NCAA DI Extended Eligibility for Winter Sport Student-Athletes

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm going to use this thread to post announcements of men & women hockey players returning in 2021-22 under the NCAA's October 2020 extended eligibility ruling (excerpt below from this news item). I've also included an excerpt in this initial post from the NCAA's "Actions Related to Division I Regulations and Policies Impacted by COVID-19" document, for the rules geeks among us. Feel free to contribute ...
DI Council extends eligibility for winter sport student-athletes...

October 14, 2020 3:15pm

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. ...

“The pandemic will continue to impact winter sport seasons in ways we can’t predict. Council members opted to provide for winter sport student-athletes the same flexibility given spring and fall sports previously,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Pennsylvania. “The actions today ensure the continuation of local decision-making in the best interest of each institution and its student-athletes.” ...

Season-of-Competition Waivers & Extensions of Eligibility.JPG

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Johnson, Somoza use COVID-19 extra eligibility to return to Bemidji State for 2021-22 college hockey season

By USCHO Staff - April 1, 2021

Bemidji State seniors Brad Johnson and Ethan Somoza will return to the Beavers for the 2021-22 season.

While both players have exhausted the traditional four years of eligibility, due to a COVID-19 delayed start and condensed 2020-21 season, the NCAA has given seniors the opportunity to take an additional year of eligibility.

Johnson and Somoza will complete their business administration curriculum and pursue MBA degrees while returning to the Beavers for a fifth season. ...

Traditionally, a student-athlete has five years to play four seasons of their sport. Because the pandemic impacted the 2020-21 winter season in ways that nobody could predict, the NCAA granted all winter sport athletes an extra year of eligibility. The extra year means current college student-athletes have six years to play their four seasons. This also means that student-athletes can compete in all or a portion of the 2020-21 season, but it won’t be counted against their years of eligibility depending on their division level specific eligibility rules. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2021/04/01/jo...idji-state-for-2021-22-college-hockey-season/

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
An opinion piece from College Hockey News on a tightly-coupled topic ...
April 2, 2021
Into the Great Wild Portal

College Hockey Facing Unprecedented Player Movement

by Mike McMahon/Staff Writer

As of Thursday morning, there were more than 255 players in the NCAA transfer portal. That's almost 15 percent of all college hockey players.

How on earth did we get here? In a short period of time, the transfer portal has turned into college hockey's version of free agency.

In large part, the explosion in portal entries this season has to do with COVID, and the NCAA allowing players to play a fifth season. Combine that extra year of eligibility with traditional graduate transfers and a potential one-time transfer waiver, that would allow players to change schools without having to sit out a year — which some expect to pass as early as this spring — and it's a perfect storm.

"There is going to be a vicious domino effect at every level that feeds into college hockey," Arizona State head coach Greg Powers said. "I don't think people understand the tidal wave that's going to happen. I expect, based on information that I'm privy to and can catch up on, that they are, at the very worst, going to allow a waiver for a one-time transfer for this year. And I don't know if that's going to go into permanent legislation or not, but this year, we expect there to be a waiver, which means anyone on any team can transfer anywhere they want." ...

Read more at: Into the Great Wild Portal

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
One (of many, probably) that I missed ...
Men's Ice Hockey
3/31/2021 11:14:00 AM
Lewandowski to Return for 2021-22 Season

EAST LANSING –
Michigan State forward Mitchell Lewandowski will return to the Spartan hockey team for the 2021-22 season. ...

Lewandowski has appeared in 135 games for the Spartans, producing 101 points, including 49 goals and 52 assists....

Read more at: https://msuspartans.com/news/2021/3/31/mens-ice-hockey-lewandowski-to-return-for-2021-22-season.aspx

And another group ... Seniors Frank, Passolt & Washe returning to Western Michigan

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Andriano, Bruce, Willett, Hamacher to return for 2021-22 season

Men's Hockey | 4/16/2021 3:41:00 PM

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - The RIT men's hockey team will welcome four familiar faces back to the program next season. Goalie Ian Andriano (Barrie, Ontario/Ottawa Jr. Senators), forward Nick Bruce (Fall River, Nova Scotia/Johnstown Tomahawks), forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) and defenseman Dan Willett (Bayville, N.Y.) will all be returning to use their extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic. ...

Read more at: Andriano, Bruce, Willett, Hamacher to return for 2021-22 season - Rochester Institute of Technology Athletics

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
On the women's side, four-year Clarkson University forward Kristy Pidgeon uses her grad transfer eligibility to join the Mercyhurst Lakers for 2021-22. And a MUCH bigger name ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Grand Forks Herald sportswriter Brad Schlossman is doing a MUCH better job of tracking this summer's transfer portal - men & women - than I'll ever be able to. I'll be looking in on his Twitter feed periodically to catch the big-name graduate transfers entering & leaving the portal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
NCHC is going to be a bloodbath next year. SCSU, UNO and WMU are basically bringing back their full teams. Sanderson back at UND with some star transfers like Ford and Driscoll. UMD got ravaged by signings but at least get to bring back some important seniors from this season like Anderson, Roth and Bender. No way the Pios are as bad next season with a roster full of NHL draft talent. Even the Redhawks brought in some legit transfer talent in Cullen and Gresock. CC just nabbed Dougie Weight's kid and former USNTDP-er from BC although he hasn't been much in college.

I kinda fancy SCSU right now - just deep at all positions with all their 5th year guys coming back and so close this year with a bad loss in the final driving them to finish the job this upcoming season IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->