NCAA committee recommends basketball tournaments expand to bracket of 90 teams in 24-25

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
There's even more money to be made by auctioning off over-the-air simulcast rights to Turner's March Madness games in markets with a rooting interest in the participating teams. Obviously stations that carry CBS would not be eligible.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
FIFA expanding the World Cup field, NCAA following suit, the massive promotion of sports betting, advertising rapidly expanding with placements now on uniforms and digital dasher boards rotating ads... I feel like the sports world is running towards the abyss.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yuck. All I can really say to this idea.

I’m sure that the NCAA will make a boatload of dough, so that’s all that really matters.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
FIFA expanding the World Cup field, NCAA following suit, the massive promotion of sports betting, advertising rapidly expanding with placements now on uniforms and digital dasher boards rotating ads... I feel like the sports world is running towards the abyss.

It could be argued that the first time anyone got paid to play a sport it has been running towards the abyss. The idea of amateurism, in its truest form, has long been dead. Balancing competition vs. unbridled capitalist encroachment is now seemingly a losing battle.

That noone, or at least a sizable chunk of the consumer market, gives a shit, will keep it moving in this direction.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
This has been said since the dawn of pro sports. Too bad the money keeps rolling in and will continue to do so in the immediate future it seems.

Maybe is just me but it seems today everyone is racing to expand and the past the would let some years

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
While I'm not a fan of NCAA sports and won't be watching anyway, the article does include some positives.

Recommendations include (paraphrased to not copy too much of the article):

-2+yrs of post graduate medical coverage for injured players
-Mental health treatment
-Degree completion funds for 10 years
-Additional forms of counseling (personal/career/finance)

I am a propionate of student athletes so if expanding the playoffs to 90 teams means players get additional compensation, than sure.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That being said, I hope that if this happens we see more midmajors let in versus power conference teams.

As a fan of a Big Ten team, sorry, but a midmajor conference's second best team has a better argument to make the dance than the 8th-10th or so best teams in an individual power conference.

But there's more money up here, so we know how the expansion will work.

Reactions: adsfan

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
It could be argued that the first time anyone got paid to play a sport it has been running towards the abyss. The idea of amateurism, in its truest form, has long been dead. Balancing competition vs. unbridled capitalist encroachment is now seemingly a losing battle.

That noone, or at least a sizable chunk of the consumer market, gives a shit, will keep it moving in this direction.
Amateurism was created to keep poor people from playing sports

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Amateurism is the reason why there two rugby codes and never got. To the popularity of soccer in england

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad