NBA and ESPN/ABC Extend Through 2015-16 Season

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
an agressive campaign to attract ALL ages- for sure the teens and youth but just as much the older ones who have more $$ to spend overall.

Older people are more set in their ways though. Their likes and dislikes don't seem to change. Yes they have more money, but it can find its way into the NHL through the youth as if the youth want to get into the NHL, they start off by spending daddy's money to go to games and get merchandise. Then in their 20's and later they spend their own cash.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Older people are more set in their ways though. Their likes and dislikes don't seem to change. Yes they have more money, but it can find its way into the NHL through the youth as if the youth want to get into the NHL, they start off by spending daddy's money to go to games and get merchandise. Then in their 20's and later they spend their own cash.

You need the older ones and families to bring the young kids like 7 and 8 yrs. old to start enjoying the game and hopefully WATCH on tv as well. Having the teens is nice but the older ones are needed as well for different reasons. Listen, the league at this point needs anybody and everybody whatever age and however they can contribute whether by watching on tv, the internet, or by going to the games. It can not be choosy! I do like the idea however of advertising at the movies and I think there needs to be more cross advertising with other sports as well.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
New York Times:

So TV viewership is declining not so much in total, but due to increased segmentation yet the rights to the digital property are worth $7+ billion (or 10 times the value of the old deal)? Here's the spin:

Why doesn't that argument work for the NHL when the league starts getting skewered about diminishing TV ratings??

The answer? The NHL has never really had good ratings... The NBA... has.

Fugu

What is the point of your response- I really don't get it. What does your summation of what the NBA will get with the new tv contract have anthing to do with what I said about ESPN not giving a rat's tail about the NHL- what have I missed?

This isn't a TV deal. This is a TV plus digital rights deal. You may recall that the NHL sold some digital rights to the CBC earlier this year (maybe a mod can help with the link) as a separate deal from the HNIC rights (or as a subset of it). I don't remember the details.

So if you can get beyond viewing this is a just a TV contract, you'll understand the point. Please do read the NY Times article. The reporter of course tried to get a separate dollar amount for the TV and digital rights portions, but the parties refused to disclose that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad