OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think there is probably some value in starting Robinson in Westchester with the G-league club.

I suspect he's going to need some conditioning work. He hasn't played consistently in a long time.

He needs the conditioning work, without a doubt, and he's going to foul out of every NBA game he plays for a while...but I think his tools are too freakish for the G-League. I don't think he'd learn very much because the bigs down there can't compete with his length, athleticism & skills.

I'd much rather have him battling Kanter in practice every day...learning how to box out a top class rebounder & how to handle a highend post scorer who can outmuscle him...while talking with NBA refs about what he's gotta do to stop fouling out & working closely with Fiz on how to defend a PnR.

Fiz & co can work on his conditioning just as well as they can in Westchester, and he'll learn so much more. That's why I'd like to see him given as much NBA PT as he can handle if he continues to work hard & impress in camp/pre-season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't need to. He's off the books after next season. If Knicks are smart they won't need cap space this year and next.

Yeah, if we move Lee for an expiring...be it getting Memphis to bite before the season or a banged up playoff team bolstering their depth around the deadline...we'll have that one max contract slot even without moving Noah or THJ. So we can just let Noah expire the following summer and Timmy to become a good 6th man if we do get Kyrie...or draft a stud guard to play next to frank in 2019...

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What are the possibilities for trading noah? Are there any other bad contracts worth trading him for?

The best thing that they could do is actually play him right now. If he establishes any remote value, he could be moved as an expiring deal next summer, if they're looking to get a player that they want for 2019. Some team would look to buy him out like the Nets did with Dwight Howard.

I'd prefer they just let him expire at this point. Kanter is gone 7/1/19. Robinson is a rookie right now, so having Noah isn't terrible.

Reactions: darko

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He needs the conditioning work, without a doubt, and he's going to foul out of every NBA game he plays for a while...but I think his tools are too freakish for the G-League. I don't think he'd learn very much because the bigs down there can't compete with his length, athleticism & skills.

I'd much rather have him battling Kanter in practice every day...learning how to box out a top class rebounder & how to handle a highend post scorer who can outmuscle him...while talking with NBA refs about what he's gotta do to stop fouling out & working closely with Fiz on how to defend a PnR.

Fiz & co can work on his conditioning just as well as they can in Westchester, and he'll learn so much more. That's why I'd like to see him given as much NBA PT as he can handle if he continues to work hard & impress in camp/pre-season.

Full disclosure: I work a couple miles away from the Westchester County Center, which is where the games are. So I'm sticking with the G league start. haha

Reactions: cgf

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The best thing that they could do is actually play him right now. If he establishes any remote value, he could be moved as an expiring deal next summer, if they're looking to get a player that they want for 2019. Some team would look to buy him out like the Nets did with Dwight Howard.

I'd prefer they just let him expire at this point. Kanter is gone 7/1/19. Robinson is a rookie right now, so having Noah isn't terrible.

Agree.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure how smart it'd be to offer Kyrie a max contract. I'd be worried about his knees.

I think you have to roll the dice if all it will cost is money. I'm not giving up picks to make cap space for him to bring Butler with him, but if we can move Lee without sweeteners so that all it takes is money & he wants to sign with us, then I'm all about it. The impact he could have on our kids when healthy, in helping them realize how good they can be & helping them get league-wide respect, as well as the impact he could have on the court, is worth the risk even if he ends up missing almost a full two seasons worth of games through the course of a 4 year deal.

BTW wasn't his last surgery supposed to clean his knee up so that it's less likely to be reinjured? Knees are scary but this isn't the 90s anymore and knee injuries aren't the guaranteed doom that they once were

Reactions: ponzu4u

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
While I'd love to see it, I'm not quite sure there's any way Noah plays himself into the interest of other GMs.

I'm really fuzzy on the contract structures for the NBA, but I remember reading a rumor about the Knicks working with Noah on a buy out? What does that do the cap hit?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think you have to roll the dice if all it will cost is money. I'm not giving up picks to make cap space for him to bring Butler with him, but if we can move Lee without sweeteners so that all it takes is money & he wants to sign with us, then I'm all about it. The impact he could have on our kids when healthy, in helping them realize how good they can be & helping them get league-wide respect, as well as the impact he could have on the court, is worth the risk even if he ends up missing almost a full two seasons worth of games through the course of a 4 year deal.

BTW wasn't his last surgery supposed to clean his knee up so that it's less likely to be reinjured? Knees are scary but this isn't the 90s anymore and knee injuries aren't the guaranteed doom that they once were

I'd be wary that's all I'm saying. The guy's hurt alot. Great player but risky commiting that much to him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd be wary that's all I'm saying. The guy's hurt alot. Great player but risky commiting that much to him.

He is, which is why it's important that we develop our kids well & come out of the 2019 draft as excited as we are about our 2018 haul. Then we'll have the young talent to consistently make the playoffs even when he misses time, and he can help elevate those young players to another level where we can shine even when he's out.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He is, which is why it's important that we develop our kids well & come out of the 2019 draft as excited as we are about our 2018 haul. Then we'll have the young talent to consistently make the playoffs even when he misses time, and he can help elevate those young players to another level where we can shine even when he's out.
Huge risk that he’ll be healthy when the games matter most, lots of money invested in a ‘maybe’. If you sign Irving for max money you’re absolutely expecting deep playoff runs at that point and won’t settle for ‘good season, first round loss but next year Kyrie will probably be healthy for the playoffs!’

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Melo is going to get out of OKC. This is one way. He'll be in Houston or LA by the end of the summer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
they must think they can work out a sign and trade if it comes to it, or maybe just getting to the finals once is worth it for them

That’s what I’m thinking. They’re trying to take their shot winning the east n hoping their D can bother GSW into going ice cold in the final.

Worst comes to worst the S&T Kawhi to LA and start rebuilding like they were going to soon anyway.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Lowe has mentioned a couple of times now that there's a lot of heat behind Durant wanting to come to the knicks if he leaves GSW, as well, and Rachel Nichols agreed. Which would explain why the f*** KD's agent was hired by the knicks as a consultant during their coaching search...and why Kyrie's drinking buddy got a training camp contract to see how Fizdale runs this team first-hand.

So it's nice that these reports are coming out from legit NBA people...not Screamin A...about true superstars...not the Marbury's & Melo's of the NBA. But I'm not holding my breath on us actually getting any superstar to come to the knicks until Dolan actually sells the team.

...even if Kyrie & KD teaming up with Porzi in NY -- to one-up Lebron's move to LA -- would be soooo in-character for the two of them :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: All Might

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
For all the shit KD got for not winning in OKC and for the shit he still gets for stacking the deck with Golden State, I feel like they would induct him into the HOF yesterday if he won a title with New York :laugh:

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
For all the **** KD got for not winning in OKC and for the **** he still gets for stacking the deck with Golden State, I feel like they would induct him into the HOF yesterday if he won a title with New York :laugh:
Was just gonna post this. His brand and image will go off the charts if/when he brings a title here. It'll be Messierx1000000.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For all the **** KD got for not winning in OKC and for the **** he still gets for stacking the deck with Golden State, I feel like they would induct him into the HOF yesterday if he won a title with New York :laugh:

Not much would shut people up as effectively as leaving arguably the greatest team of all time -- after getting his 3-peat & trio of finals-MVPs -- to fix the most dysfunctional franchise of the past 2 decades.

Especially if he got us that ring by beating Lebron's Lakers after they sign Klay next summer.

Reactions: Bob Richards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad