NBA CBA and the coronavirus. UPD - restart approved

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How the coronavirus could affect the NBA, CBA and the league’s future

A lot is up in the air as the league deals with an unprecedented crisis.

Will players still be paid?
Short answer: Probably. Longer answer: It really depends.

All NBA contracts became fully guaranteed on Jan. 10, as they do every season. That means that every player is now guaranteed their full salary for the remainder of the 2019-20 season. That part is pretty simple.

What’s not simple is the answer to the question of a longer than anticipated shutdown, or a full cancellation. In that case, the NBA has the right to enact “force majeure”, which could involve anything from lower payments to changed pay schedules to a full opt -out of the CBA.

Stay tuned

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Given that the US-Canada border restrictions for non-essential travel has been expanded another 30 days, I'm thinking maybe restart by mid-June at the earliest. Maybe late June or even early July.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Report: NBA considering finishing season out at Disney World amid coronavirus pandemic

Disney World features 12 on-site basketball courts, enough hotel rooms for the entire league and a state that has been aggressive in trying to host sporting ev...

(Las Vegas might not be available. They had Thomas & Mack plus Cox Pavilion on UNLV campus booked for summer league. I had conference I was attending first week in July at Student Union. UNLV has cancelled all on campus activities this summer. Could be they cancelledon NBA too.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Report: MGM has pitched the NBA a plan for finishing the season in Las Vegas

The gaming company said it could host NBA teams and any other necessary staffers at its complexes and keep them isolated.

Proposed to block off entire block of hotel, plus other space, for practice, games, recreation, and could accommodate players, staff AND their families.

(NBA had reserved UNLV arenas for summer league, but college has canceled all on campus events through summer. )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad