NBC will offer in-market streaming of all first round games EXCEPT Vegas and Pittsburgh

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Every first-round Stanley Cup Playoff game will be televised on a national platform.

In order to televise as many as five games on a given day/night, NBC Sports Group will utilize NBC, NBCSN, USA Network, CNBC, and NHL Network to carry first-round games. Local blackouts for games on cable no longer apply (excluding Las Vegas and Pittsburgh), so fans in all markets will have the ability to watch or stream their team on NBC Sports’ national telecasts and digital platforms.

NBCSN will be the primary home of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, offering coverage of one or two games virtually every night of the first round. NBC will present six exclusive first-round broadcasts during the weekends of April 13-14 and April 20-21, including a pair of Saturday primetime broadcasts on Saturday, April 13, and Saturday, April 20, at 8 p.m. ET.

USA Network, CNBC, and NHL Network will also provide live coverage in primetime, airing games on a majority of nights.

No games planned for the GOLF NETWORK

The two primetime on NBC most likely will be Boston and Toronto as was the case last year. NBC once again will throw a bone to their struggling O&O in Boston and HNIC in Canada will get the Leafs in their traditional Saturday slot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't hold your breath.

AT&T SN didn't sign deal with Las Vegas cable company Cox until like the DAY of the first game of inaugural season.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don't hold your breath.

AT&T SN didn't sign deal with Las Vegas cable company Cox until like the DAY of the first game of inaugural season.

AT&T SN ( formerly ROOT ) has never signed a deal in Pittsburgh either.

The issue is AT&T does NOT offer local streaming in those markets.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
So you can watch the National Feed even in the local market?

Now, what happens if you don’t have NHL Network? Can you stream?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC doesn’t produce telecast for scheduled NHL network games (use local feed or SN), so those games aren’t available on the NBC app or streaming.

That is still unclear

It appears Calgary/Colorado will prime for NHL Network and possibly St Louis/Winnipeg

NBC owns local rights in Washinton and St Jose so that will factor in. NBC appears to be going all in with Boston/Toronto and NYI/Pittsburgh.

One thing for certain - Sportsnet will not carry any NBC feed that Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller are assigned to - they will take a USA RSN for those games

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The NBC app has never streamed any game that was scheduled to be broadcast fully on NHL Network in the past. I doubt that is changing.

There has to be 3 games on at a given time for a game to fully shift to NHL Network. The Pacific division games will be 10 pm or later (The games in the mountain time zone will be scheduled for 8 local time hour).

I would guess some of the central division games might get an 8:45 central start to be the second half of a double header as well, if need be. Though with Winnipeg likely going to SN in Canada that could end up be a earlier start time for game 1 or 2 and ending up on NHL Network.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NBC app has never streamed any game that was scheduled to be broadcast fully on NHL Network in the past. I doubt that is changing.

There has to be 3 games on at a given time for a game to fully shift to NHL Network. The Pacific division games will be 10 pm or later (The games in the mountain time zone will be scheduled for 8 local time hour).

I would guess some of the central division games might get an 8:45 central start to be the second half of a double header as well, if need be. Though with Winnipeg likely going to SN in Canada that could end up be a earlier start time for game 1 or 2 and ending up on NHL Network.

Last year NBC used the GOLF channel for the overflow games and took heat for it - even though it is in more US homes than the NHL Network.

NBC owns the streaming rights in the US for the playoffs so who knows :dunno:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
But Golf Channel came in lue of USA/CNBC as the second option. I think contractually NBC has to provide two channels for for games and if there is a third conflict that game goes to NHL Network. Those NHLN games have never been streamed

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
NBC will only show BOS/TOR and NYI/PIT. Most of the other series will be a dud for ratings.

Here's my prediction on how the "draft" up in Canada will go:

CBC- BOS/TOR
CBC- CGY/COL
TSN- WPG/STL
CBC- NYI/PIT
TSN-
CBC-
TSN-
TSN-

The last 4 series don't really matter. The networks will just take whatever fills out doubleheaders easier.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NBC will only show BOS/TOR and NYI/PIT. Most of the other series will be a dud for ratings.

Here's my prediction on how the "draft" up in Canada will go:

CBC- BOS/TOR
CBC- CGY/COL
TSN- WPG/STL
CBC- NYI/PIT
TSN-
CBC-
TSN-
TSN-

The last 4 series don't really matter. The networks will just take whatever fills out doubleheaders easier.

TSN hasn’t had the rights for 5 years now! Sportsnet owns all the rights and sublets to CBC now.

Reactions: OddyOh and rabi

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
So I live in NY, but I should be able to get the national feed of PIT-Isles?

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
NBC'S PBP lineup absolutely blows away the crap Sportsnet trots out on a nightly basis. I'd take Gord Miller, Chris Cuthbert, Kenny Albert and Doc anyday of the week

Reactions: donghabs98

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
VGK showing all games regionally (1-5). So, no exclusive national games.

We'll see about games 6 & 7 (if needed).

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
NBC'S PBP lineup absolutely blows away the crap Sportsnet trots out on a nightly basis. I'd take Gord Miller, Chris Cuthbert, Kenny Albert and Doc anyday of the week
Forgot John Forslund too, he's one of the best in my opinion as well

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
TSN hasn’t had the rights for 5 years now! Sportsnet owns all the rights and sublets to CBC now.
Ok wasn't aware of that.

Hopefully in a few years FOX and ESPN will be having a playoff draft. Probably go something like this:

FOX: NYI/PIT
ESPN: BOS/TOR
FOX: SJ/LV
ESPN: WSH/CAR
FOX: NSH/DAL
ESPN: CGY/COL
FOX: TB/CBJ
ESPN: WPG/STL

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
EC_2019%20R1-07094439.PNG

WC_2019%20R1-07092325.PNG

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It sounds like Tirico will call a game or two after the Masters this weekend.

The announced list of broadcasters for NBC in round 1:

Play-by-play:
Mike Emrick
Kenny Albert
John Forslund
Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert
Alex Faust
Brendan Burke
Mike Tirico

Color analyst:
Pierre McGuire
Eddie Olczyk
Brian Boucher
Mike Johnson
Ray Ferraro
Joe Micheletti
AJ Mleczko
Kendall Coyne Schofield
Mike Milbury

NBC SPORTS GROUP’S COVERAGE OF 2019 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS BEGINS WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH FIVE GAME 1 MATCHUPS

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 1 MatchupPlay-by-PlayAnalysts
CBJ-TBLJohn ForslundPierre McGuire
PIT-NYIKenny AlbertAJ Mleczko, Brian Boucher
STL-WPGDave RandorfLouie DeBrusk, Scott Oake
DAL-NSHChris CuthbertJoe Micheletti
VGK-SJSAlex FaustMike Johnson
TOR-BOSMike “Doc” EmrickMike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSHBrendan BurkePierre McGuire
COL-CGYGord MillerRay Ferarro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Cuthbert-Micheletti.......best combination in the playoffs, north and south of the border.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

If Carolina/Washington makes it to Game 6, watch as NBC doesn't show that game, either.

NBC, for whatever reason, does not view Carolina as a viable market moreso than the Canadian markets that don't factor into Nielsen ratings, and as a result, probably will do everything to avoid showing games in Carolina. Gives me another incentive to support the Jerks.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If Carolina/Washington makes it to Game 6, watch as NBC doesn't show that game, either.

NBC, for whatever reason, does not view Carolina as a viable market moreso than the Canadian markets that don't factor into Nielsen ratings, and as a result, probably will do everything to avoid showing games in Carolina. Gives me another incentive to support the Jerks.

Are you under the impression that there will be no national coverage of Game 4 (April 18) because it's not yet shown on that chart? NBC has stated that all games will be aired nationally on one of their networks. No network has been given for that game yet because there are also Game 5s from other series that may happen that night. So, NBC is not committing to what is aired where until it is known who all is playing.

But don't let logic get in the way of your rant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->