NBA Hints at Future Expansion

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Montreal is a really interesting option. It's the biggest city/region in North America with only one Big 4 team unless you are counting the Inland Empire which is its own MSA but in the Los Angeles CSA. Seattle makes a ton of sense given the amount of wealth and growth in that region (biggest tech-hub after the Bay Area).

Reactions: kerrabria

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Multiple people in NBA have said that they regret how much they botched the Vancouver expansion. It doesn't seem Vancouver is on their radar at this point though.

Last edited:

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Seattle and Vancouver are the only two markets that make sense in relation to the locations of the 30 current teams. They would go in the Northwest Division, pushing Minnesota to the Central and Oklahoma City to the Southwest.

Reactions: DaveG

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, Vancouver and Seattle would make a lot of sense. New arena in Seattle, and I think Vancouver deserves another shot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The circumstances that led to the grizzlies moving where awful and a lot of them wont happen if the nba goes back there like being prevented from having a high pick for 3 seasons or unnecessary cap restrictions.

I think the Vegas model probably teaches all pro sports leagues that the quicker you furnish them with high picks and equitable expansion draft rules, the quicker they can start printing money and being a net contributor and not a dead market and drain on the system. There's no need to bring in a new market and bury them at the bottom of the standings for half a decade.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Seattle for sure IMO. There isn't a stand out for the other. I think Vegas would be too much too soon. Can't see them going back to Vancouver this soon and have 2 in the PNW in one shot.

If the stars aligned, I think the league wants to go to Mexico City. Other than that, it's what small to mid size market is willing to make a big taxpayer funded pledge.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle for sure IMO. There isn't a stand out for the other. I think Vegas would be too much too soon. Can't see them going back to Vancouver this soon and have 2 in the PNW in one shot.

If the stars aligned, I think the league wants to go to Mexico City. Other than that, it's what small to mid size market is willing to make a big taxpayer funded pledge.
Vegas would be up to Black Knight Sports, aka Foley and the Golden Knights, are they hospitable with splitting dates like you're seeing with teams who already either share existing arenas or are they opposed to that model....

in other words, is it justified to bring the NBA to Vegas, in addition to what already existed there prior to VGK/Raiders?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Vegas would be up to Black Knight Sports, aka Foley and the Golden Knights, are they hospitable with splitting dates like you're seeing with teams who already either share existing arenas or are they opposed to that model....

in other words, is it justified to bring the NBA to Vegas, in addition to what already existed there prior to VGK/Raiders?

Really curious to know the terms of the VGK's lease in this regard.

The they don't operate or own T-Mobile...they 'own' 17% apparently. Another tennant to juggle around and another mouth to feed in terms of building revenues.

I believe Foley wasn't friendly with the Raiders coming at first either.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Really curious to know the terms of the VGK's lease in this regard.

The they don't operate or own T-Mobile...they 'own' 17% apparently. Another tennant to juggle around and another mouth to feed in terms of building revenues.

I believe Foley wasn't friendly with the Raiders coming at first either.
correct, then add the expense of setting up Lifeguard Arena in Henderson, while potentially paying Orleans Arena in case the Henderson Silver Knights actually start in an pandemic-shortened 2020/2021

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Seattle is a no-brainer, but as for the other team, I'd like to think it should be Kansas City. They have a relatively new venue in a region of the country with virtually no opposition besides perhaps Oklahoma City. I would want Louisville as the NBA is the only pro league that could reasonably be in that city, but between the KFC Yum! Center being the domain of the University of Louisville, the proximity to the Indiana Pacers, and the recent racial disputes have soured the possibility of them being considered.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle is a no-brainer, but as for the other team, I'd like to think it should be Kansas City. They have a relatively new venue in a region of the country with virtually no opposition besides perhaps Oklahoma City. I would want Louisville as the NBA is the only pro league that could reasonably be in that city, but between the KFC Yum! Center being the domain of the University of Louisville, the proximity to the Indiana Pacers, and the recent racial disputes have soured the possibility of them being considered.
Kansas City's stance likely hasn't changed, besides how much damage did the Kings do to that market.....

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Seattle for sure. Don’t see another Canadian team though. Not enough support up here for basketball right now. It would struggle too much with hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle for sure. Don’t see another Canadian team though. Not enough support up here for basketball right now. It would struggle too much with hockey.
Canadians, at least in Atlantic Canada, have their own version of basketball leagues, as evidenced by Newfoundland's struggles to establish the Growlers alongside the St. John's Edge pre-pandemic.....

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011

It wasn't that long ago the Raptors won the NBA title. If anything, it shows that Canada does care about basketball, which was invented by a Canadian to begin with.

Vancouver failed the first time in part because Phoenix didn't want to go to the Midwest Division, which would have allowed the Grizzlies to be with Portland and Seattle in the Pacific.

I think if the NBA had gone to a 6-division setup much sooner, it could have helped.

In this version of the 6-division setup, the East and the Pacific Division would have the same alignments as now. The Northwest would have had Denver, Portland, Seattle, Utah, and Vancouver, while the Midwest would have Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, and San Antonio - with room to potentially add a team in St. Louis.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It wasn't that long ago the Raptors won the NBA title. If anything, it shows that Canada does care about basketball, which was invented by a Canadian to begin with.

Vancouver failed the first time in part because Phoenix didn't want to go to the Midwest Division, which would have allowed the Grizzlies to be with Portland and Seattle in the Pacific.

I think if the NBA had gone to a 6-division setup much sooner, it could have helped.

In this version of the 6-division setup, the East and the Pacific Division would have the same alignments as now. The Northwest would have had Denver, Portland, Seattle, Utah, and Vancouver, while the Midwest would have Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, and San Antonio - with room to potentially add a team in St. Louis.
no, Z, WHO owns the Raptors.....MLSE

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Over the years, divisions that spanned three or more time zones have generally resulted in complaints from its members over travel and time zone differences.

The Northwest Division suffers from this now.

From 1988-2001, two of the divisions of the NFL's NFC spanned more than two time zones. The East and West both had teams in the Eastern and Central, and the former had a team in the Mountain (but was effectively on Pacific Time during DST), and the latter had teams in the Pacific.

This was corrected in 2002, when all of the NFC's Mountain/Pacific teams were aligned into a revamped NFC West, which still had one Central Time team at the time, but they moved back to the West Coast in 2016. All of the NFC's current Eastern/Central teams are either in the East, North, or South - all three span both time zones.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hockey is just too big in Canada. The GTA is huge, and can support basketball as a secondary sport’s league. Vancouver and Montreal are too small (the only Canadian options for the NBA) for basketball to survive.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hockey is just too big in Canada. The GTA is huge, and can support basketball as a secondary sport’s league. Vancouver and Montreal are too small (the only Canadian options for the NBA) for basketball to survive.
Raptors 905 is based in Mississauga, as well, the last we heard was a bubble, but some teams have shut their affiliates down... G League hasn't officially stated their intention for 2020/2021, either.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Furthermore, as part of my proposal to add Seattle and Vancouver, I want the NBA to adopt a division-heavy schedule format. The NBA plays less of 20% of its current schedule in-division, compared to at least 1/3rd for the other big 4 leagues. To me, that's not enough.

The four five-team divisions (Atlantic, Southeast, Northwest, Pacific) would play 28 division games, 7 against each opponent.

The two six-team divisions (Central, Southwest) would play 30 division games, 6 against each opponent.

Every team would play every non-division foe twice (once at home, once on the road), thus keeping the schedule at 82 games for all teams.

This would serve to reduce travel costs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Furthermore, as part of my proposal to add Seattle and Vancouver, I want the NBA to adopt a division-heavy schedule format. The NBA plays less of 20% of its current schedule in-division, compared to at least 1/3rd for the other big 4 leagues. To me, that's not enough.

The four five-team divisions (Atlantic, Southeast, Northwest, Pacific) would play 28 division games, 7 against each opponent.

The two six-team divisions (Central, Southwest) would play 30 division games, 6 against each opponent.

Every team would play every non-division foe twice (once at home, once on the road), thus keeping the schedule at 82 games for all teams.

This would serve to reduce travel costs.
Vancouver, simply isn't happening, Z, it's too much Canucks Sports/Aqullini presence there......

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad