NBC does it again

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Because names like Selannee, Alfredsson, Ovechkin and Forsberg are so hard to pronounce... They are pronounced exactly how they sound. Why would people care if they are not from the US? They are players, who cares? Why everyone in the MLB and NBA are from the US? Not close. Half the MLB these days are from the Latin American countries, and half the NBA these days are from Europe.

Also, last I checked, a guy named Lundqvist is the most popular player on the Rangers...

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Again, only small-minded people such as yourself believe things like this. It's pretty sad how some of you go off the idea of Americans you see on tv or the movies and run with it. Get the chip off your shoulder and think about the following post for a few minutes:

Good one buddy, was I the one who made a reference to Great White Athletes, or was it one of your fellow Americans?
Listen, you can make excuses till you are blue in the face, you can explain and excuse over and over again.
Facts are facts, for whatever reason the vast, vast majoirty of Americans (specifically in Sourthern Markets Betteman expanded into the last 10 years) dont give a damn about hockey. The ratings speak for themself. By cultural difference, I am trying to explain something that clearly exists. Why should someone in Florida care for hockey when they've never gone skating?
Do you have another reason, because again, facts are facts. I dont have to rehash the numbers for you here.
So please lets here another excuse from you.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Wow, this sounds like baiting, though god knows I can't make out half of it. Oh well, I'm kinda bored right now. :)
Good one buddy, was I the one who made a reference to Great White Athletes, or was it one of your fellow Americans?
Did I say you were? What's your point here? I don't know why the guy brought that up, and he's not explaining himself so I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Anyone who likes hockey because they think it's a "white sport" has a bit of a screw loose IMO.

By cultural difference, I am trying to explain something that clearly exists. Why should someone in Florida care for hockey when they've never gone skating?
I will explain a typical scenario from someone I know from these boards, since he's a native Floridian and I am not:
  • parent(s) are from up north, moved to FL years ago
  • kids are born down here
  • parents are hockey fans, get season tickets to NHL games and bring kids to games
  • kids grow up to be hockey fans
Is this THAT hard to imagine or understand?

Do you have another reason, because again, facts are facts. I dont have to rehash the numbers for you here.
So please lets here another excuse from you.
Honestly, wth are you going on about? It's been pointed out to you by several people now that many foreign athletes in various sports are famous in the U.S. and beloved by American fans, yet you're maintaining that hockey is some sort of exception to this? Maybe you only like the local boys, but most people like good athletes no matter where they're from. People either take to hockey or they don't, but if they're never exposed to it they definitely won't.

You also might want to brush up on your expansion history. Most of the franchises you typically complain about weren't awarded by Bettman.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Wow, this sounds like baiting, though god knows I can't make out half of it. Oh well, I'm kinda bored right now. :)

Did I say you were? What's your point here? I don't know why the guy brought that up, and he's not explaining himself so I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Anyone who likes hockey because they think it's a "white sport" has a bit of a screw loose IMO.

I will explain a typical scenario from someone I know from these boards, since he's a native Floridian and I am not:
  • parent(s) are from up north, moved to FL years ago
  • kids are born down here
  • parents are hockey fans, get season tickets to NHL games and bring kids to games
  • kids grow up to be hockey fans
Is this THAT hard to imagine or understand?

Honestly, wth are you going on about? It's been pointed out to you by several people now that many foreign athletes in various sports are famous in the U.S. and beloved by American fans, yet you're maintaining that hockey is some sort of exception to this? Maybe you only like the local boys, but most people like good athletes no matter where they're from. People either take to hockey or they don't, but if they're never exposed to it they definitely won't.

You also might want to brush up on your expansion history. Most of the franchises you typically complain about weren't awarded by Bettman.

Ok, then explain away. Please provide me some logic for this scenerio. The vast majority of teams from Southern markets are under supported. You can go from Nashville, to Atlanta, to Florida, to Phoenix you will find there is tiny fan bases. TV ratings confirm as much. I am trying to provide a logical basis to explain why the NHL struggles so badly in these markets, generally these are good sports markets. Basketball, football and baseball do just fine. I have stated that hockeys struggles may be due to cultural differences, growing up with the game in Canada and parts of the Northern States you find the general public more likely to support hockey IMO.
This has, for some strange reason, offended you. So like I said, facts spell out that hockey is doing very poorly in these markets despite the NHL's best efforts.
Explain why this is? Dont provide me with lame excuses, but simply provide something to explain what we see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->