NBCSN to air five Big Ten hockey games; 12 Notre Dame games + streams for rest

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Awesome, gotta love it.

Between NHL games normally on TV, the greatly increased number of collegiate games on the tube, the AHL Wolves airing all their games on Xfinity TV, and my new Gamecenter Live account, doubting I'll have much issues finding good hockey to watch on any given night.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The more hockey on TV the better, I guess... but seems odd that they're getting a deal for their hockey program, as it's not like it has the national following that their football program has.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
None of the teams that made the Frozen Four last season are on that schedule. In fact, the teams that made the regional finals are represented just two times: New Hampshire and North Dakota are there once each. Amherst, a team that has only been to one NCAA tournament and is almost totally irrelevant to college hockey, is on there four times.

This is a natural extension of NBC's relationship with Notre Dame through football, but I don't think it's going to generate the same kind of relative pull.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
None of the teams that made the Frozen Four last season are on that schedule. In fact, the teams that made the regional finals are represented just two times: New Hampshire and North Dakota are there once each. Amherst, a team that has only been to one NCAA tournament and is almost totally irrelevant to college hockey, is on there four times.

This is a natural extension of NBC's relationship with Notre Dame through football, but I don't think it's going to generate the same kind of relative pull.

Actually I think what NBC may be banking on is the name brand recognition: Big Ten and Notre Dame. The schools have very strong followings nationally. The smaller schools with hockey programs just don't have the pull or name recognition to pull general audiences in, imo.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA

I wouldnt call Amherst irrelevant to college hockey (I think you are referring to Umass)..

masa2009

May 11, 2011
Why is Notre Dame announcing an agreement directly with NBCSN?
I get that they can do that in FB because they are independent, but in hockey they belong to a conference.
I see it's just home games.
Do they have special a clause with Hockey East that allows ND to sell these games on their own?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad