Post-Game Talk: NBA ECF Game 2 - Celtics fall apart in 2nd Half and now down 0-2 in ECF

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

You got to be kidding me with this Kemba.

Well, he's probably gonna want to hide the fact that everyone felt like shit after getting yelled at by the heart and soul of the team, someone who's will to win is second to none and is upset that nobody else is playing with any kind of intensity when other team raises theirs. Kind of like when my mom would scream at my dad for not mowing the lawn again, and then telling me " it was nothing " when I asked what that was about.

Reactions: CDJ and EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I'm going to blame the coaches for something like that in the NFL, not the NBA. The NBA is almost always about the players, and they've choked. They badly need Hayward back as an unselfish facilitator.

Problem is that Hayward can be just as selfish, if rumor is to be believed.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Firing Stevens would be a thing dumb franchises do. So a franchise being managed by Ainge is NOT prone to making dumb decisions, so the answer is obvious. No matter how this season/series ends.

Next 2 belong to us, it's not over. Hats off to the Heat, can't do much better in the clutch. Those are lucky shots to some degree, but you still gotta make them. Hard to dislike that team. They built the right way and didn't tank blatantly.
Sixers pretty much made a huge mistake by letting Butler go and betting on Harris (and Horford) instead.

Reactions: lopey and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Problem is that Hayward can be just as selfish, if rumor is to be believed.

Which rumors would those be? I've only ever seen him be an unselfish player with the Celtics, unless you're talking about the opinions of Marcus Morris and Terry Rozier, in which case L-O-L.

Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Which rumors would those be? I've only ever seen him be an unselfish player with the Celtics, unless you're talking about the opinions of Marcus Morris and Terry Rozier, in which case L-O-L.
For real Rozier is a a dope, and his opinion is trash. Guy had one good playoffs and thought he was the next big thing

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Where I heard this is not couched in the opinion of Marcus Morris and Terry Rozier, who are two scrubs.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

At least he takes accountability. Would like him to turn that into a tangible change on the court, but baby steps I suppose.

Reactions: lopey

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Can't wait for the next RJ Hunter and James Young. :help:

Also, I seem to remember having a player just like Olynyk three seasons ago. Hmmmmmm. But that must be just nothing. :sarcasm:
Olynyk was a decent bench big for the celtics, i know Miami overpaid for him but i would take him over any big not named Theis on this team. Even since Pierce and KG were traded and the Celtics started rebuilding Ainge has only hit one of his non lottery picks out of something like 7 or 8 and that was Rozier. The 2nd best is a toss up between either Rob or Grant Williams. That becomes terrible when your team is contending so soon after blowing it up and the amount of solid nba players drafted by other teams after some of the terrible busts like Yabusele, Zizic and Young. It's why the celtics are so dependent on free agents coming over from Europe because they can't draft for shit outside the lottery. Ainge is a good gm but holding onto mediocre first round picks instead of getting proper depth then drafting guys who end up out the league before their 2+2 rookie deals are over is a bad look.

Reactions: EvilDead

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
For real Rozier is a a dope, and his opinion is trash. Guy had one good playoffs and thought he was the next big thing
Rozier had no room to be calling anyone selfish after his last year in boston anyway. He never tried to run any type of offense just looking out for himself, he was a bench player who took almost the same amount of shots per game as Hayward, just chucking brick after brick looking for a big payday and somehow still got it.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Rozier had no room to be calling anyone selfish after his last year in boston anyway. He never tried to run any type of offense just looking out for himself, he was a bench player who took almost the same amount of shots per game as Hayward, just chucking brick after brick looking for a big payday and somehow still got it.

That's what happens when you have a desperate team like Charlotte.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Gordon Hayward will save the day

d7572276e80bd31449710f6a28c3b6b1.jpg

Reactions: Troublesome 85

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm convinced this is Stevens ceiling as a coach.

He simply isn't good enough to go any further than this and isn't the coach they can win it all

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not worried about the yelling. It's a results-based industry.

If they win, Marcus Smart goes down in history as a great leader

If they lose, the 2020 lockerroom goes down as dysfunctional

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
ECF in a bubble and still a young team. I don't see how you can call that dysfunctional or playing like a G team. The Heat are on fire these playoffs (no pun but hey it works). They just need to be better against a team that is playing above their mean level at this stage.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it’s clear watching the games this year vs last year that this team is not dysfunctional. We’ve seen TRUE dysfunction

They have a hyper competitive player who would willingly die on the court. He sometimes yells when he loses and he feels the effort level was lacking. He wasn’t wrong. That’s really all there is to it.

Basically when the games turn into rock fights Marcus and Jaylen are the ones consistently showing up. Grant Williams does too when he gets some run. They play like they want the game to be ugly. Rest of the team is trying to be too fancy and play superstar ISO ball. That works against most teams but not this Heat team. You have to want it more than them and that’s going to be hard to do because every member of that team clearly REALLY wants it

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey and Smitty93

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I'm convinced this is Stevens ceiling as a coach.

He simply isn't good enough to go any further than this and isn't the coach they can win it all

Think again. Mediocre coaches like Rivers have won titles before. Stevens has made this team look better than it is for many years which actually led them to missing out on some top-draft picks, because of them overachieving (they had no business making the playoffs in the season they acquired IT at the deadline).
Teams led by Kemba have never done anything in the playoffs prior to this season. Tatum and Smart are still so extremely young and this was even more true a few years ago when they were barely 20 and almost made the finals two years ago (easier said than done or else the T'Wolves and Suns would be world beaters instead of bottom dwellers). Their big addition a few years ago in Hayward had a career-altering injury in game 1 as a Celtic and has been injured so far in these playoffs. And last but not least: Not getting along with Kyrie Irving is a net positive. I wouldn't hold that against anybody. Atkinson, who developed that nice Nets-team for a few years didn't even survive one season with that nutcase on their team.
If Kyrie had made it clear that it was either him or Stevens, I wouldn't hesitate to chose Stevens. He's far more valuable to a franchise than a talented NBA-diva.

As I said yesterday, you'd have to be insane to let someone like Stevens go. He's easily in the same league as Spoelstra and Nurse. And that is the cream of the crop for the foreseeable future in the NBA.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The best two guys they could hire if they fired Brad would be D’Antoni and Billy Donovan. I don’t think either of them are nearly as good at coaching as Brad Stevens is. I also think Donovan is better than D’Antoni, so that would be my order of personal preference

but again firing Brad would be dumb and an overreaction imo

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I like D'antoni, he kinda reminds me of Tortorella. Both good coaches, but I wonder if he will ever get the job done. He actually should have done it with Houston a few years ago. They were better than or at least on par with GSW that one year. But he's gonna get another job in no time. I don't think he's flawless, but the Sixers should go after him, they are not gonna get a better coach. I mean, unless the board overtakes for Danny and fires Stevens. It would take Brand like 3 seconds to make a phone call to Brad.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->