UPDATE 11/5 - NBA players approve Dec. 22 start and playing 72-game season

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The only way this would work is there was a bubble for Eastern teams, and a bubble for Western teams

This would mean no inter-conference play

A prospective 66-game schedule could entail 9 games against each division foe (36 games) and 3 games against everyone else in the conference (30 games)

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
And, playing an 82-game schedule between December and April may be what the NBA wants, but it is not good for the long-term health of the players.

A few years back, the NBA had moved up the start of its season while keeping the end date the same to reduce the amount of back-to-backs. To play 82 games between December and April would defeat that purpose. A reduced schedule in two bubbles with no interconference play would be the best solution.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
For perspective, the last time the NBA was forced to start their season in December, they did the right thing and shortened the season to 66 games rather than making players play a condensed 82-game schedule.

The only way 82 games would work is if each team maintained separate rosters for only half the season, being used in alternating games, which would require owners to temporarily allow an expansion on how many players each team is allowed to have at one time - and I can't see that happening.

And the players themselves probably don't like the idea. I can't see NBA or NHL players agreeing to play an 82 game season in a reduced timeframe.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The only way this would work is there was a bubble for Eastern teams, and a bubble for Western teams

This would mean no inter-conference play

A prospective 66-game schedule could entail 9 games against each division foe (36 games) and 3 games against everyone else in the conference (30 games)

Well Disney has campuses in both Florida and California. I guess the model could work on a larger scale. However I think playing closer to 40 games per team is more likely.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
They should place the Raptors in Buffalo.

Buffalo is already basically Raptors territory, even though no Raptors games are usually aired on Buffalo TV. Plus the Blue Jays played in Buffalo this year.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
They should place the Raptors in Buffalo.

Buffalo is already basically Raptors territory, even though no Raptors games are usually aired on Buffalo TV. Plus the Blue Jays played in Buffalo this year.

But are they selling tickets? Louisville is a better spot if so. A much better hoops market.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto isn’t a bad NBA market by any means they where in top half of NBA attendance rankings several years before they won a title.

I meant Louisville v. Buffalo. Yes, if they can play in Toronto, that is ideal. But who knows if/when that can happen?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
I'd love if Louisville got a Southeast Division team when the NBA expands from 32 to 36 like 20 years after expanding to 32.

Right now, the NBA should focus its expansion efforts on Seattle, who is building a new arena for the Kraken, and Vancouver.

Both teams would be placed into the Northwest Division, sending Minnesota to the Central and Oklahoma City to the Southwest.

A new schedule format I proposed increases the amount of division games. Each team would play 2 games against every team that is not in their division (1 each home and road, totaling to 52 games for 6-team division teams and 54 for 5-team division teams).

5-team division teams would play 7 games against each division rival, totaling 28 games, and 6-team division teams would play 6 games against each division rival, totaling 30 games.

I've long been critical of the NBA's schedule format, which places less emphasis on division games than the other major sports leagues. NBA teams play less than 20% of their annual schedule within their division, teams in the other leagues play at least 1/3rd of their schedule in-division.

By limiting each in-conference non-divisional matchup to 2 meetings per season, there would be fewer opportunities for games like Bucks VS. Celtics. And those who want to watch a particular matchup on TV would be more careful not to miss it, thus increasing the ratings for such games that are aired on national television. By decreasing the supply, you are increasing the demand.

Conversely, there would be more opportunities for popular regional rivalries to air on national TV. Like for instance, Clippers-Lakers has finally become a big rivalry both in LA and nationwide. Right now, they meet normally 4 times in a season. Under my schedule format, that increases to 7 times in a season.

And the schedule format I propose upon expansion decreases travel costs as well.

Also, ABC should expand its Saturday night slate to start after the college football regular season ends, and run every Saturday (more or less, depending on if ABC needs a Saturday night for an NFL game in the Thursday Night Football package, and in later years, for the College Football Playoff which I want to move to ABC in 2026) until season's end. ESPN can also start producing Saturday afternoon NBA telecasts on Freeform called "NBA Saturday Matinee".

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Buffalo and Toronto have always had a strong relationship.

The Bills are the most popular NFL team in the city and once played a home game there every year from 2008-13, I could see it coming back occasionally with the expansion to 17 games for each team in the season, and each team would play one neutral site game besides the 8 home and road games. Bills games in Toronto would technically be part of the neutral site initiative, but the crowds would likely overwhelmingly favor the Bills.

The Blue Jays have had the Bisons as their top AAA team for some time now. The Bisons' home park was used by the Blue Jays this year because of the pandemic, no conflicts with the Bisons occurred because the minor league baseball season was canceled.

Buffalo once had an NBA team of its own, the Braves, who joined the league in 1970, years after both the Rochester Royals and Syracuse Nationals moved (now respectively, the Sacramento Kings and Philadelphia 76ers). The Braves only lasted 8 years in the city due to various problems, relocating to San Diego as the Clippers (now in Los Angeles) in 1978. But even though Upstate New York lost the NBA for the last time, there was still quite a market for any kind of basketball in that part of the state. The Syracuse Orange have been coached by Jim Boeheim since 1973, and were a founding member of the Big East Conference, considered one of the premier basketball conferences in D-I. Syracuse joined another hoops-crazy conference, the ACC, in 2013.

The Raptors probably have quite a large fanbase in Upstate New York. A good portion of Upstate NY is actually closer to Toronto than it is to New York City, which pretty much is its own thing. Due to pressure from the Knicks and to a lesser extent, the Nets, Raptors games have never aired in Upstate NY outside of games on national networks. But I'd like this to change, given that parts of Upstate NY are closer to Toronto than NYC as I stated.

So, Buffalo should be where the Raptors end up if the season is played.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the bubble is the one and only unfortunate solution here.

But I think a better solution in both hockey and basketball is having a few designated hubs, with like 5-10 games in a row or five on and five off with two weeks to head home. But when playoffs two weeks off, then playoffs begin.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You guys think the NBA players association is going to agree to the players being locked down for an entire season + the playoffs? No girls, No strip clubs, No chance. Guys will be getting fined daily for breaking Covid measures.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
4-6 hubs seems like a very sensible solution. Especially if they're willing to re-align the divisions.

Good article from an NHL perspective; could see something very similar working in say, New York (Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Sixers, Wizards, Hornets, Hawks), New Orleans (Pelicans, Heat, Magic, Rockets, Mavs, OKC, Spurs, Grizzlies), Chicago (Bulls, Raptors, Pacers, Bucks, Cavs, Pistons, Timbs), and LA (Lakers, Clippers, GSW, Blazers, Kings, Suns, Jazz, Nuggets).

The two weeks in the bubble followed by a week to go back home makes a lot of sense. Only issue would be for Raptors players to make it back to Toronto - just might not be an option, like with the Jays.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There isn't going to be NBA bubbles. MLB and NFL are not bubbling, the NBA won't either.

The NHL is the league that has a bigger problem with this because a good chunk of league revenue comes from Canada and there's several Canadian teams.

The NBA can just have the Raptors operate out of the Buffalo area for a year if push comes to shove.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
If the hub thing is used, these groups should be together:

Raptors, Knicks, Nets, Celtics, 76ers, Wizards - Northeast
Hornets, Hawks, Heat, Magic, Pelicans, Grizzlies - Southeast
Rockets, Mavericks, Thunder, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets - Southwest
Bulls, Pacers, Bucks, Cavaliers, Pistons, Timberwolves - Midwest
Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Blazers, Kings, Suns - Pacific

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad