team ever, or a midget aaa team full of pro players. Midget AAA is not as good as D3. Its not even a fair comparison. When you have KIDS from 15-17 playing midgets versus MEN 18 yrs old to 22 likely, theres no way you can say a midget aaa team is better than a d3 team.

I've played against some of the top midget programs in the country(us) a few years back and now that I have some college hockey experience(d1 club), your comparison is far off.

The best comparison I can make is saying d3 is like jr a, I guess.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
SkateLikeTheWind said:
Either your watching the worst d3 team ever, or a midget aaa team full of pro players. Midget AAA is not as good as D3. Its not even a fair comparison. When you have KIDS from 15-17 playing midgets versus MEN 18 yrs old to 22 likely, theres no way you can say a midget aaa team is better than a d3 team.

I've played against some of the top midget programs in the country(us) a few years back and now that I have some college hockey experience(d1 club), your comparison is far off.

The best comparison I can make is saying d3 is like jr a, I guess.

Agreed, d-3 is pretty comparable to Jr. A, I would say perhaps like the best teams in the Ontario Provincal League.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
AJ1982 said:
Agreed, d-3 is pretty comparable to Jr. A, I would say perhaps like the best teams in the Ontario Provincal League.

Unless D-3 has gotten way way better over the last 10 years, I'd so no way no how not even close. I played against University of Delaware and Penn State kids and some of my teammates from my HS hockey team played D-3. The top kids from the OJPHL go on to play in Div 1 and there's such a big difference between D1 and D3, unless things have changed a lot, as I haven't seen a D3 game since I played in the USHS. Plus maybe the D3 teams I saw just sucked. When I was 14-15 I used to go to the hockey camp at Penn State and while they were some good players, they weren't really close to D1. I also could be overrating the OPHL, but I can't see a Josh Soares going to D-3.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
montreal said:
Unless D-3 has gotten way way better over the last 10 years, I'd so no way no how not even close. I played against University of Delaware and Penn State kids and some of my teammates from my HS hockey team played D-3. The top kids from the OJPHL go on to play in Div 1 and there's such a big difference between D1 and D3, unless things have changed a lot, as I haven't seen a D3 game since I played in the USHS. Plus maybe the D3 teams I saw just sucked. When I was 14-15 I used to go to the hockey camp at Penn State and while they were some good players, they weren't really close to D1. I also could be overrating the OPHL, but I can't see a Josh Soares going to D-3.

I think you're overrating the OPJHL a little. Most of the regular players in OPJHL go to D-3, only the top go D-1. Only about 70 players from the OPJHL will be going to play d-1 this year with a legitimate shot of making their new teams. Some of these won't make it. There are also 35 teams in the OPJHL. That's about 2 players per team going on to play D-1 hockey if everybody makes it. Also, yes, D-3 has progressed a lot over the last ten years. Also, I think you are referring to club teams, those programs you mentioned are not d-3 as far as I know and also not listed as d-2 or d-3 on the uscollegehockey website. http://www.uscho.com/d2d3/ . You're right, d-3 is a HUGE step down from d-1 but most d-3 teams would make decent Jr A teams in the OPJHL and good Jr A teams in the EJHL. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
AJ1982 said:
I think you're overrating the OPJHL a little. Most of the regular players in OPJHL go to D-3, only the top go D-1. Only about 70 players from the OPJHL will be going to play d-1 this year with a legitimate shot of making their new teams. Some of these won't make it. There are also 35 teams in the OPJHL. That's about 2 players per team going on to play D-1 hockey if everybody makes it. Also, yes, D-3 has progressed a lot over the last ten years. Also, I think you are referring to club teams, those programs you mentioned are not d-3 as far as I know and also not listed as d-2 or d-3 on the uscollegehockey website. http://www.uscho.com/d2d3/ . You're right, d-3 is a HUGE step down from d-1 but most d-3 teams would make decent Jr A teams in the OPJHL and good Jr A teams in the EJHL. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Well I don't understand how Penn State could be a club team, but I do know Neuman college is D3 and I don't know how since they are a newer program (and the school is very small and mostly women or was when I lived there) I have to say I know even less about the OJPHL, as I only see the top players from that league. I still have a hard time thinking that D-3 is on the level with the OJPHL, but if it is, good for the US since the US program has come a long way over the last 10-15 years.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
montreal said:
Well I don't understand how Penn State could be a club team
What do you mean? They are a club team because they do not attract the talent that would allow them to compete at d1, however they do have a very good club team (i know i've played them last year, and will again this year) because they have such a huge amount of people going to that school, that chances are you will be able to field a good team considering the amount of players im sure they choose from.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
SkateLikeTheWind said:
montreal said:
Well I don't understand how Penn State could be a club team
What do you mean? They are a club team because they do not attract the talent that would allow them to compete at d1, however they do have a very good club team (i know i've played them last year, and will again this year) because they have such a huge amount of people going to that school, that chances are you will be able to field a good team considering the amount of players im sure they choose from.

I meant how are they a club team since they are one of the largest colleges in the nation. I would have thought they would be D-3 or even D-2 with such a huge student base and excellent football program. (it's a great party school as well)

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
montreal said:
I meant how are they a club team since they are one of the largest colleges in the nation. I would have thought they would be D-3 or even D-2 with such a huge student base and excellent football program. (it's a great party school as well)

I'm still pretty confident in saying that those programs are club and not d-3, I also would say that the OPJHL is a weak Junior A league when compared to the BCHL. That's mostly because there are so many teams in the OPJHL. That's why I'm making the comparison to OPJHL Jr. A and not the BCHL or the NAHL. But this is just my opinion from what I have seen, I guess we can agree to disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->