OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I’ve had a hard time keeping as close of tabs on the NBA as I used to, ever since Dolan pushed Walsh out, so I know nothing about this Hezonja dude.

Anyone got a quick scouting report of what to expect?

Athletic scorer.

As mentioned before I wouldn't be surprised if he averages something like 20/6/4.

Reactions: cgf

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
A hard cap isn't going to prevent this guys. These dudes are literally working AROUND the cap to get these teams together.

One player can make a massive difference. This isn't hockey.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
New heights? What new heights? Watching the same team win over and over again?

Those are some heights.

The way they play.

I’m a Knicks fan. My team won’t win even if the league makes it as easy for us as the NHL makes it for their teams. So why should I care more about the jerseys of the team lifting the trophy than the caliber of basketball they play en route to doing so?

If you can’t be impressed & amazed by that Golden State machine, then what are you doing watching basketball? They are incredible.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Athletic scorer.

As mentioned before I wouldn't be surprised if he averages something like 20/6/4.

I meant more so is he more of a shooter or slasher, a power guy or a finesse guy in the paint, is his passing adequate or does he get tunnel vision like our players in the darkest of the Isiah days...but I like that we seem to be looking for those types of guys who could be a nifty 3rd or 4th option if Kyrie really is crazy enough to team up with Porzi for us next summer lol.

Now we just need to cross our fingers & clench our buttcheeks until we find out if Fizdale really is the great teacher some think he is...

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I meant more so is he more of a shooter or slasher, a power guy or a finesse guy in the paint, is his passing adequate or does he get tunnel vision like our players in the darkest of the Isiah days...but I like that we seem to be looking for those types of guys who could be a nifty 3rd or 4th option if Kyrie really is crazy enough to team up with Porzi for us next summer lol.

Now we just need to cross our fingers & clench our buttcheeks until we find out if Fizdale really is the great teacher some think he is...

He's a shooter but he can also score of the drible and drive to the hoop. He's very athletic. I don't think he's a great passer but he does a good job on fast breaks. Suited to play #3.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's a shooter but he can also score of the drible and drive to the hoop. He's very athletic. I don't think he's a great passer but he does a good job on fast breaks. Suited to play #3.

Thanks a ton...can’t help but wonder if we see him n Knox in the front court together at some point if Knox hits the ground running. Even though I know that’s rooted in the same kind of optimism that has lead this team to break my heart time & time again :laugh:

Luckily I’m gunna be happy watching the Knicks again this season as long as we give all the kids minutes like it sounds like we are planning to

Reactions: darko

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Thanks a ton...can’t help but wonder if we see him n Knox in the front court together at some point if Knox hits the ground running. Even though I know that’s rooted in the same kind of optimism that has lead this team to break my heart time & time again :laugh:

Luckily I’m gunna be happy watching the Knicks again this season as long as we give all the kids minutes like it sounds like we are planning to

Knicks will be fun to watch next season. They won't be good but they are young and exciting.

I'm still a big believer in Frank. Don't think he'll be a star but will turn into a good player. People forget he's only 19. Frank/Knox/Hezonja/Porzingis is a solid core. I'm hoping they can grab their PG of the future in the next draft.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Knicks will be fun to watch next season. They won't be good but they are young and exciting.

I'm still a big believer in Frank. Don't think he'll be a star but will turn into a good player. People forget he's only 19. Frank/Knox/Hezonja/Porzingis is a solid core. I'm hoping they can grab their PG of the future in the next draft.

I’m still scared of getting too attached to Frank. He’s exactly the kind of long & smart secondary player I tend to really love...especially with his shot starting to come along...and Dolan tends to forget exists as anything other than tradebait lol

But agreed. I’ll enjoy watching the kids learn even in the losses...as long as we stick with the kids and Dolan doesn’t decide we need to make some trades to convince Porzi the team isn’t completely useless without him...

Edit:
I also can’t help but be curious about wtf we have in Robinson. Is he the next Whiteside only he had to sit out a season because the NCAA makes FIFA look like a legit organization, or is this kid just Eddy Curry level lazy...god do I still hate that fat bastard; I used to fool around with a girl who lived in the same cul-de-sac as him and a lot of my friends worked at the Portillo’s he’d hit up 4 times a week, so I still know most of his fat f*** go-to order because they knew I was a Knicks fan and made sure to tell me how many times he emphasized “extra mayonnaise” on his beef lol

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Let me dream!!!

...and be happy with our young core even if Kyrie isn’t crazy enough to think he can fix Dolan...

The question is, would you give a guy with Kyrie's knees a max contract?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The question is, would you give a guy with Kyrie's knees a max contract?

I haven’t read up on the new cap rules since they changed, but to me that question depends on term. On a 3 or 4 year...so he can move on more easily if it’s not working out...deal? I gamble on his talent every time.

If he can ask for an 8 year deal & wants one, then I’d start to get nervous...but might in end still take the risk because of what playing with him before his knees explode for good could do for our kids...especially Frank & any guard we draft next year, although I also think Porzi could lead the league in scoring with Kyrie helping create for him depending on how they clicked. But maybe I underestimate the impact his injuries have had on his game.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I haven’t read up on the new cap rules since they changed, but to me that question depends on term. On a 3 or 4 year...so he can move on more easily if it’s not working out...deal? I gamble on his talent every time.

If he can ask for an 8 year deal & wants one, then I’d start to get nervous...but might in end still take the risk because of what playing with him before his knees explode for good could do for our kids...especially Frank & any guard we draft next year.

4/139 is max Kyrie can get from another team next season. 5/188 from Boston.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
4/139 is max Kyrie can get from another team next season. 5/188 from Boston.

Yeah if he’ll come here I give him that without hesitation unless...as I said in my edit that you ninja’d me on lol...I’m massively under-estimating how much his knee injuries have already sapped from his game.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The way they play.

I’m a Knicks fan. My team won’t win even if the league makes it as easy for us as the NHL makes it for their teams. So why should I care more about the jerseys of the team lifting the trophy than the caliber of basketball they play en route to doing so?

If you can’t be impressed & amazed by that Golden State machine, then what are you doing watching basketball? They are incredible.
Nobody pays to watch the Washington Generals.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nobody pays to watch the Washington Generals.

And yet the CL final is the most watched event on the planet...other than the World Cup final, which has even less parity :dunno:

And bringing up what people will pay is a terrible point in a discussion about the NBA on an NHL board.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So I guess I'm a Lakers fan now :dunno:

I also like the Knicks but I've just resigned myself to having someone else to root for when the Knicks are out of it. I root for LeBron.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It’s ridiculous but the NBA continues to have success despite the extreme lack of competitiveness. Other sports would die but basketball is such an easy game to pick up and understand it’s so simple, immigrants who come to America from virtually anywhere in the world latch on to the NBA as it allows them to enter and understand ‘American culture’ and they grasp the concept and rules instantaneously and love watching the stars perform as they dream of hitting it big one day too. The finals were over for all intents and purposes this year and I STILL constantly heard young teenage and 20 something immigrant kids working their job and school schedules around the last game of the finals. It’s a ‘see and be seen’ thing and it’s hip and fly (showing my age lol) and that’s why Silver is going to leave it the way it is.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
It’s ridiculous but the NBA continues to have success despite the extreme lack of competitiveness. Other sports would die but basketball is such an easy game to pick up and understand it’s so simple, immigrants who come to America from virtually anywhere in the world latch on to the NBA as it allows them to enter and understand ‘American culture’ and they grasp the concept and rules instantaneously and love watching the stars perform as they dream of hitting it big one day too. The finals were over for all intents and purposes this year and I STILL constantly heard young teenage and 20 something immigrant kids working their job and school schedules around the last game of the finals. It’s a ‘see and be seen’ thing and it’s hip and fly (showing my age lol) and that’s why Silver is going to leave it the way it is.

The NBA is extremely competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad