NBCSN shutting down

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
NBC will shut down the NBC Sports Network at the end of the year.
NBC Sports Chairman Pete Bevacqua announced the move Friday in an internal memo to staff.
“At the conclusion of 2021, we have decided that the best strategic next step for our Sports Group and the entire Company is to wind down NBCSN completely,” Bevacqua said in the memo.
NBC Sports Network is best known for carrying NHL and English Premier League games as well as NASCAR and IndyCar races. It also carries a significant amount of programming during the Olympics.
NBC will parcel out events between USA Network and its Peacock streaming service.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
NHL needs to make games easier to watch, so moving from NBCSN to USA isn't a bad thing in my mind since USA Network is included in almost all basic cable TV packages

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
NHL needs to make games easier to watch, so moving from NBCSN to USA isn't a bad thing in my mind since USA Network is included in almost all basic cable TV packages

Isn't NBCSN also on almost all tiers of cable and satellite packages?
I think this is a tough blow for the NHL and Nascar. I don't see USA dedicating as much supporting programing to their lineup.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I think this is a tough blow for the NHL and Nascar. I don't see USA dedicating as much supporting programing to their lineup.

Maybe it's changed, but NBCSN required a more expensive package than basic cable last I checked (granted the last time I checked was at least a few years ago)

Reactions: Buffaloed

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
NBC will shut down the NBC Sports Network at the end of the year.
NBC Sports Chairman Pete Bevacqua announced the move Friday in an internal memo to staff.
“At the conclusion of 2021, we have decided that the best strategic next step for our Sports Group and the entire Company is to wind down NBCSN completely,” Bevacqua said in the memo.
NBC Sports Network is best known for carrying NHL and English Premier League games as well as NASCAR and IndyCar races. It also carries a significant amount of programming during the Olympics.
NBC will parcel out events between USA Network and its Peacock streaming service.

To be honest - and perhaps naive - about it, I dislike "nationally telecast" games that are broadcast on NBC, NBCSN, etc... (NOT including SN in this...). I despise most of the announcers, the intermissions and the commercials.

National games preempt the local broadcast. I'd rather watch the Sabres via my NHL TV subscription.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From an article I read about the move to USA, USA has 86.2 million subscribers to NBC Sports' 80.6 million. Not a huge proportional difference but we are still talking about 5 1/2 million more people.

Reactions: joshjull

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe it's changed, but NBCSN required a more expensive package than basic cable last I checked (granted the last time I checked was at least a few years ago)

In almost all cases, station owners charge the cable/sat TV provider more for sports channels than for non-sports channels, because they know how people react when they can't watch their sports. This is why most cable/sat TV providers put those in a more expensive tier , because it's the most sensible way to recover that cost.

I'm not going to say that cable/sat TV providers are saints, but over the last 10 years the channel owners have absolutely been the driving force behind cost increases.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Maybe USA gets some special event games and playoff games, but most of the NBCSN regular season games are probably going to end up on Peacock.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Comcast's (CMCSA) NBCUniversal to Shut Down NBCSN by 2021-End
NBCSN was a failure of concepts and principles. You can't build a premium tier sports network in the USA around NASCAR, English Premier League Soccer, and NHL Hockey. It lacks connectivity with which to create synergies. Without synergy it's not possible to reach critical mass. These sports are best used as la carte streaming and in basic consumer channels.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe USA gets some special event games and playoff games, but most of the NBCSN regular season games are probably going to end up on Peacock.

Highly doubt that.

The NHL's contract with NBC would be very specific to the television broadcasts. Streaming rights are handled completely separately. There is no way that the NBC has the rights to take the TV broadcasts they are committed to and move them to their own streaming service. Not only would this be a rights violation, NBC would likely be on the hook for massive breach of contract damages.

NBC will make more money simply by shutting down NBCSN, moving the premium sports content to USA, and showing fewer syndicated show re-runs.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's not what they're saying. They're saying NHL and Premier League goes to USA. Keep in mind that USA has apparently fallen hard behind its competitors TBS and TNT. It has almost no original programming besides WWE (once a week?). It's all syndicated programs. So they have plenty of air space for NHL and Premier League games to slide in with nowhere to go but up ratings-wise.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There really isn’t a big deal in this.

it’s about channel consolidation.

all live sports contracts will move to USA network

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's not what they're saying. They're saying NHL and Premier League goes to USA. Keep in mind that USA has apparently fallen hard behind its competitors TBS and TNT. It has almost no original programming besides WWE (once a week?). It's all syndicated programs. So they have plenty of air space for NHL and Premier League games to slide in with nowhere to go but up ratings-wise.

USA NETWORK has had some original programming but it wasn’t that much. These series were 10-15 per season type.

given Covid shut down with some series programming I’m u sure ifthey are still doing that.

personally I think there will be more consolidation elsewhere like TBS and TNT throw all sports programming under one channel. If there was any surplus or conflicts you throw it on the other

the bigger problem is fees attached to stations on cable. Other sports networks aren’t getting espn fees.

while peop,e are worried about streaming, the problrm is streaming service doesn’t have the bandwidth if everyone went streaming.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The issue is nbcsn in cable is aligned to an add on package. Nfl network fought with cable to not be in this and be part of the package everyone gets when they get the default cable package.

USA has more viewers because it’s a default channel while other cable companies put nbcsn and other standard sports programming like nhl nba, mlb, tennis, etc into a sports tier digital. Then there is a fringier package that has things like ESPN, cbssn, college conference networks, outdoor and hunting/fishing type of networks.

with my cable package I have to pay this secondary sports package if I want nfl red zone channel

There are more than enough sports for sports networks beyond ESPN to survive

streaming doesn’t work. Bandwidth isn’t there in 85% of the country

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
NBC Plans To Shutter NBC Sports Network By End Of Year
The big question is how a league like the NHL reacts to the shutting down of a network that has carried its games for the past 15 years. The NHL’s deal with NBC ends after this season. The NHL has made it clear that it wants to split its rights between at least two TV outlets. NBC has told the NHL that it would carve out regular windows on its broadcast channel and USA Network, which is in 86.2 million homes, plus Peacock.

Expect Fox and/or ESPN getting blocks of games. Bettman alluded to that sort of broadcast deal coming during the playoffs. It won't be just NBC showing national games.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How do you think most TV data is being transmitted to set top cable boxes these days?

there is a big difference between data packaged and live video. Thst isn’t taking into account that 80% of the country doesn’t have the bandwidth for internet

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
NBC Plans To Shutter NBC Sports Network By End Of Year
The big question is how a league like the NHL reacts to the shutting down of a network that has carried its games for the past 15 years. The NHL’s deal with NBC ends after this season. The NHL has made it clear that it wants to split its rights between at least two TV outlets. NBC has told the NHL that it would carve out regular windows on its broadcast channel and USA Network, which is in 86.2 million homes, plus Peacock.

Expect Fox and/or ESPN getting blocks of games. Bettman alluded to that sort of broadcast deal coming during the playoffs. It won't be just NBC showing national games.

most sports network have multiple network deals. That isn’t the problrm

the fact nbc sfifts from nbcsn to USA does not matter. TNT is not a sports network named yet it airs sports

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Is Peacock a subscription streaming service?
There is a free, ad-supported version that does not include sports or original, Peacock-only programming. There are then pay versions with or without ads that have the sports and original content. I got a year of the ad version half off because many Premier league games are on there.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
there is a big difference between data packaged and live video. Thst isn’t taking into account that 80% of the country doesn’t have the bandwidth for internet

When you are talking about the feed directly off a camera vs what you get on your TV, yes. But the transmission you get at your cable box is, in fact, just a data stream.

Each channel in cable systems is 6MHz; that's a holdover from the analog days. When using 256-QAM modulation, each 6Mhz channel can carry about 38.5Mbps. ( 64-QAM is a little bit less, but still around 31Mbps. ) Since that conversion, all channels have been sent to boxes using MPEG-TS (Transport Stream), which is carrying MPEG-2 or H.264 encoded video streams to the set top box. It's no different than what happens when you open your laptop and start watching something.

The only substantive difference between your set top box and your laptop is that one is on demand and the other isn't. It's all being sent to you the same way.

To you other point, I just ran a report, and 91% of the zip codes in the US have watched at least 1 HD stream off my CDN in the last month. This is not to say that broadband penetration in the US is great ; it's terrible, and needs to be better. But it's factually incorrect that 80% of the country doesn't have the bandwidth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad