OT: NBA 2019-2020

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Did you forget him, or are you suggesting getting rid of RJ Barrett too?
I wasn't high on him in college after his last season and he looks like a pretty bad NBA player ATM. Of course that is a by-product of being on a bad team on itself, but he is not doing much to separate himself from the worst players on the team.

Mitchell on the other hand has been great since he stepped into the NBA.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wasn't high on him in college after his last season and he looks like a pretty bad NBA player ATM. Of course that is a by-product of being on a bad team on itself, but he is not doing much to separate himself from the worst players on the team.

Mitchell on the other hand has been great since he stepped into the NBA.
Understandable, but I still think it'd be a bit premature to move forward from him. No matter which way you slice it, their future looks pretty bleak with minimal good assets over the next 3-4 years.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
The Nets would have been very smart to bring back the New York Nets name and brand. I think they would have got a lot more Knicks fans to jump ship. The way it is now I can't imagine being a Nets fan if you're not from Brooklyn at the very least. They could have still represented different boroughs and neighborhoods like they've been doing with different jerseys, but for all of NYC instead of just Brooklyn. It's difficult to care much about the Knicks considering how bad they've been for such a long time, but I'm a Knicks fan.

Also it's just wrong to say that RJ Barrett has been bad.

EOhBXaUWAAA7Lqr.jpg

EOhBq9RWoAYhWUp.jpg

EOhCAfIXkAAJvTn.jpg

EOhCQgwXkAISQuF.jpg

Reactions: ponzu4u

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You're looking at raw totals.

He is shooting 39/33/60 with a 47 TS%, those are awful numbers.

And then there's this:

IIRC Trae Young was also pretty bad in the first few months of his career, but he turned it around after the All-Star break. RJ is a different player though and needs shooters around him, the Knicks have no one.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
life long Knicks fans are not switching to the Nets in mass numbers, regardless of what you call them. nets will get a larger share of the next generation though for sure.

I’m 36. I’m not switching now. I care less and less about the Knicks, but I just watch more national games. I’ll never root for the Nets. Ever. Or Sixers or Celtics. Doesn’t matter what happens.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
The Knicks definitely banked on being a better team than last year - which was supposed to be the bottoming out year. Which is part of the reason I think they went with Fizdale, as he theoretically had the ability to keep spirits somewhat raised during such a tough season.

But now it seems like once again the plan is getting scrapped, just like it does every 2-3 f'n years with this franchise. It seems like now they're cycling back into a period of desperately trying to become "competitive." There were rumors of Knicks interest in Drummond and that they were exploring trades for other starting caliber players.

The purest stupidity is that this team can't stay on a single track for more than 2-3 years at a time.

Losing out on not just Zion but also Jah was a serious blow last year, but it's even crazier that the plan is just getting pushed forward without having drafted a franchise-defining talent. (i like RJ but he and Mitch are not enough)

I don't understand how this team can still think it will be competitive as a free agent destination. They have to know they need to continue to build through the draft AT MINIMUM for this season and probably hopefully still end up with another lottery pick next year.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The Knicks definitely banked on being a better team than last year - which was supposed to be the bottoming out year. Which is part of the reason I think they went with Fizdale, as he theoretically had the ability to keep spirits somewhat raised during such a tough season.

But now it seems like once again the plan is getting scrapped, just like it does every 2-3 f'n years with this franchise. It seems like now they're cycling back into a period of desperately trying to become "competitive." There were rumors of Knicks interest in Drummond and that they were exploring trades for other starting caliber players.

The purest stupidity is that this team can't stay on a single track for more than 2-3 years at a time.

Losing out on not just Zion but also Jah was a serious blow last year, but it's even crazier that the plan is just getting pushed forward without having drafted a franchise-defining talent. (i like RJ but he and Mitch are not enough)

I don't understand how this team can still think it will be competitive as a free agent destination. They have to know they need to continue to build through the draft AT MINIMUM for this season and probably hopefully still end up with another lottery pick next year.
The problem is that Management is not given a leash to rebuild. They're given one season of crappiness and then the expectation is reset as 'competitive'. Once the team continues to be crappy the next season, Management gets desperate as their jobs are on the line and they begin looking to trade potential for 'proven' retreads who can make the team appear competitive on paper (earning them more time to survive in the job) but in reality just ruin their draft position. Rinse and repeat.

NHL has much less scrutiny, Rangers can rebuild with the same Management team for 4+ years so a real rebuild can happen. With the Knicks they get one year and then Management panics and digs a deeper hole. Sad.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

DLo is pretty much exactly the player the Knicks would be looking for in the draft. They haven't had a better PG the past 20+ years.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Only positive for Mills is outside of Randle, he didn't give anyone multiple years last summer, so if for some stupid reason a smart NBA person wanted the job, they are coming with a pretty blank balance sheet.

Reactions: JimmyG89

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Only positive for Mills is outside of Randle, he didn't give anyone multiple years last summer, so if for some stupid reason a smart NBA person wanted the job, they are coming with a pretty blank balance sheet.

Yup, you have a roster with a few young players on the team, essentially a blank slate when it comes to salaries, and some extra firsts from Dallas. Even if they are in the 20s, those can have some added value when attempting to make deals, or even to find a guy that could be a rotation player moving forward.

If Ujiri is the target and they can pull him onboard, he's someone that has done well with later picks in drafts, especially since Toronto has been either in the playoffs or made runs and had lesser picks due to that.

But, Mills being gone is a HUGE deal. Since he was on board, the team doesn't make the playoffs or contend. The team only got better when he was gone. Left in 2009, and immediately were better. Came back after the 2013 playoffs and it's been downhill since. Amazing it has taken this long to move on from this guy, but we all know Dolan takes forever to make these moves.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Also, hopefully Mills was the one who wanted to keep Morris, and Perry wanted to trade him, guess we will find out in the next few days.

Reactions: JimmyG89

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Then just wait a year and let Perry run things on an interim basis. The Knicks are in no position to be giving up any kind of assets at the moment.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->