NBC shutting down NBCSN

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Network television is dying. Within 10 years everything major will be on a streaming service. It's inevitable. Standard cable we'll be relegated to local TV stations and specialty channels.

Reactions: rodney dangerfield

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm going to miss NBCSN. Not just because of hockey, but because they also aired Premier League matches, and in recent years they've had a lot of great rugby coverage. But they've already started putting some of the best EPL games on Peacock, and I can't imagine USA is going to be showing much rugby. And I'm not interested ENOUGH in those other events/sports to pay money for a streaming service on top of the money I'm already paying for streaming services.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Reactions: AvsFanInMichigan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What is NBCSN? I was under the impression that the national games in the US were just broadcast on NBC itself, and regional broadcasts were done through a variety of regional networks like Fox, NESN, Altitude etc.

Where does NBCSN fit in?

Reactions: BHD

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
can't wait to watch those elk hunting reruns after a game

hell yeah

They should give Joe Rogan a spot before and after a game so people can know how good an Elk that has been on DMT tastes. And some random facts about Monkeys and Silverbacks should make it the most popular NHL channel of all time.

Reactions: tny760

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
4e08ca8dccd1d53739020000

Well they'll pass you by, glory days

I finally had that guitar riff out of my head.

wildbill97

Jan 17, 2021
St. Louis (From MN)
What is NBCSN? I was under the impression that the national games in the US were just broadcast on NBC itself, and regional broadcasts were done through a variety of regional networks like Fox, NESN, Altitude etc.

Where does NBCSN fit in?
NBCSN used to be Versus...which used to be OLN. After the lockout, the NHL could only secure a TV deal with OLN. All these years later and most NHL games broadcast nationally in the US are on NBCSN.

NBCSN shutting down has everything to do with NBC's "Peacock" streaming service. We're entering an era where having a network on your TV is one thing...and having that network's exclusive streaming service (at a monthly fee) is a another. These networks will hoard the best things for their exclusive service.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe the NHL will do something bold, like, you know make their OWN streaming service. Charge ANY fan say 400 bucks to watch EVERY GAME and away you go.

Why is this so hard???

If I 1 million people subscribe thats 400M if 4 million subscribe its 1.2 Billion

NBC paid like 1B for ten years or something.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Maybe the NHL will do something bold, like, you know make their OWN streaming service. Charge ANY fan say 400 bucks to watch EVERY GAME and away you go.

Why is this so hard???

If I 1 million people subscribe thats 400M if 4 million subscribe its 1.2 Billion

They already have a streaming service NHL gamecenter and its $180 for the year. Do you not have that where you live?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I haven't watched anything on ESPN since hockey left.
I don't give a f*** about EPSN. I really don't care where they put hockey. I'll find a way to watch the games I want to watch.
Thank you, internet.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I've heard Pierre McGuire is gonna drive Uber when he no longer has a job at NBC

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

Why is this so hard???

They cannot broadcast EVERY GAME without voiding EVERY local TV contract. Blackouts are to force people to watch the local broadcast. Without blackouts less people watch the local TV channel and the team gets less money on their regional contract. Teams make significantly more from their regional contract than they do the national contract. The additional streaming subscriptions the NHL would get would not come close to making up the lost revenue from the regional contracts.

It is highly highly unlikely 4MM people will subscribe for $400, its probably unlikely that even 1MM ppl will subscribe. Whats the stat, something like 40% of the US cannot afford a $400 unexpected expense. That was pre covid, I am sure the % is even higher now. Expecting 4MM people to spend $400 on hockey is just absurd. Especially when the vast majority of people only watch their local team and a good portion of people don't watch every game from their local team

Center Ice is $180/season you would be increasing the price by $220/year just to watch local games. How many people would pay $220 just to watch their local team? I would bet well under 1MM

So why is it hard? Its not hard at all, they simply have zero desire to do that as it hurts the league

Last edited:
Reactions: Wats and GAGLine

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Yeah, putting your main NHL national non-NBC games behind a paywall... I hope the NHL doesn't agree to that.

They already are behind a paywall, NBCSN requires a monthly subscription. But to have NBCSN you dont have to just pay for NBCSN you have to pay for several other channels as well which you may or may not have any interest in watching.

Having NHL games on Peacock could be a much more economical option for some people than having the games on NBCSN

ESPN is like $8/month to have the channel, ESPN+ is $6. If you just want the live sports and not the talk shows ESPN+ is a much better value than ESPN. Peacock could end up being the better value than NBCSN

only way to watch hockey will be with a PEACOCK subscription

To watch it now you need a subscription to NBCSN

ESPN is not an option unless you want live NHL Hockey on ESPN+

It already is, ESPN+ has had 2 games on almost every night so far this season, some days more some less. Which is substantially more than NBCSN is showing. For $6/month watching hockey on ESPN+ is better value than paying for NBCSN.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

Why is this so hard???

400$ ya no..gamecenter is like 140 i can watch everything. I dont get a lot of blackouts tho unless its the rangers

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Everyone who wanted a la carte cable, this is what you asked for. Paying for everything individually.

And yet I still can't get NHL Network unless I want to pay for MMA, motorsports, hunting and golf channels. Ridiculous.

Reactions: DaveG

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Everyone who wanted a la carte cable, this is what you asked for. Paying for everything individually.

And yet I still can't get NHL Network unless I want to pay for MMA, motorsports, hunting and golf channels. Ridiculous.

Well, until NHL Network can be bought standalone, no this isn’t a la carte...as demonstrated by you then complaining about what else you have to buy...

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad