NBA Equivalents To NHL Players

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lindros was stopped/shut down fairly often though.

In the mid 90s, lindros was a total beast. There was no package like him in the league, and we haven't seen one since.

We also have to consider that there are more tools to stop a guy in the NHL than the NBA. That just due to the nature of those sports.

micormic79

Aug 8, 2019
In the mid 90s, lindros was a total beast. There was no package like him in the league, and we haven't seen one since.

We also have to consider that there are more tools to stop a guy in the NHL than the NBA. That just due to the nature of those sports.

I agree he was very good, but I think people get carried away with his legacy. As physically imposing as he was there were serious flaws to his game.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Isiah Thomas/Bobby Clarke- Both overcame obstacles to become leaders of championship teams that relied on intimidation. Both teams also would see their reigns end to ascending dynasties, the Pistons losing to the Bulls and the Flyers to the Canadiens.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Shaq's career left a lot to be desired?

Phil Jackson did say that Shaq could have won 9 or 10 MVP's in a row if he hadn't been so damn lazy.

He obviously accomplished pretty much everything but never cared to do better, it all worked out for him anyhow.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Isiah Thomas/Bobby Clarke- Both overcame obstacles to become leaders of championship teams that relied on intimidation. Both teams also would see their reigns end to ascending dynasties, the Pistons losing to the Bulls and the Flyers to the Canadiens.

That's a very nice comparison that I never thought of before.

Phil Jackson did say that Shaq could have won 9 or 10 MVP's in a row if he hadn't been so damn lazy.

He obviously accomplished pretty much everything but never cared to do better, it all worked out for him anyhow.

Even with getting robbed of the trophy in 1999 and 2001, O'Neal definitely could have won several more MVPs had he been more focused off the court. He seemed to have a bit of the Chamberlain thing where people didn't want to vote for Goliath, but he could have put it beyond question.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's a very nice comparison that I never thought of before.

Even with getting robbed of the trophy in 1999 and 2001, O'Neal definitely could have won several more MVPs had he been more focused off the court. He seemed to have a bit of the Chamberlain thing where people didn't want to vote for Goliath, but he could have put it beyond question.

Disagree about 2001. He wasn't robbed at all, A.I 100% earned and deserved that trophy.

Anyhow point is while he accomplished a great deal on the court, he could have done a lot more had he cared more.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Disagree about 2001. He wasn't robbed at all, A.I 100% earned and deserved that trophy.

Anyhow point is while he accomplished a great deal on the court, he could have done a lot more had he cared more.

Iverson was one of the worst picks this century in my estimation, though bad MVP picks are quite common in the NBA. As noted I certainly agree that O'Neal should have done more. There's a pretty strong consensus on that front.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Vinny Lecavalier was the Michael Jordan of Hockey :sarcasm:

Malkin kind of strikes me as being similar to Dwyane Wade. Both came into their leagues around the same time as the "Robin" to another stars "Batman". Both play(ed) a flashy type of game.

The Steve Nash/Martin St. Louis comparison that someone made earlier is a good one. Too bad Nash never got to the Finals.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Vinny Lecavalier was the Michael Jordan of Hockey :sarcasm:

Malkin kind of strikes me as being similar to Dwyane Wade. Both came into their leagues around the same time as the "Robin" to another stars "Batman". Both play(ed) a flashy type of game.

The Steve Nash/Martin St. Louis comparison that someone made earlier is a good one. Too bad Nash never got to the Finals.

Nash seemed more like an Adam Oates to me.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Chris Webber/Pierre Turgeon
Both were 1st overall picks that are mostly remembered for games that took place before they were pros. Both inexplicably and regrettably were traded multiple times during their prime. Both produced at a Hall of Fame level, yet, despite years of eligibility, neither has been inducted. Both were a 5x all-star

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
now that i think about it, brodeur may be a better tim duncan than lidstrom.

came in fully formed, rookie of the year, good showing in the playoffs as a rookie, championship in year two, a franchise pillar in every sense of the word and a unique skillset that made everyone else’s job easier, champion with three very different groups (with three very different styles), including winning one on the heels of a very ugly and public divorce.

played a somewhat boring style (in marty’s case, relative to more active butterfly goalies, and of course whatever the hell hasek was) that was the lodestone of an excellent team that people somewhat unfairly also considered boring, technically perfect, ridiculous consistency, kind of a chubby face that made people never acknowledge how athletic they really were.

Reactions: Neutrinos

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Chris Webber/Pierre Turgeon
Both were 1st overall picks that are mostly remembered for games that took place before they were pros. Both inexplicably and regrettably were traded multiple times during their prime. Both produced at a Hall of Fame level, yet, despite years of eligibility, neither has been inducted. Both were a 5x all-star

don’t forget the career-long reputation for always choking

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
now that i think about it, brodeur may be a better tim duncan than lidstrom.

came in fully formed, rookie of the year, good showing in the playoffs as a rookie, championship in year two, a franchise pillar in every sense of the word and a unique skillset that made everyone else’s job easier, champion with three very different groups (with three very different styles), including winning one on the heels of a very ugly and public divorce.

played a somewhat boring style (in marty’s case, relative to more active butterfly goalies, and of course whatever the hell hasek was) that was the lodestone of an excellent team that people somewhat unfairly also considered boring, technically perfect, ridiculous consistency, kind of a chubby face that made people never acknowledge how athletic they really were.

Yeah, I had considered the Duncan/Brodeur comparison, but was a little hesitant to bring goalies into it for some inexplicable reason

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Iverson was one of the worst picks this century in my estimation, though bad MVP picks are quite common in the NBA. As noted I certainly agree that O'Neal should have done more. There's a pretty strong consensus on that front.
No gm in 2001 would have taken Iverson over Shaq. Shaq was goliath, voters just wanted to find different reasons not to give him mvp.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sabonis/Fetisov
Both were 31 during their first season in North America. Both developed reputations as elite players from their time overseas, however, despite being solid contributors to successful teams, neither player was able to live up to the hype of their initial arrival

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sabonis/Fetisov
Both were 31 during their first season in North America. Both developed reputations as elite players from their time overseas, however, despite being solid contributors to successful teams, neither player was able to live up to the hype of their initial arrival

That's not bad at all.

It would have been cool to see sabonis in his peak. Even in his later years, I was impressed by his shooting range.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think you can compare players based on statistics. I mean You can't compare Gretzky and Kareem just because they are leading scorers in their respective sports. It should be the impact and accomplishment they achieved within their sports.

Gretzky=Jordan
Messier=Willis Reed or Shaq depending on how you look at it. Both Messier and Reed brought titles to New York.
Crosby=Kobe Bryant
Ovechkin=Durant
Yzerman=Duncan

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Lebron/Crosby
Both were highly touted prospects with national exposure long before they turned pro. Both selected 1st overall. Both are considered the best player of their generation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->