Player Discussion Nazem Kadri

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
So what the hells the deal with him?

He seems totally checked out, doesn’t seem interested at all. Is it a Sutter problem, and Kadri is just over playing for him? Cause really it’s starting to get embarrassing watching him out there….

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Eyeball test looks bad the last while. He looks slow, sloppy. I perceive there to be no chemistry with his linemates. However, last 5-10 games the shots/60 are there, the iscf/60, icf/60 are all good. Much better than Backlund, who had sustained a high level of play for half the season. Darryl seems to think he can't handle, or hasn't earned more minutes. He and Huberdeau should be playing 18, but they only get 16

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He ended last season in late June. He's over 30, so a short off-season is going to have more of an impact on performance. That's probably why he was a more impactful player in October than now.

That said he's tied for third in team scoring while playing all over the lineup. His -18 is hella concerning, and IMO attributable to the above.

Or he has a bad attitude and has already quit on the coach and his teammates. I don't think that's based in reality, but fan fiction.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Or he has a bad attitude and has already quit on the coach and his teammates. I don't think that's based in reality, but fan fiction.
I think, as you pointed out, he's probably gassed, and the new team bump has faded. The stuff with Darryl, who knows. I bet it's more that the team has been up and down, and Kadri has been frustrated by his own play, and lack of chemistry rather than a war with Darryl where he quit on the team. He's trying out there, just having a rough go.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's just getting pushed to the outside way too easily. Hits the offensive blueline and stops skating and glides to the half boards where he gets pinched off looking for a pass. That's not his game, that's never been his game. Huberdeau can get away with it because he has the vision and hands to make a play from there, even if it doesn't work all the time. That Zadorov goal last night was a good example of what he can do with a little space.

Nazem has to keep the legs driving and cut to the middle or chip and chase. Or just fire a high hard one through the defender. Also scrum it up a bit man, I remember hating when we were playing this guy because he was always in the goalie's face or giving a bit of extra stick work to the defense. Seen very little of that from him this season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He’s been meh to awful for most of the season. Legitimately don’t understand why we paid 7m for a player who doesn’t tilt the ice anymore than backlund does. The game against Chicago was some of the worst hockey I can recall.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He’s been meh to awful for most of the season. Legitimately don’t understand why we paid 7m for a player who doesn’t tilt the ice anymore than backlund does. The game against Chicago was some of the worst hockey I can recall.
He's actually generating quite a bit more individual offense than Backlund on the span of the season, and is substantially ahead of him in meaningful metrics over the 78 or so games. He's also killing younger centres like Brayden Point, and Mark Scheifele, in shots/60, icf/60, and is on par with Point in iscf/60, and they get more minutes with way better linemates.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Struggled since the new year, and a detriment to his team in his last 20 games

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
For me it’s not so much his play, although the turnovers have been brutal. It’s his body language. Doesn’t seem engaged at all, and he is all woe is me when he does have the brutal turnovers. I thought we were getting a defensive 2C who could put the puck in 25-30 times a year. Pucks not going in I still want the dude who’s a pain in the ass to play against.

Also the amount these guys train now playing hockey in June isn’t an excuse. Everyone else in the world works year round. Grow up and play better.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
1680921469581.png

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's actually generating quite a bit more individual offense than Backlund on the span of the season, and is substantially ahead of him in meaningful metrics over the 78 or so games. He's also killing younger centres like Brayden Point, and Mark Scheifele, in shots/60, icf/60, and is on par with Point in iscf/60, and they get more minutes with way better linemates.
He's a volume shooter. I'll give him that.

He's also been porous defensively this season and terrible in the dot (how tf is a 32 yr old centre 47.5% for pete sake). For someone who was billed as a "two-way centre" (never bought that) he's been terrible in his own end. Given the circumstances I'd say Backlund has been the more valuable player this season (arguably even more so than Lindholm).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad