OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Spring-Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I can’t be the only one who was surprised to see Stewart Cink is only 47. Could have sworn he was already on the Sr Tour LOL!

pulling for the old man today!

Yeah when I heard that yesterday I was decently surprised and checked the internet because I thought the commentators had to be mistaken.

I think it is because when he won the Open in 2009 he looked a lot older than 36 IMO and I assumed he was. And now 11 years later he’s only 47 but I thought he was around his mid 40’s then. Plus it isn’t like we’ve seen a heck of a lot of him on TV over the last 10+ years because he hasn’t played all that well in general.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

What do we think about this one?

PGA Tour pros are complaining about it but they know the rule. You have 10 seconds to tap it in after you get to the hole. If that rule isn't in place then SOME JACKASS in a club championship is going to stand there for as long as possible, waiting for the wind to kick up or enough footsteps to maybe knock the ball in the hole.

My guess is the rule was first adopted specifically because some asshole did exactly that. A lot of these "why would you need this" rules probably came about the same way...one jerk found a loophole and exploited it.

On this putt there is no way it was "still moving" as they've claimed. In none of the shots above do you see the ball even oscillating, much less moving. If it was hanging on the lip long enough it may have compressed the grass/turf underneath it just enough for the little breath of wind to finally knock it in (look at the flag right as it drops).

Meh. Take your 4 and move on.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah you can’t wait 75 seconds for the ball to hopefully drop unless it is obviously moving, IMO. That’s absurd.

And relying on people to do the right thing is how we got 10 ‘service’ dogs on every airplane...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You have 2 players and 2 caddies saying they could see the ball slightly moving. If true, you wait IMO.

They were right there on top of it and Kuchar was adamant. By my count he (Kuchar) was there looking closely at about 7-8 seconds after the timer started (when SWK stood right over the ball). His caddie was there already.

This is a BS ruling IMO.

Otherwise, yes I support the spirit of this rule.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The spirit of the rule is to prevent exactly what happened, but I think 10 seconds is way too short. I timed it and it seemed about 55 second was the rough time they were over it, is probably too long, maybe 30 seconds makes sense.

At the same time, they official could/should absolutely have allowed that the ball was still moving as Kuchar testified to. If Kuchar was correct (and who is to challenge that, super slow motion close up replays?), then the official made the wrong call and he should have been given the benefit of the doubt there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is no way that ball was moving from the video I saw.

I don't trust Kuchar, either. He's the same jackass that berated a rules official over a bogus claim that his tee shot settled in its own pitch mark when it clearly didn't.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There is no way that ball was moving from the video I saw.

I don't trust Kuchar, either. He's the same jackass that berated a rules official over a bogus claim that his tee shot settled in its own pitch mark when it clearly didn't.

Well OK, so Kuchar isn't to be trusted, but he wasn't lobbying for himself here, he was lobbying on behalf of Kim, for Kim. Point being the official could have taken that into consideration, Kuchar wasn't the only one who was saying it either, no?

I didn't see it move, but I was watching on this clip from TV, those four guys were the only ones standing right over it. It could have been wiggling a bit :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well OK, so Kuchar isn't to be trusted, but he wasn't lobbying for himself here, he was lobbying on behalf of Kim, for Kim. Point being the official could have taken that into consideration, Kuchar wasn't the only one who was saying it either, no?

I didn't see it move, but I was watching on this clip from TV, those four guys were the only ones standing right over it. It could have been wiggling a bit :)

I didn't see any wiggle and a wiggle is an oscillation not movement. There's no penalty for hitting a wiggling ball, which would be wobbling without changing position (moving). So that excuse from their camp would be voided.

For the ball to still be "moving" during that 55 seconds it would have to change positions. There was no indication of that and if it was really just on the lip there would be no room for it to keep moving for 55 seconds.

My point about Kuchar was that he doesn't seem to care very much about the Rules, a la Reed, whose word I wouldn't take as law here either.

As for the rest in the group there's often a group dynamic and just basic human nature involved. It takes more resolve to go against what just happened and be a stickler for the rules than to simply go along with the pack and claim something hard to dispute like "we saw it moving". The opinions of the caddies don't matter because they're not going to contradict the player (the boss). And the players in that group seemed enthralled by the situation so would not want to go back later and admit an error.

Hell, Bobby Jones used to call penalties on himself for balls oscillating even though nobody else could see, even with his playing partners (and the USGA officials) encouraging him to NOT take a penalty. In at least one case it cost him a US Open, iirc. But he could sleep at night.

If someone can produce a shot of the ball moving within 10 seconds of Kim getting to the ball I'll change my mind. But after getting to the hole you have 10 seconds to tap it in. Waiting longer than that is a breach of the rules and the only way to see it "moving" after that is to break the rule.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s a gentleman’s game. If everyone involved with the hole (and are competitors, not partners), agree on something, and its within the rules ... then you follow their perspective.

that’s the spirit of golf, and it always has been....and what I was taught as a wee lad by my father and grandfather when we played.

Technology advancements should not always supersede the spirit of thr game. And it does in Pro Sports at times, and it’s sad.

I’m not looking to argue here. It’s my feelings, and at 51, I’ve earned them.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I get it. I can see either side on this one. Integrity is SUPPOSED to be a part of the game but I've seen plenty of cheating. And sometimes people simply misinterpret what they see/do.

But I just don't see that ball moving, or how it could still be moving, unless you're already looking at a ball that's been stationary for more than the 10 seconds.

upload_2021-4-20_8-19-1.png

upload_2021-4-20_8-19-33.png

upload_2021-4-20_8-20-27.png

upload_2021-4-20_8-21-48.png

I don't see any movement from the first shot to the last one after about a minute. You still see the same orientation of shades of grass like that light spot near the line on the ball bottom right. There are still about 2 dimples reflecting sunlight from the paint inside the cup to the underside of the ball, showing you where the lip is. The line on the ball never changes orientation.

I think the ball settled a bit into the turf and a breath of wind finally knocked it in (look at the flag).

The question here is whether a rules official was at the hole and thought the ball was not moving. The video shouldn't play a role in the decision. If there's no official then whatever the motive you tend to accept the word of the players that the ball was still moving. But from where I sit that doesn't look to be the case.

It would suck to have that not drop and have to tap it in but there has to be a time limit for these. Maybe it should be longer on faster greens, or longer in general.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-20_8-23-21.png
    upload_2021-4-20_8-23-21.png
    107 KB · Views: 2

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking Newman between the third and forth rib. The spit then cam off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashed off the wrist, Pauses In mid air mind you- makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh. That is one magic luggie...

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp then you say you were struck on the right temple. The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking Newman between the third and forth rib. The spit then cam off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist causing him to drop his baseball cap. The spit then splashed off the wrist, Pauses In mid air mind you- makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh. That is one magic luggie...

Actual video reproduction of the event.

Confirmed with Link: - Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Reactions: Calicaps

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Russell Westbrook seems like a good basketball player if you don’t count, you know, shooting the ball into the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad