NBC shutting down NBCSN

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Aside from dial number change I suspect we won't be affected at all.

If you watch PL, its only on during the day. So there is zero conflict with any major programming on USA.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If NBC Sports Network ends, what would it mean for the NHL?

“It’s all good for the NHL,” Patrick Crakes, a former Fox Sports executive who now runs Crakes Media Consulting said. “There is no bad here for the NHL.”

According to Crakes, it’s a two-fold development of positivity for the NHL. For starters, if NHL games are moving from NBCSN to USA, the league is moving into more homes and gaining more viewership.

Crakes said it’s possible that NBC could use the NHL to put exclusive games within it’s Peacock streaming platform, which NBC has been working to bolster, but the NHL likely wouldn’t allow that to happen without at least keeping a similar number of games broadcast on USA or NBC, if not more.

And even if NBC is looking for fewer NHL games, which is possible, it opens the league to more easily pick up a second national TV partner.

“The NHL can now make more money with another high-quality partner in addition to NBC at the end of this deal,” Crakes said. “If that’s the case, where is the bad?”

This could set up a situation where the NHL has a national partnership with NBC and either ESPN or Fox, which both have been reportedly interested in NHL rights once NBC’s deal comes to a close.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

“It’s all good for the NHL,” Patrick Crakes, a former Fox Sports executive who now runs Crakes Media Consulting said. “There is no bad here for the NHL.”

According to Crakes, it’s a two-fold development of positivity for the NHL. For starters, if NHL games are moving from NBCSN to USA, the league is moving into more homes and gaining more viewership.

Crakes said it’s possible that NBC could use the NHL to put exclusive games within it’s Peacock streaming platform, which NBC has been working to bolster, but the NHL likely wouldn’t allow that to happen without at least keeping a similar number of games broadcast on USA or NBC, if not more.

And even if NBC is looking for fewer NHL games, which is possible, it opens the league to more easily pick up a second national TV partner.

“The NHL can now make more money with another high-quality partner in addition to NBC at the end of this deal,” Crakes said. “If that’s the case, where is the bad?”

This could set up a situation where the NHL has a national partnership with NBC and either ESPN or Fox, which both have been reportedly interested in NHL rights once NBC’s deal comes to a close.
nope, this could be another ESPN SCENARIO, TBTH..... why until ESPN + did Disney add the NHL?

Reactions: DaveG and eddygee

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can I please just get the Lightning? Our cable service options out here are such dog shit that if NBCSN shut down I wouldn't so much as get a game

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
NBC has peacock now.. some PL games are already on there. I’d bet NHL is going there. For national broadcasts anyway. Not sure about regionals.
Or maybe this is a sign that NBC is not going to bid on the NHL broadcasting rights at the end of this season.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Comcast customers already have Peacock so this doesn't effect me. Plus I have access to CBC.

NBCSN was worthless as it was.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Or maybe this is a sign that NBC is not going to bid on the NHL broadcasting rights at the end of this season.

They are expected to bid for it. Whether they get outbid or not is another story. Premier League is very happy to move to USA. NHL should be as well.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Please go to Fox...

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They are expected to bid for it. Whether they get outbid or not is another story. Premier League is very happy to move to USA. NHL should be as well.
USA is a much better option than NBCSN anyway, as it is a nationally syndicated basic station.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Kinda strange, thought it was a pretty good sports channel. Surprised they don't get enough viewers to keep it afloat, always assumed they brought in a good amount with their Premier League games.
Didn't they move some EPL games to peacock premium ( the non free one)?

Reactions: cliffclaven

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Easy ways to get any game you need man. Good internet?

Naw I got a million places to go but it's annoying as hell to sift through. I'm more of a "sit on the couch and watch it" kind of guy and it feels like the end of an era considering Fox Sports isn't carried by Frontier and now NBCSN is gonna get nuked

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If the league sticks with NBC going forward and they get on the USA Network for their weeknight prime time games then I can live with that. Where I live having to explain the NBC Sports Network is like having to explain what a catch is in the NFL.

I'm predicting though that NBC and the NHL won't re-up and FOX will come calling, and frankly I don't think that's a bad thing for the NHL.

Reactions: DaveG

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
iu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad