NBA Finals ratings 👁️👁️

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Surprisingly slow start for Celtics-Warriors NBA Finals

Back in its normal time of year, and featuring a marquee matchup of Stephen Curry’s Warriors against the storied Celtics, the NBA Finals got off to a less-than-impressive start. Thursday’s Celtics-Warriors NBA Finals Game 1 averaged a 6.4 rating and 11.9 million viewers across ABC (6.1, 11.4M) and ESPN2 (0.31, 501K), topping only the past two years as the lowest for the series opener since 2007 (Cavaliers-Spurs: 6.3, 9.21M).

If a marked improvement over the past two years, Thursday’s Game 1 ratings would have to be considered a disappointment. Prior to 2019, 29-straight Finals games averaged at least a 9.0 rating and 56-straight averaged at least 14 million viewers. A Finals rating in the 6.0 range was the domain of the mid-2000s Spurs, whose annual defensive slogs plumbed the ratings depths. Far better numbers could have been expected for a series pitting the league’s biggest draw against its most storied franchise, both hailing from top-ten media markets.

Then again, as strong as the NBA’s numbers have been at times this postseason, there were signs in recent weeks that the league’s momentum has slowed. Even last Sunday’s Celtics-Heat Game 7 was an underwhelming draw by historical standards, its mere 4.6 rating easily the lowest for a conference final Game 7 in the past 25 years. Out-of-home viewing made the audience figure look more respectable — nearly ten million — but even that was the smallest audience for a conference final Game 7 since 2005.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These are 2 large markets. Plus Celtics have decades of history while GA, Aaka SF market has been the standard the past 8 years.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Contributing factors:

9 pm ET start times for most of the series.

Two day break between most of the games.

Warriors are guaranteed to win. No suspense there. Just might take 6 games max.

That said, the worst NBA ratings would still be much better than the best NHL TV ratings.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
9 pm starts have been like that for a while now even in the bubble so I don't think that is the problem for the NBA. And also I would not put the issue on the lack of LeBron this Playoffs have been great and for example last year finals were very good yet the ratings sucked. I believe they have a big issue with the marketing of stars there is so much talk about out of the court bs on the media like for example before the first game of the Playoffs on ESPN they were talking about the god damn Knicks that to me is part of the NBA issues. Yet they get to be #2 behind the NFL thanks to their great demo numbers.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Contributing factors:

That said, the worst NBA ratings would still be much better than the best NHL TV r
Contributing factors:

That said, the worst NBA ratings would still be much better than the best NHL TV ratings.
Not sure why you would bring the NHL into this convo. NBA ratings being below their standards impacts their future tv deal(s).

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Contributing factors:

The NBA Finals have been at 9 pm since for at least the last 40 years and lol at your guarantee.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NBA Finals have been at 9 pm since for at least the last 40 years and lol at your guarantee.
For nhl fans not familiar with the nba each quarter is only 12 minutes. So the game is 48 minutes vs 60 in the NHL and nfl. So the games won’t be running 3 hours til midnight EST.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm an NBA viewer/fan but I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the playoffs this year. Just not a lot that intrigues me after Memphis (big fan of Ja) got eliminated, I've seen Golden State dominate already and while this Boston team is different than the KG/Pierce/Rondo Celtics, it's still the Celtics.

That and the replays, tv timeouts, etc. just drag on and on and on. At least with Hockey I know when the break in the action is coming.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I wonder if basketball has a margin of victory problem. The game has been optimized so much with three point shooting games get out of hand so quickly and there’s no exciting end games.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
9 pm starts have been like that for a while now even in the bubble so I don't think that is the problem for the NBA. And also I would not put the issue on the lack of LeBron this Playoffs have been great and for example last year finals were very good yet the ratings sucked. I believe they have a big issue with the marketing of stars there is so much talk about out of the court bs on the media like for example before the first game of the Playoffs on ESPN they were talking about the god damn Knicks that to me is part of the NBA issues. Yet they get to be #2 behind the NFL thanks to their great demo numbers.
Really? It's been blowout after blowout, one of the worst playoffs in years.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
This also the first Finals since when 2013 (at least) that goes directly up against Stanley Cup playoff games. If you don’t think the two sports eat into each other (and to be clear the NBA eats more into the NHL than vice versa), I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I am not liking this postionless 3 point game that the NBA has become. I miss the drives to the net that lead to big plays, layups and dunks.

Reactions: varsaku

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
You have very good storylines imo and yeah the blowouts became a thing in the middle of the second round which took a lot of hype from them.
I don't agree with the Storylines to be honest especially since Lebron never was involved, KD got eliminated, and Ja morant was taken out (I'm not completely sold on him as a superstar). The rest of the so called storylines seem manufactured by the media to cultivate interest.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I am not liking this postionless 3 point game that the NBA has become. I miss the drives to the net that lead to big plays, layups and dunks.
Half the players too don't give it all they got when on defense. They just ball watch sometimes waiting to go back on offense.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is funny because they would say that having a Toronto team in the Finals was bad for ratings.

I think it was great for basketball. I was rooting for the Raptors. This year I don't have a dog in the fight, so haven't watched a single game since the Suns were knocked out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is funny because they would say that having a Toronto team in the Finals was bad for ratings.
Would those numbers include the Canadian viewers? Raptors would get several million watching up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad