NBA to follow WNBA and G League with in season tournament

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Such a dumb idea. But I am not shocked its coming from Silver and his pals.

Regular season at this point is getting boring since you know which teams are going to the playoffs and who is really going to contend for the championship. This will atleast add a bit more excitement and draw fans from teams not really contending.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Regular season at this point is getting boring since you know which teams are going to the playoffs and who is really going to contend for the championship. This will atleast add a bit more excitement and draw fans from teams not really contending.

Players are not going to give it their all. They will half ass it and not risk getting hurt, especially if its in February.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I honestly and truthfully can't imagine a scenario where I'd care about a mid-season tournament in any sport. Heck, even a step further, I'd mock banner raisings for a thing like that to boot.

And, truth be told, if literally any on my team's players were injured in the thing, I'd be furious.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Players are not going to give it their all. They will half ass it and not risk getting hurt, especially if its in February.
Some won’t. And some will realize that this might be the only trophy within reach in a given season. That’s kind of what makes it potentially different.

Now the next step is to realize that any league’s regular season and a knockout playoff are fundamentally different competitions and treat it that way. How football in England evolved should really be a message to North American pro leagues. My argument is doing so optimizes BOTH.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Some won’t. And some will realize that this might be the only trophy within reach in a given season. That’s kind of what makes it potentially different.
You know as well as I do that people are going to treat (rightfully, in this case) in season tournament wins as Mickey Mouse titles. They already do that for COVID titles, and those are just as rightful wins as any others in non-COVID seasons.

Reactions: Reaser and Voight

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You know as well as I do that people are going to treat (rightfully, in this case) in season tournament wins as Mickey Mouse titles. They already do that for COVID titles, and those are just as rightful wins as any others in non-COVID seasons.
NBA also completely miss the point on why these cup competitions in soccer works.

Its the fact that it gives lower league teams rare opportunity to play top tier teams.

Reactions: oknazevad

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
NBA also completely miss the point on why these cup competitions in soccer works.

Its the fact that it gives lower league teams rare opportunity to play top tier teams.
Exactly. You absolutely know that a match in the FA Cup between a third division team and Chelsea or Tottenham matters a whole hell of a lot more considering the circumstances then anything that could come from a mid-season tournament that basically proves nothing except to make the minnows feel good about punting their season and getting something out of it.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Ya, I don't get the appeal of this. As just about everyone else has pointed out the NBA is obviously trying to emulate what exists in soccer, but the reasons why it works in soccer really can't be replicated in the traditional NA sports leagues given how they developed and are currently structured.

I guess they can try to make the players value it buy putting up a ton of prize money, but given that the average salary in the NBA is already approaching $10 million, it's going to take a whole lot of prize money. I dunno, maybe if they stick with it long enough it will grow into something meaningful, but I'm having pretty much a impossible time picturing it.:dunno:

And yes, any type of trophy presentation or banner raising is going to be pretty awkward... And widely mocked. Getting Nashville "Regular Season Conference Champions" banner vibes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad