NBA Equivalents To NHL Players

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Isiah Thomas/Denis Savard
Smaller players who were exceptionally creative offensively

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Dominique Wilkins/Mike Bossy
Elite scorers from their generation who were overshadowed by others from their era

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Joe Thornton and Karl Malone? Malone is the better player at his respective sport, but I mean guys who were great players, locks for the Hall, yet never won a championship and were often considered the types who were unable to lift their teams. Or maybe Thornton and Patrick Ewing? Same reasons.

Adam Oates and John Stockton. Both supreme playmakers and seemingly happy to be the ones to sit back while others take the credit.

I figure Orr and Magic are as close as they could be. Both retired early. Both won, both were considered the best in the league while they did it (Bird was side by side with Magic of course). Lastly, both were supreme playmakers who made others around them better.

Ewing and Thornton
Both were drafted 1st overall by big market teams, and despite having first ballot Hall of Fame careers, neither were ever able to carry their teams to a championship

What about Malone and Bourque?

Both spent the majority of their careers with the team that drafted them, and then ultimately left those teams to chase rings when they were nearing the end

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ewing and Thornton
Both were drafted 1st overall by big market teams, and despite having first ball Hall of Fame careers, neither were ever able to carry their teams to a championship

What about Malone and Bourque?

Both spent the majority of their careers with the team that drafted them, and then ultimately left those teams to chase rings when they were nearing the end

Yeah close enough with Malone and Bourque. Both highly revered. Bourque did win that ring at the end while Malone didn't. I also don't think anyone believes Bourque wasn't a great playoff performer though and I always felt Malone sometimes had a bit of a deer in the headlights thing with him such as when they played the Bulls and what not. But they are close enough.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Grant Hill/Peter Forsberg
Elite all-around players who were at one time in the running for best player in the world before injuries derailed their careers

Or Jason Kidd/Peter Forsberg
Neither scored at an exceptional rate, but were pretty much elite at every other aspect of their respective games. Both among the best passers ever

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Marbury/Yashin
High draft picks with all-star talent that will be remembered as selfish players who never lived up to their potential. Both players were out of the league by their early 30's. They were also on the wrong end of 2 of the more regrettable trades of their generation

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench Clearer

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Durant/Stamkos
This might be an appropriate comparison considering both were high draft picks with elite scoring ability that suffered career-altering injuries

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
kawhi leonard and mark messier

shawn kemp and cam neely

robert horry and claude lemieux

robert-horry.jpg

Claude-Lemieux.jpg

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeah close enough with Malone and Bourque. Both highly revered. Bourque did win that ring at the end while Malone didn't. I also don't think anyone believes Bourque wasn't a great playoff performer though and I always felt Malone sometimes had a bit of a deer in the headlights thing with him such as when they played the Bulls and what not. But they are close enough.

Another good one for Malone might be Marcel Dionne

micormic79

Aug 8, 2019
Lebron James- Alex Ovechkin- Both mostly overrated career losers who got lucky once...or 3 times.

Mario Lemieux- Magic Johnson
Bill Laimbeer- Marty Mcsorley

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Duncan wasn't an ******* when he played though. He wasn't a physical player either

Both Lidstorm and Duncan were known for their gentlemanly play

Perhaps a better comparison for Messier might be Moses Malone

Excellent comparison.

Though its hard to be that dirty (as Messier) in basketball.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Iverson/Theo Fleury-Both were fearless scorers who never seemed to get injured despite their size. And Iverson and Fleury were never the same players once their original teams traded them.

Reactions: scott clam

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Iverson/Theo Fleury-Both were fearless scorers who never seemed to get injured despite their size. And Iverson and Fleury were never the same players once their original teams traded them.

Iverson was an elite scorer though (4 scoring titles), and arguably the quickest player in the NBA, which is why I went with the Iverson/Bure comparison

Also, for what it's worth, Iverson only played 80+ games 3x. At quick glance it appears as though he missed approx. 10 games or so each season

Given their issues with substance abuse, perhaps Steve Francis would be a better comparable to Fleury

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Clyde Drexler/Teemu Selanne
Silky smooth scorers who were overshadowed by other stars during their careers

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
James Worthy/Glenn Anderson. Super fast guys on 80's dynasty teams that probably were considered elite support players behind bigger stars. Really upped their games in the playoffs.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Garnett/Iginla
Underrated superstars playing in small markets during their prime, both were forced to carry a franchise without much support. Both were eventually traded to contenders in their 30's. Injuries hampered the final years of their careers

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Nowitzki/Sakic
Offensive stars who spent their entire Hall of Fame careers with the same franchise. Both picked up an MVP along the way. Both named MVP of their respective playoffs after winning a championship

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Rodman and avery

Rodman was an elite defensive player, rebounder, and is in the Hall of Fame. He also starred in a movie with Jean Claude Van Damme

Avery was never on his level - both in terms of on-ice production, or off-ice notoriety

Reactions: Trade

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This sounds more like Shaq = Lemieux. I'm not a huge NBA fan but Shaq is always listed among the very best players ever. I guess he could have been the absolute best but it's not like he was constantly injured like Lindros was and had a "What if" career like Eric.

Nah, I can see the Shaq lindros comparison.

Both were the most physically dominant players in their respective sports, its just that lindros' shelf life was shorter.

While they both had other traits, they were the superstars in their respective sports known for being physically unstoppable.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Rodman was an elite defensive player, rebounder, and is in the Hall of Fame. He also starred in a movie with Jean Claude Van Damme

Avery was never on his level - both in terms of on-ice production, or off-ice notoriety

I only make the comparison in terms of stirring up controversy in their respective spheres, and being the biggest outsiders in their craft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->