OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Spring-Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kinds wish the Caps would blow it all up and rebuild like the other two teams decided today... but maybe after this coming season, the timing will feel right, even with two boat anchor contracts that appear immovable.

Not really. Ok...I dont. The next rebuild wont be like the last rebuild. Maybe you can watch losing game in and game out just to see the kids play some. I cant. My Directv gets me MASN so I see the Nats here. It was the only reason I kept the service. I will likely cancel for next year. I will then only see what national network games they get which will be few if any.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ruiz is one of the best catcher prospects in the game - great hit tool (with some Soto-esque SO and BB rates), good enough defense to stick behind the plate. Big question was if he'd top out as a slap hitter or if he'd develop some power, and this year he's answered that question with 16 HR in 52 games at AAA (this as a 22 year old catcher, meaning he's about 5 years younger than the average batter in that league, and that while playing the position that traditionally takes the longest to develop). He's the Dodgers' top prospect, could be a starter next season.

Gray is the top pitcher in the Dodgers' system. Don't know as much about him, but he's got three good pitches (fastball, slider, curve) so no reliever risk and the Dodgers already called him up to the majors this year as a 23 year old, so that's encouraging. Sounds like a low risk, but not super high ceiling guy. Also potentially a starter next season.

The other two guys are basically just throw-ins from what I can tell. Gerrardo Carrillo is still young, but is super under-sized and probably profiles as a reliever. Donovan Casey's ripping up AA, but he's 25, so it's not all that impressive.

Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed. With Turner having an extra year before free agency I thought they could get Gavin Lux as part of the return. I really like Ruiz though, I could see him being the Nats starting catcher for a long time.

Thanks. Yeah, that was my feeling too. A little underwhelming.

Hope the Dodgey boys crash and burn. Go Padres and Giants! :D

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Not really. Ok...I dont. The next rebuild wont be like the last rebuild. Maybe you can watching losing game in and game out just to see the kids play some. I cant. My Directv gets me MASN so I see the Nats here. It was the only reason I kept the service. I will likely cancel for next year. I will then only see what national network games they get which will be few if any.
They were 73-89 since winning the world series so you were watching plenty of losing. There is also this thing called streaming.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They were 73-89 since winning the world series so you were watching plenty of losing. There is also this thing called streaming.

Ok...I get it. Are you seriously comparing the underperforming, COVID and injury riddle bunch with the AAA team they will be the next couple of seasons? I did see losing but was expecting to see winning. They made a run that looked real this season.

The broadcast crew right now is talking about it being "several years" I dont really have the time for that anymore

Last edited:

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Ok...I get it. Are you seriously comparing the underperforming, COVID and injury riddle bunch with the AAA team they will be the next couple of seasons? I did see losing but was expecting to see winning. They made a run that looked real this season.

The broadcast crew right now is talking about it being "several years" I dont really have the time for that anymore
Aw did they catch covid and have injuries? I'm sure they were the only team to struggle with that. At least the elderly caps make the playoffs and don't play in a dumpster fire division.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just saw a gymnast say what Simone Biles has is basically the gymnastics version of the yips. Geez. That would be bad. Wow.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just saw a gymnast say what Simone Biles has is basically the gymnastics version of the yips. Geez. That would be bad. Wow.
Gymnasts call it "the twisties." There's a video where you can actually see the moment she has no idea where she is in the air during warm ups on the vault. Her facial expressions are pretty frightening to be honest.

This isn't the video where you can see her face but still worth the watch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Gymnasts call it "the twisties." There's a video where you can actually see the moment she has no idea where she is in the air during warm ups on the vault. Her facial expressions are pretty frightening to be honest.

This isn't the video where you can see her face but still worth the watch.

What I dont get is this sudden dumping of Megan Ripeno as the whipping girl of the right and jumping full force on Biles. I really dont get that at all.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What I dont get is this sudden dumping of Megan Ripeno as the whipping girl of the right and jumping full force on Biles. I really dont get that at all.
The short answer is that people suck. The more nuanced answer is that keyboard warriors are intimidated by strong women and they also deep down don't like themselves so they harbor a deep sense of resentment against people but especially against women who have achieved high levels of success. They enjoy seeing others fail and they enjoy tearing successful people down to make themselves feel better about themselves and they have this weird sense of betrayal towards athletes they don't know not performing or acting the way they want them to.

But mostly it's that a lot of people suck.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It’s the same thing as the name and shaming the left does to people on the right. It makes them feel good and keeps them employed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s the same thing as the name and shaming the left does to people on the right. It makes them feel good and keeps them employed.

No, I get that it makes them feel good to trash people. I get that. I don't get why they decided to target Simone. The US Women's Soccer team I get. The women don't care and don't need them but I know the reason. What's the reason they decided attack the best athlete they have other than Katie?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The short answer is that people suck. The more nuanced answer is that keyboard warriors are intimidated by strong women and they also deep down don't like themselves so they harbor a deep sense of resentment against people but especially against women who have achieved high levels of success. They enjoy seeing others fail and they enjoy tearing successful people down to make themselves feel better about themselves and they have this weird sense of betrayal towards athletes they don't know not performing or acting the way they want them to.

But mostly it's that a lot of people suck.

Yea, the strong women thing I get. I imagine her race isn't helpful either. Based on flight crews getting hand to hand combat training, it appears the keyboard warriors and trying to bring the real now too

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No, I get that it makes them feel good to trash people. I get that. I don't get why they decided to target Simone. The US Women's Soccer team I get. The women don't care and don't need them but I know the reason. What's the reason they decided attack the best athlete they have other than Katie?
There’s still a big stigma when it comes to mental health issues and people either don’t think it’s a real injury or they think, worse, that it’s a sign of weakness. If Simone had broken her ankle on the dismount and that’s why she withdrew then she’d be hailed as a hero for giving everything she had to her country and team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There’s still a big stigma when it comes to mental health issues and people either don’t think it’s a real injury or they think, worse, that it’s a sign of weakness. If Simone had broken her ankle on the dismount and that’s why she withdrew then she’d be hailed as a hero for giving everything she had to her country and team.

I am wondering where in America First means cheering for your olympic team to lose? Looking forward the the soccer semis and for Allyson Felix 400m. Last time getting to see her in the Olympics you'd have to guess.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I am wondering where in America First means cheering for your olympic team to lose? Looking forward the the soccer semis and for Allyson Felix 400m. Last time getting to see her in the Olympics you'd have to guess.
Just like everything else, it’s America First… but only if it’s on their terms and it fits their view of America First. If it’s not you’re just disrespecting the greatest country ever.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad