OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Tanking in the NBA is pointless. The last 1OA player to win a championship with the team who drafted him was Kyrie Irving and he probably . The player before that was Tim Duncan (LeBron doesn't qualify IMO because he was a UFA twice before eventually winning with the team who drafted him).
Tanking in the NBA makes more sense then Tanking in the NHL. In the NBA all you need is to get 1 or 2 star guys to be competitive

Reactions: cgf

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Frank 0 pts, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 0 rebounds in 15 minutes.

When is the elephant in the room going to be addressed?

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Frank 0 pts, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 0 rebounds in 15 minutes.

When is the elephant in the room going to be addressed?
Busting hard right now...and i dont even care how the numbers say hes so good defensively.Guy contributes nothing offensively.he's going to find himself stapled to the bench soon if he doesnt pick his game up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Busting hard right now...and i dont even care how the numbers say hes so good defensively.Guy contributes nothing offensively.he's going to find himself stapled to the bench soon if he doesnt pick his game up.
He already is benched a lot. Fiz prefers Mudiay.

Let's just say he makes Markelle Fultz look like a God offensively.

Last edited:

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Knicks not running an offense making Frank and basically everyone else look bad. Basically zero cutting + screening from anyone, ever.

This is a coaching issue, and not a minor one.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I was just wondering where the other guy who hated Frank went, but I realized it was probably you and now we're in a new handle spam fest of HE SUCKS
No one is hating Frank, just concerned by his lack of confidence and offensive bball IQ to be PG of the future for this team. I can't recall a player being his bad at that end of the floor and becoming a starting PG.

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Frank was a DNP-coaches decision yesterday.Lets see if this can get him going next time he gets out there.I have my doubts though.He is what he is at this point-good defender who contributes little else offensively.a worse version of Shumpert.Shame,i really had high hopes for him,but hes regressed badly so far this year.For all the shit ive given Mudiay in the past,he was an absolute monster yesterday.He and Burke have really been playing well these past few weeks.Hats off to them

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I dunno if Frank can be "fixed" with just a few games off to reset. Admittedly I don't mind his inability to score as much as some because with his D he can make an impact even if he remains Andre Roberson on the offensive end...though his improved (despite still needing further improvement) handle, his effectiveness when he actually gets a screen, his shot mechanics & that his misses are very consistently not off by much & just rimming out; give me optimism. It's not working yet, obviously, but I think that getting some more polish on that shot over next summer, will make a huge a difference and help start bringing his offensive game together; especially if the handle continues to tighten up.

A lot of Frank's "problems" come from Frank knowing that he sucks offensively right now and so making "the smart play" instead of forcing up trash that's unlikely to go in. Problem is that until that outside shot starts dropping for him, he won't have the confidence to develop his scoring in the paint enough for that to ever become "the smart play" like it needs to be if he's to ever be a lead guard. Which creates a bit of a catch-22 until his work in the gym turns his outside shot into a reliable enough weapon for him to start building his game out from.

So I don't think there's any "fix" for him other than time and patience. I don't mind Frank getting a few games off if he was starting to get down on himself, as managing a kid's self-confidence can be just as important as pushing/challenging them...especially with how hot Mudiay has been since returning to the lineup. But we need to accept that Frank's not going to provide much offensively other than consistent distribution until that 3ball gives him a weapon to rely on...which it's just not yet.

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
I dunno if Frank can be "fixed" with just a few games off to reset. Admittedly I don't mind his inability to score as much as some because with his D he can make an impact even if he remains Andre Roberson on the offensive end...though his improved (despite still needing further improvement) handle, his effectiveness when he actually gets a screen, his shot mechanics & that his misses are very consistently not off by much & just rimming out; give me optimism. It's not working yet, obviously, but I think that getting some more polish on that shot over next summer, will make a huge a difference and help start bringing his offensive game together; especially if the handle continues to tighten up.

A lot of Frank's "problems" come from Frank knowing that he sucks offensively right now and so making "the smart play" instead of forcing up trash that's unlikely to go in. Problem is that until that outside shot starts dropping for him, he won't have the confidence to develop his scoring in the paint enough for that to ever become "the smart play" like it needs to be if he's to ever be a lead guard. Which creates a bit of a catch-22 until his work in the gym turns his outside shot into a reliable enough weapon for him to start building his game out from.

So I don't think there's any "fix" for him other than time and patience. I don't mind Frank getting a few games off if he was starting to get down on himself, as managing a kid's self-confidence can be just as important as pushing/challenging them...especially with how hot Mudiay has been since returning to the lineup. But we need to accept that Frank's not going to provide much offensively other than consistent distribution until that 3ball gives him a weapon to rely on...which it's just not yet.
How many more summers are we going to give him to improve his shot? 3?4? He worked on his shot this past summer and it somehow got worse.Kid cant even hit a 15 footer consistently and you expect him to become a reliable 3 point shooter?Seems like a stretch to me.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Frank is still very young and is doing the opposite of putting miles on his body. He should be in developmental pretending to be Dennis Smith Jr. just for reps.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The 2017 draft class post top 5 isn’t exactly lighting it up. I wanted Mitchell, not bc I envisioned this, but bc of his local angle and having seen a lot of him at Louisville. But outside of him, we didn’t pass on tons of great players (so far).

Smith is highly overrated. He doesn’t dish well, doesn’t play good defense, turns the ball over a lot and isn’t a great shooter. He’s a scorer on a bad team.

Frank is a kid. He’s clearly lacking confidence. Do I think he can be a stud G? No. But he can definitely become a 3 and D combo guard that can defend multiple positions. Ideally you find those guys later than 7th, but oh well.

I really don’t see a point in selling low on him. For what? We’re not competing anyway.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How many more summers are we going to give him to improve his shot? 3?4? He worked on his shot this past summer and it somehow got worse.Kid cant even hit a 15 footer consistently and you expect him to become a reliable 3 point shooter?Seems like a stretch to me.

How about we give him more than just 1 year of development before we judge?

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
The 2017 draft class post top 5 isn’t exactly lighting it up. I wanted Mitchell, not bc I envisioned this, but bc of his local angle and having seen a lot of him at Louisville. But outside of him, we didn’t pass on tons of great players (so far).

Smith is highly overrated. He doesn’t dish well, doesn’t play good defense, turns the ball over a lot and isn’t a great shooter. He’s a scorer on a bad team.

Frank is a kid. He’s clearly lacking confidence. Do I think he can be a stud G? No. But he can definitely become a 3 and D combo guard that can defend multiple positions. Ideally you find those guys later than 7th, but oh well.

I really don’t see a point in selling low on him. For what? We’re not competing anyway.

I wanted Fox. If only they loss a few more...

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Johnnies tearing it up, albeit on a wimpy schedule. That 12/29 match with Seton Hall will give us a better idea. Mullin has a small lineup but they play legit team ball, even when Ponds is heaving like crazy.

Ponds is interesting. Brooklyn kid playing out of his mind after opting out of last year’s draft. I don’t see many mocks putting him in the 1st but the kid has sick range.

Reactions: Rangers743

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Johnnies tearing it up, albeit on a wimpy schedule. That 12/29 match with Seton Hall will give us a better idea. Mullin has a small lineup but they play legit team ball, even when Ponds is heaving like crazy.

Ponds is interesting. Brooklyn kid playing out of his mind after opting out of last year’s draft. I don’t see many mocks putting him in the 1st but the kid has sick range.
Nice to know I'm not the only Red Storm fan around here. Heron has also been a nice pickup from Auburn. Their problem rn is a lack of a big man. It hasn't really screwed them yet but when they play schools with a dominant big man its gonna become a major problem. If only Tariq decided to stay another year. Also, they need guys to start stepping up beside Ponds, against Georgetown he had like nearly half our points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad