News Article: NBA Analyst Jaromír Jágr Offers His Take on Malkin and Crosby's Lack of Production

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Huge problem. Huge, HUGE problem. Nothing ever goes wrong with a good center drive. It seems so basic to me. It used to be a good habit but with the way players are today I guess they need a coach to tell them its part of the system.

It's probably just part of getting to their game.

Bylsma: "We need to get to our game"

Kunitz: *whispers* "What the heck does that even mean?"

Crosby: "I haven't known for years."

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
What the hell is this???

First HCDB stuttering and fumbling through his interview like a nonsensical simpleton and now Jaromir Jagr offering kind words about our stars and even more shockingly...making sense!!!!!

I'm scared!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
I agree there.

Looks like everyone thinks Hey look Sid (or Geno or James) is on the ice, let's sit back and let him do all the work.

I know, sucks doesn't it?

CorpseLW

Jan 7, 2009
Western PA
I stopped watching the Penguins more than a year ago... probably two years ago. They didn't enter the attacking zone confidently, nor in a variety of ways, especially when the defending team trapped in the neutral zone/at the blue line. Good prey for Boston regardless of how good the Penguins' individual players are.

My regret is not placing at least a $400 bet on the Bruins before the series began, knowing that the New Jersey Devils would beat the Penguins again in the form of the Bruins.

I don't blame the players, I blame the coaching because it's ****. I'm not watching this stupid team play until some dumbass coaches are fired.

If Dan Bylsma had the most deceptive and skilled puck-handler in the game (arguably Datsyuk still), I'm dead certain that the Penguins would still f00k up zone entry and positional play. Or, Dan would just hate Pawel Datyuk because Datsyuk is the real deal--which Dan himself could never be, nor appreciate.

Master Shake*

The Bruins system is also highly dependent on Obstruction just like Detroits is. Hooks, holds, etc are crucial to slowing down either the puck carrier or preventing a man to get open for the puck carrier to pass to.

I am so sick of this yoyoing the NHL goes through every year with penalties. Its a disgrace

Krudus

Jul 13, 2010
Haha, love how people throw around frases like "he is suprisingly not wrong here", with that arrogance. Comon guys, Jagr is a 41 year old NHL veteran, and one of the best players of all time. I know its tempting to try to be condescending of his opinion to make it look like you are experts and above jagr, but it looks pretty stupid. Just a heads up, nobody is gonna be impressed, let alone fooled.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jagr is spot on. It's one of the issues with Kunitz and Dupuis flanking Crosby. When Sid is double teamed, he receives zero support from them. Every time Sid entered the zone, there were 2 or 3 Bruins on him immediately. His wingers aren't capable of doing anything to make the Bruins pay for that.

Another issue that goes back to coaching, and Bylsma not making any changes to the lines.

May 10, 2010
What the hell is this???

First HCDB stuttering and fumbling through his interview like a nonsensical simpleton and now Jaromir Jagr offering kind words about our stars and even more shockingly...making sense!!!!!

I'm scared!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

What are you confused about? That's only one weird thing. Bylsma is usually like that in interviews.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. Jagr offers Boston's game plan that beat the Pens, and it was exactly what something my mother could and did notice.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I saw a lot of times when Sid entered into the zone with no help at all..I asked myself more than a handful of times "why does it seem like his line mates are always changing when he enters the zone?"...That must have been super frustrating for him...
That's the problem with the stretch pass. The player that gets it is usually all alone with no support. Even if support is coming its from to far away.

That actually leads right into poor shot selection from lame areas on the ice. How many times do we see a player like Sutter skate to the top of the circles, all alone, and just put a lame wrister on net? Keep the puck and make a play... don't just give it up.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pretty accurate. How many times was Sid covered by 2 sometimes even 3 guys? We don't play a team game.

Yup you clearly saw it on the Kunitz goal in Boston in game 3 where 4 Bruins were just watching Sid and left Kunitz opened. Bergeron was looking at Sid and no one was really worried about Martin carrying the puck down low

Too bad it didn't happen more often, Bruins gave Sid absolutely nothing, Bergeron was great

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
We should've been dumping the puck and been aggressive in trying to force turnovers and low percentage passes.
We don't have enough puck carrying personnel. At least bennett can do it. Things get a little bit better when he's on the ice.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We should've been dumping the puck and been aggressive in trying to force turnovers and low percentage passes.
We don't have enough puck carrying personnel. At least bennett can do it. Things get a little bit better when he's on the ice.

And the crashing of the net witch the Leafs did a lot of and was successful against he bruins. Bennett did it and it the post

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Jagr makes a good point. One thing for me was seeing how often the Pens just dumped the puck into the zone... should they not be able to play the puck possession game and skate it into the zone and set up?

The dude's right, and I still feel like Bylsma could have done a much better job of spreading out our scoring capability, a la

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennet-Sutter-Kennedy
Cooke-Jokinen-Iginla

where every line is a constant threat...

Not a Pens fan so I could be way off but wouldn't something like this be of more use:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Jokinen-Adams-Kennedy

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Jagr makes a good point. One thing for me was seeing how often the Pens just dumped the puck into the zone... should they not be able to play the puck possession game and skate it into the zone and set up?

Not a Pens fan so I could be way off but wouldn't something like this be of more use:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Jokinen-Adams-Kennedy

You think that with this goal in people's consciousness, Bylsma would have at least attempted to try Crosby with Iginla.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
The amount of times Crosby would pull up to pass and the only Penguins in the zone were all the way on the other side of the ice was sickening. Absolutely zero puck support.

You're right, but I blame the coach for not making adjustments.

Pens needed way more puck support, way more traffic in front of Rask, and needed to take away the boards when Boston was exiting their zone. Coach dropped the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad