NBA and NBAPA Agree To Continue Play-In Tournament For 21-22 Season

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Better this than pausing the regular season for some meaningless mid-season tournament that takes away from the playoffs. Plus it keeps more teams in contention longer, which helps keep interest.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Limits tanking to an extent. I am ok with it.

Not really. It basically kills the idea of competing for one of the last few seeds during the final month when you can finish 10th and still possibly make the playoffs. Better off resting your players and keeping them in top shape for the play in games.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I see quite the opposite. It keeps more teams in the playoff hunt longer, which means that there are still teams hunting for that last spot, just more lower-ranked teams in the hunt. And, yes, giving a greater opportunity to get that play-in spot later in the season encourages teams to compete, not intentionally lose to get better draft lottery odds (ie, tanking).

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Instead of keeping the play-in tournament for next season...

The solution I have here is much better than a play-in tournament. While it means sometimes one conference will have more playoff teams than the other (which is solved by the CFL-style crossover rule), it also heavily decreases the chances that a team with a losing record will make the playoffs in a given season.

What else is better than the NBA's play-in tournament? None other than this proposal for the NHL:

NHL should keep its 2020-21 alignment until a Canadian team wins the Cup

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I hate this tournament so much.

Mostly because it potentially rewards below average play, especially in the Eastern Conference.

Reactions: Reaser

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Instead of keeping the play-in tournament for next season...

The solution I have here is much better than a play-in tournament. While it means sometimes one conference will have more playoff teams than the other (which is solved by the CFL-style crossover rule), it also heavily decreases the chances that a team with a losing record will make the playoffs in a given season.

I hate this tournament so much.

Mostly because it potentially rewards below average play, especially in the Eastern Conference.

I don't like it either. Hence my proposed solution in the above post. The idea is to limit the chances a team with a losing record gets in, by rewarding teams who finish below the 8th seed in their conference but still have better records than some top 8 teams in the other conference, and taking the place of those teams in that conference's playoffs. Like how Memphis would be been an Eastern playoff team, displacing Washington, under my proposed format last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->