NBA ref comes out as gay following Rondo suspension for insulting him

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/14/nba-referee-bill-kennedy-gay

NBA referee Bill Kennedy has revealed he is gay in a statement to Yahoo Sports.

“I am proud to be an NBA referee and I am proud to be a gay man,†Kennedy told Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski. “I am following in the footsteps of others who have self-identified in the hopes that will send a message to young men and women in sports that you must allow no one to make you feel ashamed of who you are.â€

Kennedy’s announcement comes after Sacramento Kings guard Rajon Rondo was suspended for directing anti-gay slurs at officials—one of whom was Kennedy—during a Dec. 3 game. After being ejected from the game, Rondo followed Kennedy down the sideline and, according to a game report provided to Wojnarowski, allegedly made statements such as, “You’re a mother------- f-----t†and “You’rea f----t, Billy.â€

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
It seems like this was already something kinda known. Not like Kennedy ever came out and said it before, but like everyone quietly knew?

Also, Rondo is dumb for trying to deny he said anything at first when you have cameras and mics everywhere.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It seems like this was already something kinda known. Not like Kennedy ever came out and said it before, but like everyone quietly knew?

Also, Rondo is dumb for trying to deny he said anything at first when you have cameras and mics everywhere.
He's never denied saying anything, at least according to what I've seen.

Rondo was dumb for saying it, but if you watched that game, he had it out for Rondo. It wasn't just the phantom tech, he was letting the Celtics hammer Rondo when he had the ball and allowed numerous illegal screens to be let go. I read that Rondo and Doc Rivers had history with Kennedy going back to Boston where Kennedy tossed Doc Rivers out of a game and was actually fined for doing so. This isn't their first run in.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What Rondo did was flat out disgusting and there is no need or room for it not only in the NBA but society in general.

He needs to grow up and change his attitude and ways or he will be out of the job sooner rather than later.

I am surprised they haven't cut him yet.

I am so glad we got rid of him.

I'd like to know exactly what Doc has allegedly said about Kennedy because I don't recall anything while he was here in Boston.

That said, If he did make offensive comments to the ref then it is also incredibly sad. Doc should know better give the crap he's been through.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Cutting someone for using a slur outta frustration? Come on now. The suspension is enough.

But at the same time I bet if it was a white player calling him the n word or something he'd be kicked out of the NBA and have protesters outside his house.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Rondo has always been a bleeping idiot, and a pretty good example of why the NBA sucks now when he's considered a star. He's entered the transient part of his career now, where he'll be used as trade bait, a contract for teams in need of cap compliance, signed in desperation by bottom feeders like Detroit and Philly, and then off to Italy or Greece after that.

I will say it's hilarious how Celtics fans worshiped him and how they were going to build the franchise around him, but now in hindsight they all think they are geniuses for dumping his ass and the great mastermind Doc still can't control him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What Rondo did was flat out disgusting and there is no need or room for it not only in the NBA but society in general.

He needs to grow up and change his attitude and ways or he will be out of the job sooner rather than later.

I am surprised they haven't cut him yet.

I am so glad we got rid of him.

I'd like to know exactly what Doc has allegedly said about Kennedy because I don't recall anything while he was here in Boston.

That said, If he did make offensive comments to the ref then it is also incredibly sad. Doc should know better give the crap he's been through.
Doc didn't say anything.... Kennedy was fined for tossing him out of a game for a bogus reason.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Doc didn't say anything.... Kennedy was fined for tossing him out of a game for a bogus reason.
I saw the Deadspin article at lunch that cleared Doc. Was a baseless accusation by someone who admitted he didn't remember what was said.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I saw the Deadspin article at lunch that cleared Doc. Was a baseless accusation by someone who admitted he didn't remember what was said.

It was also clear watching this game that Kennedy had it out for Rondo. He wasn't getting any calls, even when mugged, and he was getting soft calls on defense. Even his 2nd technical was a joke. He just looked at Kennedy and didn't even say anything. It was only after he was tossed that Rondo said the slur, and i'm thinking the game itself played a hand in the suspension only being a game.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Rondo has always been a bleeping idiot, and a pretty good example of why the NBA sucks now when he's considered a star. He's entered the transient part of his career now, where he'll be used as trade bait, a contract for teams in need of cap compliance, signed in desperation by bottom feeders like Detroit and Philly, and then off to Italy or Greece after that.

I will say it's hilarious how Celtics fans worshiped him and how they were going to build the franchise around him, but now in hindsight they all think they are geniuses for dumping his ass and the great mastermind Doc still can't control him.

I don't think he's considered much of a star. Depends how loosely you want to define it I guess.

I hated the little muppet in Boston, and this was a great way to reaffirm me not liking him.

Suspension needed to be more harsh.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
He's never denied saying anything, at least according to what I've seen.

Rondo was dumb for saying it, but if you watched that game, he had it out for Rondo. It wasn't just the phantom tech, he was letting the Celtics hammer Rondo when he had the ball and allowed numerous illegal screens to be let go. I read that Rondo and Doc Rivers had history with Kennedy going back to Boston where Kennedy tossed Doc Rivers out of a game and was actually fined for doing so. This isn't their first run in.

It was in Woj's articles:
"During the league's investigation, Rondo denied he made the comments. After a Rondo spokesperson declined comment about the matter when reached by Yahoo Sports earlier Monday, Rondo admitted late Monday afternoon on Twitter he had made the slur, saying his actions "were out of frustration and emotion." Kings officials condemned Rondo's comments toward Kennedy."

link

Also, sorry, but refs are after teams and players all the time. That should NOT be a good enough reason for Rondo to use language like that. I think it is even more sad that it took until today for Rondo to even use the word "sorry" and it had to come from a statement instead of meeting with the media himself.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the link.

I'm not exercising Rondo whatsoever, just trying to make the point that there was something personal here, before the comment was made. They have beef that has gone back awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->