NCAA/CHL Eligibility Rule

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Not sure where else to post this so I figured I'd do it here.

Anyways, we know that once a player plays or even practices long enough in the CHL that their NCAA eligibility is terminated due to the "amateur" rule.

Recently, my local college in Erie PA, Mercyhurst University, played Ohio State's Men's Hockey team. I read in the local paper that one of OSU's assistant coaches, Joe Exter, player for the Erie Otters (OHL) for a short stint in the late 90's. I was curious, so I looked Exter up on HockeyDB and what I found was interesting.

It appears that after Exter's stint in the OHL he went on to play in the NCAA at Merrimack in the Hockey East.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31858

So, out of curiosity, might some of you NCAA fans know if the amateur rule is a relatively recent development? Are there exceptions to the rule? He's the only player I know of to play in the NCAA after playing in the CHL.

Just thought this was an interesting case, thanks.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Not sure where else to post this so I figured I'd do it here.

Anyways, we know that once a player plays or even practices long enough in the CHL that their NCAA eligibility is terminated due to the "amateur" rule.

Recently, my local college in Erie PA, Mercyhurst University, played Ohio State's Men's Hockey team. I read in the local paper that one of OSU's assistant coaches, Joe Exter, player for the Erie Otters (OHL) for a short stint in the late 90's. I was curious, so I looked Exter up on HockeyDB and what I found was interesting.

It appears that after Exter's stint in the OHL he went on to play in the NCAA at Merrimack in the Hockey East.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=31858

So, out of curiosity, might some of you NCAA fans know if the amateur rule is a relatively recent development? Are there exceptions to the rule? He's the only player I know of to play in the NCAA after playing in the CHL.

Just thought this was an interesting case, thanks.

The rule has been around a long, long time.

My understanding is that players lose a year of eligibility for playing even a single game in the CHL, and then further eligibility loss depends on the number of games played. That likely explains why he only played three seasons at Mercyhurst.

MrWilson*

Well...don't get me started, but...

This rule is such a crock of ****. I can give you a slew of examples, but I'll give you two that kind of piss me off..

1) The NCAA D1 teams play Canadian University teams all the time whose rosters are loaded with ex major junior players and even ex ECHL and AHL players. WTF are they talking about with this BS rule about exhibition games for 16 year olds when their own scholarship awarded amateurs are playing them against former professionals?

2) NCAA players can attend NHL development camps. How is that still being an amateur?

and another thing...

For those claiming that the US junior leagues are producing so much talent--why are NCAA hockey rosters still chock full of Canadians?? THAT is a joke. If the USHL, NAHL, USPHL, PREP and other leagues are so dialed into the NCAA, why are so many boys from up north still afforded the opportunity to take away the scholarships of US born players--while all the while the NCAA doesn't guarantee them (US players) anything except the chance to risk their window for a 'maybe' and severely limiting their exposure to major junior hockey? A kid that is drafted or even invited to tryout with a CHL team has to be on eggshells because the NCAA is watching?? Stupid.

The NCAA should A) severely limit Canadians on its hockey rosters, just like Jr teams do for imports--1-2/year tops and B) follow its own rules.

But its the NCAA...its all about the $$

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania

This rule is such a crock of ****. I can give you a slew of examples, but I'll give you two that kind of piss me off..

1) The NCAA D1 teams play Canadian University teams all the time whose rosters are loaded with ex major junior players and even ex ECHL and AHL players. WTF are they talking about with this BS rule about exhibition games for 16 year olds when their own scholarship awarded amateurs are playing them against former professionals?

2) NCAA players can attend NHL development camps. How is that still being an amateur?

and another thing...

For those claiming that the US junior leagues are producing so much talent--why are NCAA hockey rosters still chock full of Canadians?? THAT is a joke. If the USHL, NAHL, USPHL, PREP and other leagues are so dialed into the NCAA, why are so many boys from up north still afforded the opportunity to take away the scholarships of US born players--while all the while the NCAA doesn't guarantee them (US players) anything except the chance to risk their window for a 'maybe' and severely limiting their exposure to major junior hockey? A kid that is drafted or even invited to tryout with a CHL team has to be on eggshells because the NCAA is watching?? Stupid.

The NCAA should A) severely limit Canadians on its hockey rosters, just like Jr teams do for imports--1-2/year tops and B) follow its own rules.

Yeah, it's an asinine rule and it puts the NCAA clubs at a direct disadvantage competitively. The only significant difference between the NCAA and the CHL with regard to "amateurism" is that CHL players can sign endorsement deals and market themselves. If an individual player doesn't do so, then what's the problem?

CHL teams love it though, I'll tell you that. They can poach elite talent from even the best college programs AND they know their players are never at risk of being taken by the competition once they play a game.

Just another silly, antiquated rule from the NCAA. They literally act like a cartel, monopolizing young talent in basketball and football. Luckily for the players some real competition exists in hockey. It's too bad, I'm sure there are lots of young guys that would benefit from an extra year or two in a developmental setting and a college degree. If they would just loosen up on some of these draconian restrictions you'd see an immediate increase in talent at the college level.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

and another thing...

Pat sharp, Pavelski, Greene, Schwartz, Paciorrety, Gaudreau, Okposo, Backes, Wheeler...those are a handful of the impact players or guys wearing a letter in the NHL from the USHL. I'd say your slight of the talent production is the real joke.

The NCAA is not beholden to recruiting from local developement leagues exclusively. In what world is limiting the number of Canadian recruits a progressive move? (Sorry Jonny Toews, you'll have to play in the CHL because we can't have you take the spot of a fine US lad) That's like saying the CHL should never take NCAA decommits. Limiting foreign players in the CHL reeks of Canadian jingoism. If there is a real purpose to it aside from keeping domestic players from being butt-hurt because they lost a spot to someone better than them from another country, please inform me.

I'm sure CHL teams eschew money making opportunities all the time for the integrity of the game:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Pat sharp, Pavelski, Greene, Schwartz, Paciorrety, Gaudreau, Okposo, Backes, Wheeler...those are a handful of the impact players or guys wearing a letter in the NHL from the USHL. I'd say your slight of the talent production is the real joke.

The NCAA is not beholden to recruiting from local developement leagues exclusively. In what world is limiting the number of Canadian recruits a progressive move? (Sorry Jonny Toews, you'll have to play in the CHL because we can't have you take the spot of a fine US lad) That's like saying the CHL should never take NCAA decommits. Limiting foreign players in the CHL reeks of Canadian jingoism. If there is a real purpose to it aside from keeping domestic players from being butt-hurt because they lost a spot to someone better than them from another country, please inform me.

I'm sure CHL teams eschew money making opportunities all the time for the integrity of the game:sarcasm:

Right on about the CHL and it's Canadian bias. Teams are allowed a maximum of two European players and just a few years ago they completely outlawed European goaltenders because Ontarian goalies have been so poor in recent years. Even now a disproportionate share of goaltenders in the league are American. Lot's of the CHL brass seem to subscribe to the philosophy of Don Cherry in this matter.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
You would then give a junior player this leverage.

Trade or ill go NCAA. No one wants that.

Michigan had some injuries. Lets go get some junior guys enrolled in school before the start of next semester. Hey we are playing for a championship so jump on or stay on your rebuilding junior team.

Oh hey i dont like college i leave. Junior is even worse. Now can i go back to any NCAA school?

The NHL and KHL had to agree on transfers.

The NCAA and Junior are right next to each other. Could get even worse.

There would need to be so much language on who when and how one could go back and forth.

NCAA needs players enrolled. Cannot wait on a junior try out. The roster is not just hockey based its school based. Scholarship based. Cant wait and see how a try out goes. Then offer a scholarship while still having an equally talented player on stand by.

Too many variables.

Other USHL players.

Gordie Howe 1945-46 nuff said.

goon

and another thing...

I agree, this is a dumb rule. The NCAA has used that CHL players are professionals because they get paid a stipend. Now, a lot of Division I schools are paying their hockey players Cost of Attendance Allowances. So, I think the NCAA should go back and take a look at that rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad