NCAA considering eliminating transfer delay to play

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ACC supports Big Ten rule that would allow transfers to play immediately without sitting out
The Big Ten proposed a rule that would allow an athlete in any sport to transfer once in their career without sitting out for a season at their new school.

Five sports currently make transfer students sit out a season before they can play for new school, including hockey.

Being that other sports don't have the rule, and lots of exemptions/exceptions, makes sense to eliminate delay.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Vaguely recall that Jay O'Brien and his adviser thought about challenging the rule so that he could transfer from Providence to Boston University this season, but he opted to play this season in the BCHL before transferring.

Makes sense to me to eliminate it, although I'd also hope that it doesn't result in a spike of athletes transferring. I remember reading that O'Brien committed to Providence when he was 15 and things didn't work out as he'd hoped. I like to think I'm not that far removed from college, but I could empathize with how he was feeling; I chose my college at 16 and definitely had some second thoughts by the time I wrapped up my freshman year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think it’s a good idea. Most transfers are student athletes moving either because their initial choice of school wasn’t working out well, or they had some need to be closer to a particular geographical area, usually due to family issues.

There’s a valid concern it could lead to the power schools recruiting transfers from the mid majors, but I don’t have the feeling it would be that big of an impact. The power conference schools are still limited by scholarships and would generally prefer getting blue chip recruits over transfers in my opinion.

Reactions: Morrison

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it’s a good idea. Most transfers are student athletes moving either because their initial choice of school wasn’t working out well, or they had some need to be closer to a particular geographical area, usually due to family issues.

There’s a valid concern it could lead to the power schools recruiting transfers from the mid majors, but I don’t have the feeling it would be that big of an impact. The power conference schools are still limited by scholarships and would generally prefer getting blue chip recruits over transfers in my opinion.
We don't really see Redshirting or transferring in hockey in the NCAA. So, can't really judge what kind of impact it would have. Likely not a big impact. The top NHL talent is out in 1 or 2 seasons.

For other sports, especially like Football it would make sense, considering the number of coaching changes that occur after each season. Could very well a ripple effect should 1 standout player transfers to another school, leading to that school's top player at that position then transferring. Could potentially get messy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

The other big reason is changes in coaching staffs, which again I feel like the player should be allowed to transfer out with no issues when that happens. Honestly it would be a rule change that has been overdue for a few decades now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad