OT: NBA 2019-2020

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The first person who came to mind when I heard the news was Roberto Clemente.
Me too.

The crazy thing is, Clemente was a) still playing (albeit getting close to the end of his career) and b) died while on a humanitarian mission to Nicarauga.

Not to take away from the tragedy of Kobe's death, especially since he meant so much to so many Millennials of color, but if you don't know the story of Clemente, it's pretty incredible:

Clemente spent much of his time during the off-season involved in charity work. When Managua, the capital city of Nicaragua, was affected by a massive earthquake on December 23, 1972, Clemente (who visited Managua three weeks before the quake) immediately set to work arranging emergency relief flights.[64] He soon learned, however, that the aid packages on the first three flights had been diverted by corrupt officials of the Somoza government, never reaching victims of the quake.[65] He decided to accompany the fourth relief flight, hoping that his presence would ensure that the aid would be delivered to the survivors.[66] The airplane he chartered for a New Year's Eve flight, a Douglas DC-7 cargo plane, had a history of mechanical problems and an insufficient number of flight personnel (missing both a flight engineer and copilot), and was overloaded by 4,200 pounds.[67] It crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico immediately after takeoff on December 31, 1972 due to engine failure.[68]
A few days after the crash, the body of the pilot and part of the fuselage of the plane were found. An empty flight case apparently belonging to Clemente was the only personal item recovered from the plane. Clemente's teammate and close friend Manny Sanguillén was the only member of the Pirates not to attend Roberto's memorial service. The Pirates catcher chose instead to dive into the waters where Clemente's plane had crashed in an effort to find his teammate. The bodies of Clemente and three others who were also on the four-engine plane were never recovered.[68]
Montreal Expos pitcher Tom Walker, then playing winter league ball in Puerto Rico (in a league later named after Clemente), helped him load the plane. Because Clemente wanted Walker, who was single, to go enjoy New Year's,[69] Clemente told him not to join him on the flight. Walker's son is professional baseball player Neil Walker.[70]
Roberto Clemente - Wikipedia

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm not a racing fan but I heard someone make a comparison to Dale Earnhardt. Guys who dominated their sports like few others, and then were gone in a flash.

I'm never totally shocked with musicians/actors, cause there's usually drugs involved. Would you really be shocked to find out your favorite musician was heavily into drugs? Not me.

This was shocking though. I think as a new(ish) father to a daughter that's almost a year old, his daughter being on board and the discussion of his daughters who survived hit me the hardest. Just awful
Yeah I hugged my daughter last night after I came back from hockey at 1am. I was thinking about just that at the time and it kinda crushed me. Had to give her a hug.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The first person who came to mind when I heard the news was Roberto Clemente.

Which was before my time, but that makes sense.

Obviously we lose pro athletes from time to time, some of them while they're still playing or while they are young.

But I don't know if I can recall something like this where the average person, who really didn't follow sports, would most likely have an immediate awareness of the athlete who passed.

In a weird way, the closest thing I can compare it to is the sudden passing of Princess Diana.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Mike Breen mentioned in last night's game that this is just like when Thurman Munson died. Nobody wanted to play yesterday, because the person that was lost was beyond just a basketball player to most of these guys.

This was one of those things that just floors you. You could see the things he was going to do. He was going to help his daughters get to her highest of points. You never know where that could go.

Going to coach his daughter and her basketball team, being a parent, not doing it because he's Kobe, but because he wanted to do it.

Deleted member 23124

Which was before my time, but that makes sense.

Obviously we lose pro athletes from time to time, some of them while they're still playing or while they are young.

But I don't know if I can recall something like this where the average person, who really didn't follow sports, would most likely have an immediate awareness of the athlete who passed.

In a weird way, the closest thing I can compare it to is the sudden passing of Princess Diana.
For some reason, I immediately thought of Thurman Munson.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kobe was special and his mark on the world is so wide-ranging. Obviously he inspired a new generation of basketball players. He also inspired athletes more generally, black youth, entrepreneurs, fathers, and husbands. This is one of those deaths that has me questioning the point of it all.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
payne Stewart. thats who i thought of.

and kobis family. all the families.

if there is a god, how can he let this happen ?

sad.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can't think of a sports celebrity death this big in my lifetime. Like Mike Francesa said last night, there are some athletes the public knows on a first name basis and a lot of them are from the NBA--Wilt, Magic, Michael, Shaq, Lebron. And Kobe is one of them. Just devastating.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can't think of a sports celebrity death this big in my lifetime. Like Mike Francesa said last night, there are some athletes the public knows on a first name basis and a lot of them are from the NBA--Wilt, Magic, Michael, Shaq, Lebron. And Kobe is one of them. Just devastating.

I think it's the magnitude that really stands out.

Obviously there are some top names we've mentioned in this thread, but I don't know if any of them quite had the national, or even international cross-culture/pop-culture recognition of Kobe Bryant.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
upload_2020-1-29_19-49-26.jpeg

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
This year is actually worse than last year. They signed all these clowns, and thought they were going to win some games.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This year is actually worse than last year. They signed all these clowns, and thought they were going to win some games.

people thought they were going to win games? they missed out on all the big free agents and then signed guys left in the clearance rack at walmart

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
people thought they were going to win games? they missed out on all the big free agents and then signed guys left in the clearance rack at walmart
This off season had people try to convince you Julius Randle was a core player. LOL

Reactions: Leetch3

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

If ownership's plan was to tank, then Fizdale wouldn't have been fired, he would have been seen as doing a great job.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If ownership's plan was to tank, then Fizdale wouldn't have been fired, he would have been seen as doing a great job.

the plan wasn't to tank the plan was to luck into zion and then sign durant and kyrie...not really sure how any knick fan went into this season thinking they would be better? if anything I would think the common perception would be 'this team will never be good ever again'

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
the plan wasn't to tank the plan was to luck into zion and then sign durant and kyrie...not really sure how any knick fan went into this season thinking they would be better? if anything I would think the common perception would be 'this team will never be good ever again'

I don't think the fans did, but Mills and Dolan tried to sell it like they were going to be competitive. They didn't say that last year when they were actively tanking.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think the fans did, but Mills and Dolan tried to sell it like they were going to be competitive. They didn't say that last year when they were actively tanking.
Of course. Management knew they had 1 freebie year of losing (last year) with job security and fan patience. This year though is not house money and fans were foolishly expecting a competitive team so ownership/management has to sing the song of 'competitive' even though they knew the team was a patchwork at best. When no FA's want to come to the team you have to build through the draft for 3+ years which in NY NBA = management turnover 2-3 times. Ridiculous on so many levels.

Reactions: ponzu4u

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Right now you have a coach that is probably just doing whatever Mills and Perry want. He's playing DSJ to showcase him. Ellington played just to show he is healthy. Gibson is starting, and while he's actually done well, you have to think they're giving him minutes just to trade him.

Not sure Morris gets moved at this point, but he should. Max out his value. They need an extra 1st at this point and someone will give it to them.

They could honestly trade their whole roster sans Barrett, Knox, and Frank at this point. Take whatever you can get. Young players, picks, whatever. Gotta find something that will work with the team longer term. Having huge roster turnover this summer is probably not ideal for building a real winner. Get guys in trades and keep them around. Let them play these last 30 odd games to avoid having to get chemistry all over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad