OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Budenholzer is a Popovich disciple. He did a great job in Atlanta when they had players. I believe they we're at one point the top seed in the east. They decided to tank and he looks bad, but he's a really good coach.

Would love for the Knicks to hire him. He's definitely a team building coach.

2014-15 Atlanta Hawks Roster and Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

This is the 2015 Hawks team he took to a 60-22 record and made it to the ECF.

"“Basketball is different than hockey,” the Garden executive chairman said during a conversation at his MSG office on Wednesday. “A great player in hockey is the difference, but a great player in basketball is the team." - What am I reading here? The exact opposite is true. Hockey is the ultimate team sport. Whereas the modern NBA is fixated upon its stars and building around a core of 2-3 stars to win a championship.

You're ready exactly what your line of thinking is.

The NBA is focused around a couple guys. His, "one guy is the entire team" line is accurate. He's also right about hockey. A great player is the difference. Look at the teams with at least one elite player. They have a shot to do anything because of them. You really need 2 elite players, but this is what Dolan actually means.

Reactions: GordonGecko and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s how a read it to. “In hockey a great player can make a difference for his team. In basketball a great player is the whole f***ing team”

Can’t say I know much about him but I’d love a teacher to coach the Knicks...even if Dolan continues to refuse to ever let us actually tank and fill the team with high upside kids rather than stuffing it with middle of the road complimentary pieces around the few kids we do have.

Reactions: All Might

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Melo single handily lost OKC game 5 with bricking many open looks. He's past his prime, but any team that has him plays a cancerous style of play.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Melo single handily lost OKC game 5 with bricking many open looks. He's past his prime, but any team that has him plays a cancerous style of play.
Westbrook taking 4 fouls in the first half didn't exactly help the Thunder's chances of winning.
Melo should come off the bench as a 6th man, that way he can take as many shots as he wants with the second unit. He could be what Lou Williams is for the Clippers

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Westbrook taking 4 fouls in the first half didn't exactly help the Thunder's chances of winning.
Melo should come off the bench as a 6th man, that way he can take as many shots as he wants with the second unit. He could be what Lou Williams is for the Clippers
His ego wouldn't be able to take that. He's gonna make $28mil and management can't justify having a player with that salary come off the bench anyways.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
"“Basketball is different than hockey,” the Garden executive chairman said during a conversation at his MSG office on Wednesday. “A great player in hockey is the difference, but a great player in basketball is the team." - What am I reading here? The exact opposite is true. Hockey is the ultimate team sport. Whereas the modern NBA is fixated upon its stars and building around a core of 2-3 stars to win a championship.
He's right, in hockey you need that difference maker to get over the top, but at least you can compete with a well assembled team. In the NBA if you don't have that star you don't even have a team

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Dude you are so on to something here...

He legit sat down with Larry Brooks, about the Knicks. I've never seen a Larry Brooks Knicks article until that day.

He writes baseball in the summer, but basketball?

Has to be Dolan himself, or someone who talks to Dolan directly (other than Slats/Gorton).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

If he can develop into a Jrue, that'd be a HR pick. Here's hoping.

Very impressed by Jrue these playoffs as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Are these reports about Bud true? If he wants to be the coach, that would be amazing

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Please opt out.

Still shameful that the team didn't trade him or KOQ at the deadline.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
We're gonna look at Donovan Mitchell the same way we look at Tarasenko. What could've been.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Are these reports about Bud true? If he wants to be the coach, that would be amazing

It’s cool that the Knicks are doing a real thorough search, but I’m gonna snap if they let Bud go to the Bucks bc they took forever and played coy with several options.

Pull the trigger already.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Knicks & Rangers going completely opposite. We're not hearing a single thing out of Gorton's office about candidates whereas the Knicks are looking at a new guy every day and letting the world know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->