NBC shutting down NBCSN

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
unless you're on ESPN+ FOR LOCAL BROADCASTS

Showing a certain number of games exclusively on a streamed service should be a non-starter, but I wouldn't mind if the NHL allowed more locally covered games onto various streamed services à la ESPN+.

Maybe have an ESPN+ like few games every week on Playstation Plus, XBox Live or Twitch and market it profusely, and you might finally have some kids tuning in.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
The NHL is a regional sport. Travel a few miles outside of NHL cities and nobody watches it. Which is a shame because it is entertaining and better than the other big sports IMO.

Not sure what the future holds but I'm not really into streaming. And I only watch maybe seven channels total on my provider's package I'm subscribed to.

Wonder how long until the regional channels are killed? That's currently where I watch the most of my team play. We get very few national games on NBCSN.

And hell no to ESPN.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Yeah, putting your main NHL national non-NBC games behind a paywall... I hope the NHL doesn't agree to that.
They’ve already started with premier league. At least (right now) it’s only $4.99/month although after the move I’m sure it will go up

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I just want NBC to not have the rights anymore, they’ve done an absolutely embarrassing job of promoting and advertising the league.

They do a good job with the broadcast and the network is (I believe) available on just about every cable/streaming platform, which is all I care about.

Who gives a crap whether or not they promote the league?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah, putting your main NHL national non-NBC games behind a paywall... I hope the NHL doesn't agree to that.

every article on the topic says that if NBC signs a new deal with the NHL the main games would be in USA Network.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
THEY'RE NOT expecting to retain it

They wouldn’t put in their internal memo their plans for the league, if they planning to just let the rights go and not sign a new deal.

obviously any new deal won’t be exclusive, but it seems they are still a bidder.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
every article on the topic says that if NBC signs a new deal with the NHL the main games would be in USA Network.

They need to stipulate that into the contract if they do end up signing another one.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
isn't USA network owned by NBC?

it's not like NBCSN offered any interesting programming outside of the NHL (unless you're into nascar or soccer.) don't really see any big deal with this. but i do wish the NHL would return to ESPN

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wow. No more ANW reruns.

No wonder Doc retired.

NHL has the WORST marketing team in all of sports.

Women's Lacrosse does a better job.

Reactions: rodney dangerfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad