NCAA DI Legislative Relief Waiver for Exhibitions

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief Blanket Waiver Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Maximum Contest Limitations - Approved August 27, 2021

The NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief approved a blanket waiver for NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey teams to participate in one exhibition contest against any NCAA Division I, II or III institutions during the 2021-22 academic year that does not count against the team or individual maximum contest limitations if the team is unable to utilize the foreign team in the United States annual exemption in 2021-22.

In granting this request, the committee noted:
  1. The waiver is approved for the 2021-22 academic year only;
  2. Competition opportunities for institutions to use the foreign team in the United States exempted contests legislation have diminished as a result of travel restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic; and
  3. The NCAA Hockey Commissioner’s Association and the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee supported the waiver request.
See Case no. 1134690 in Requests/Self-Reports Online via the search tab. Additional information regarding blanket waivers can be found on the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief homepage.

[References: NCAA Division I Bylaws 17.14.5.1 maximum limitations – institutional; 17.14.5.2 maximum limitations – student-athlete; and 17.14.5.3 - annual exemptions] ...

This waiver has reportedly allowed the UW Badgers men to add an exhibition game vs. MN-Duluth on October 2nd at the Chippewa Area (Eu Claire, WI) Ice Arena. I'd expect other Northern U.S. DI programs (men & women) to be following suit, as they seek to replace cross-border exhibition games that have been common in previous seasons. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad