NCAA approves immediate eligibility for football and basketball transfers

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
NCAA council approves rule giving players immediate eligibility after transferring

The rule is expected to become official on April 28 and go into effect for the next school year.

Other sports (including hockey) SOL for now.
Not what it says.

Under the new rule, basketball, football and hockey players who want to transfer and play the following season at their new schools need to announce their intentions by May 1. Baseball players have until July 1 to put their names in the transfer portal.

Only these 4 sports had the rule to begin with.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think this is good news for the major programs in these sports. Alabama sends basically its entire starting lineup to the NFL, Saban can just tell any 5 star

"Come play with me and after 2 years you will either be playing a lot and poised for the NFL after junior year or if you don't see the field you can transfer after two years to Illinois or Oregon State and start and try and make the NFL that way"

And if all the QB's they recruited were to suck, they can just poach some kid who fell through the cracks but became a star at Colorado.

High school recruiting is going to mean so much less now.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I think this is good news for the major programs in these sports. Alabama sends basically its entire starting lineup to the NFL, Saban can just tell any 5 star

"Come play with me and after 2 years you will either be playing a lot and poised for the NFL after junior year or if you don't see the field you can transfer after two years to Illinois or Oregon State and start and try and make the NFL that way"

And if all the QB's they recruited were to suck, they can just poach some kid who fell through the cracks but became a star at Colorado.

High school recruiting is going to mean so much less now.

What was so funny was Saban coming out against this, citing classes. "You sit a guy out because he didn't go to class this week, and then next thing you know he is looking to transfer." So let it never be said coaches don't care about kids going to class. If it allows them to maintain their complete control of athletes' lives, then it's a good thing!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad