NBC does it again

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Which is why people should be angry with the league and not NBC.

You could even say it's not the NHL's fault. They are desperate to gain exposure and try to grow the game nationally in the USA. They dance with the NBC because it's the only willing network partner and they give the product away for free. The 'fault' belongs to the general public which is not interested in watching the NHL games on TV in sufficient numbers. JMHO

GHOST

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
You could even say it's not the NHL's fault. They are desperate to gain exposure and try to grow the game nationally in the USA. They dance with the NBC because it's the only willing network partner and they give the product away for free. The 'fault' belongs to the general public which is not interested in watching the NHL games on TV in sufficient numbers. JMHO

GHOST

They could have just done that with ABC/ESPN. No rights fees, and ESPN would have taken better care of them no matter if it was ESPN 1 or ESPN2

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Maybe if they stopped having stupid early Saturday games, this wouldn't have happened.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I hate the playoffs on national TV anyway. Give me Rangers games on MSG anyday.

Playoff OT is some of the most exciting hockey. I can't stand that people wanna axe/change it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not even a Stanley Cup Finals elimination game between two large American markets? If so, things are even worse than I thought. Either that or Preakness is a much bigger event in the USA than I had imagined.

GHOST

I work for Off-Track Betting (OTB) and the Preakness is a much bigger event in the USA then you have imagined.

Horse Racing is huge, despite how lame it sounds to some. The Triple Crown races - The Belmont Stakes, The Preakness, and the Kentucky Derby - are 3 of the highest grossing sporting events around the world. People from all around the world bet on those 3 races.

The NHL has declined so much over the years, and Wayne Gretzky's retirement doesn't exactly help the sport either, as it leaves it without an embassador. With that being said, Gary Bettman's overexpansion into poor hockey markets, and the lack of quality advertising and a model superstar to do so with is killing this sport in the states.

This sport needs a player like Gretzky... or an American version of a guy like Crosby. That would be HUGE for Hockey here in the states.

However, in my opinion, the NHL lost it's shot at becoming one of the big-4 sports when it striked right after the Rangers won the cup. That was hockey's high point, seeing the Rangers, a big market team that went 54 years without the cup. They were America's team, against a Canadian team that never won a cup.

I'm not going to sit here and go over the good ol' days, but my point is that the NHL will never be embraced here as it was at that time.

It's time that they stop trying to advertize to a general populus that doesn't give a flying **** about the sport. Give hockey to the diehards, and keep it that way. Support the people who always have and always will support the sport.

deadinmi

Jan 23, 2005
Michigan
I work for Off-Track Betting (OTB) and the Preakness is a much bigger event in the USA then you have imagined.

Horse Racing is huge, despite how lame it sounds to some. The Triple Crown races - The Belmont Stakes, The Preakness, and the Kentucky Derby - are 3 of the highest grossing sporting events around the world. People from all around the world bet on those 3 races.

I don't get why people complain and whine about this.. Until a single non-cup final game can bring in the kind of ratings and ad dollars that the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont bring in, hockey fans need to shut up. We can't change anything, we are the ones who already watch these games anyways. Basicly, imo the NHL will NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS bring in the kind of viewers and ad dollars those big three horse races do... And basicly, it's not Gary Betman's fault either, cus if anyone cares to think back to before him, the NHL was still on NBC and they still cut away to horse racing... So, the horse racing contract predates and is better for the station than the NHL games are, so, frankly, I don't blame them... And be ready for them to cut away for the Belmont if we are still playing then too.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo

The NHL has declined so much over the years, and Wayne Gretzky's retirement doesn't exactly help the sport either, as it leaves it without an embassador. With that being said, Gary Bettman's overexpansion into poor hockey markets, and the lack of quality advertising and a model superstar to do so with is killing this sport in the states.

This sport needs a player like Gretzky... or an American version of a guy like Crosby. That would be HUGE for Hockey here in the states.

However, in my opinion, the NHL lost it's shot at becoming one of the big-4 sports when it striked right after the Rangers won the cup. That was hockey's high point, seeing the Rangers, a big market team that went 54 years without the cup. They were America's team, against a Canadian team that never won a cup.

I'm not going to sit here and go over the good ol' days, but my point is that the NHL will never be embraced here as it was at that time.

It's time that they stop trying to advertize to a general populus that doesn't give a flying **** about the sport. Give hockey to the diehards, and keep it that way. Support the people who always have and always will support the sport.
Thank you!!!!!

seriously..the NHL needs to stop the money grab.

and focus on what they have..and make the league for the the fans better and better.

there are millions of NHL fans in North America..the sport isnt going to die..

if games are all on Versus instead of NBC...who cares..as long as we get the games

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
My main gripe isn't so much with NBC or even at the NHL. Its with the general American populace that places gambling and horses above great white athletes such as the ones playing in the NHL. Its a sad statement on our culture

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
They could have just done that with ABC/ESPN. No rights fees, and ESPN would have taken better care of them no matter if it was ESPN 1 or ESPN2
You and I have very different memories of how ESPN took care of hockey. And that was before they got the rights to the NBA ... if you think the ESPN would give the NHL - and it's comparitively miniscule TV ratings - priority over basketball, I think you'd be in for a surprise.

My main gripe isn't so much with NBC or even at the NHL. Its with the general American populace that places gambling and horses above great white athletes such as the ones playing in the NHL. Its a sad statement on our culture
Uhhh, what? Why specifiy the color of the athletes?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005

:biglaugh:
Wow, make that a 100% on the brainless meter.
On a similar issue though, perhaps one of the issues with hockey is the lack of an American star. Do you think guys with names like Selannee, Alfredsson, Ovechkin and Forsberg have trouble connecting to Joe America unlike say.. Peyton Manning or Kurt Schilling... I think its probably a factor.
Even a guy like Crosby, at the end of the day is from Nova Scotia, not Pittsburgh. The cultural difference is vast.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I don't get why people complain and whine about this.. Until a single non-cup final game can bring in the kind of ratings and ad dollars that the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont bring in, hockey fans need to shut up. We can't change anything, we are the ones who already watch these games anyways. Basicly, imo the NHL will NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS bring in the kind of viewers and ad dollars those big three horse races do... And basicly, it's not Gary Betman's fault either, cus if anyone cares to think back to before him, the NHL was still on NBC and they still cut away to horse racing... So, the horse racing contract predates and is better for the station than the NHL games are, so, frankly, I don't blame them... And be ready for them to cut away for the Belmont if we are still playing then too.

I think Belmont is a non-issue

Roundhead

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
On the issue of race I've heard Americans ridiculing the NHL for being "whitebread". A lot of people in the US (no doubt with media encouragement) seem to believe that if a sport is "too white" then it can't be cool. I even heard someone from the Bare Naked Ladies (a Canadian!) make a similar comment on TSN's Off the Record. He said something like hockey players are boring and the reason for that is that "there aren't enough brothers" in the NHL. :shakehead

Roundhead

Apr 26, 2007
Toronto
In today's Toronto Star Chris Zelkovich says the NHL is not upset about any of this:

"NBC was obligated to provide its traditional coverage of the Preakness," said spokesperson Brian Walker. "We protected the game in Buffalo and alerted viewers ... that overtime would be shown on Versus."

That's all well and good, except for a few problems. One is that most Americans couldn't find Versus with a map, compass and GPS. The other is that this makes a pretty bold statement: An hour of pre-race racing blather is far more important to NBC than an overtime conference final.

What's worse is that the NHL isn't outraged.

"We were fully aware of NBC's programming commitments following Game5 between the Sabres and Senators, and the challenges overtime could present for viewers and our network partners," league spokesperson Jamey Horan said. "However, our decision to schedule the game with NBC was done to provide the broadcast to the greatest number of viewers."

Or, in this case, to anger the greatest number of viewers. And don't forget the Versus strongman fans who suddenly found themselves watching hockey.

NBC made a business decision here, choosing high-priced horse advertising over a commercial-free overtime.

But what does this say about the NHL?

It says the league is so desperate to please American networks that it's willing to take this kind of abuse. This is the same league that scheduled Saturday's game for 2 p.m. to appease NBC. That decision deprived Ottawa fans of a traditional Saturday night spot while costing the loyal CBC hundreds of thousands of viewers and countless dollars in ad revenues.

For kowtowing to NBC, the league gets a slap in the face.

More accurately, it got a slap in the face, a punch in the solar plexus and a kick in the rear with a frozen boot.

And don't think this is the end. With a final that could feature Anaheim, a city where few care about hockey, and Ottawa, a city that will require NBC to run a locator map, don't be shocked if NBC leaves overtime for a Celebrity Poker rerun.

And the next time NBC tells us how important the NHL is, forgive us if we laugh

http://www.thestar.com/article/216081

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
You and I have very different memories of how ESPN took care of hockey. And that was before they got the rights to the NBA ... if you think the ESPN would give the NHL - and it's comparitively miniscule TV ratings - priority over basketball, I think you'd be in for a surprise.

Oh come on... Firstly, the NHL doesn't deserve NFL/MLB or NBA like coverage with the dismal ratings it will get no matter what the circumstance is! ESPN is doing a duty to the NHL which they don't need to do seeing how they don't even have the license to the air games and don't have to promote anything. What is so much better about NBC broadcast than that of the ABC ones in the past? Versus does an ok job but Versus is no TNT or Fox, it's a POS station that no one even watches. People actually watch ESPN.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oh come on... Firstly, the NHL doesn't deserve NFL/MLB or NBA like coverage with the dismal ratings it will get no matter what the circumstance is! ESPN is doing a duty to the NHL which they don't need to do seeing how they don't even have the license to the air games and don't have to promote anything. What is so much better about NBC broadcast than that of the ABC ones in the past? Versus does an ok job but Versus is no TNT or Fox, it's a POS station that no one even watches. People actually watch ESPN.

how many ppl watched Anaheim & Detroit tonight on Versus than watched ESPN, PortlandRanger, it's ppl like you who whine & complain about Versus.

ESPN made its decision to walk away from the NHL when it looked like the NHL would never return but the lockout lasted a single year.

Would we be watching Anaheim or Ottawa play for Lord Stanley's chalice if there were no CBA?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Only to some ignorant people.

I sincerely hope marillion-fan up there didn't mean that like it sounded. Yikes

No offense, but ask your average American (especially the further you get from Canada) and we both know how little they would know or care for Canada. Its a fact, I know it, you know it. So yes, the cultural difference is vast. To the average Joe American in the US south do Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and even Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver even exist?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
how many ppl watched Anaheim & Detroit tonight on Versus than watched ESPN, PortlandRanger, it's ppl like you who whine & complain about Versus.

ESPN made its decision to walk away from the NHL when it looked like the NHL would never return but the lockout lasted a single year.

Would we be watching Anaheim or Ottawa play for Lord Stanley's chalice if there were no CBA?

LOL, you know that Both Detroit and Anaheim's market have something like 40% of their market where versus is unavailable? Read Howard Bloom's sports business news. Versus is a complete joke and having your games on that channel officially downgrades your TV presence below AFL, MLS etc.

By the way, after Bettman gave NBC games for free BEFORE the lockout, why the heck would ESPN want to pay as much as they did for something that A) Wasn't making them much money (if any) and B) was being given out for free?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
No offense, but ask your average American (especially the further you get from Canada) and we both know how little they would know or care for Canada. Its a fact, I know it, you know it. So yes, the cultural difference is vast. To the average Joe American in the US south do Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and even Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver even exist?

Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa... probably not, Toronto and Montreal yes. Vancouver is half way between I'd say. What does that matter? You're arguing with a Hockey fan, not the average southern American.

Jazz

Never say never.

Things do change, but over decades, not years.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
:biglaugh:
Wow, make that a 100% on the brainless meter.
On a similar issue though, perhaps one of the issues with hockey is the lack of an American star. Do you think guys with names like Selannee, Alfredsson, Ovechkin and Forsberg have trouble connecting to Joe America unlike say.. Peyton Manning or Kurt Schilling... I think its probably a factor.
Even a guy like Crosby, at the end of the day is from Nova Scotia, not Pittsburgh. The cultural difference is vast.

Joe America has no problems with names like Matsuzaka, Posada, & Pierzysnki, or Nowitzki, Ginobli, & Olajuwon. At this point, the names or nationalities of players is losing momentum as a reason for America to not connect with hockey.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Again, only small-minded people such as yourself believe things like this. It's pretty sad how some of you go off the idea of Americans you see on tv or the movies and run with it. Get the chip off your shoulder and think about the following post for a few minutes:

Joe America has no problems with names like Matsuzaka, Posada, & Pierzysnki, or Nowitzki, Ginobli, & Olajuwon. At this point, the names or nationalities of players is losing momentum as a reason for America to not connect with hockey.
This should be pretty obvious, but I guess it did need pointing out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad