OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Spring-Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Thats true. Here's hoping Zimmerman isnt one. After opting out last season and then destroying the ball in camp, to get covid would....you know. That said, If Max is pitching, I am watching. I try not to miss a Max start. Hard to know how many more there are going to be. I still love Max at the Caps finals game.

I'm going to take this out of the Caps GDT since Nats talk doesn't belong there, but it looks like Mad Max is safe:

Nationals-Mets Opener Delayed After Positive COVID Test, Tracing

The team flight from Florida to Washington was where there was close contact between the five people who are quarantining and the player who tested positive.

Scherzer said he was not on that team flight and traveled separately with his family.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Survey: ADs concerned about women's sports

It’s going to be pretty tragic if this is the eventual fallout from compensating college athletes. I totally support some version of comp that makes sense....surely they can figure a way to do this properly...and not crush women’s sports.

I haven't dug too deep into all this situation because I have a full plate, sports wise, but it strikes me as rather than having colleges pay the athletes (they already do somewhat with scholarships), wouldn't it be easier to just let them earn money from their names in the form of sponsorships, autographs, whatever else? Superstar CFB players could pull down lucrative deals before turning pro, which seems fair, while no name swimmers or shotput athletes would scrap for pennies in sponsorship deals, commensurate with their respective media exposure. The idea that a college player can lose his scholarship and the team can forfeit games if the player takes a few dollars for an autograph, seems silly to me. But paying ALL athletes, even in sports programs that lose money, doesn't seem like a viable solution either.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Great night.

that was awesome....I don’t have a local college favorite so I just root for all the local teams usually. Hokies excluded.

I miss Gary.....that dude was a great. When I think how lucky I was to watch John Thompson Sr at the pinnacle, Williams, etc....lucky to have them, and I’m sure I’m forgetting others, just local college hoops came to mind.

Sep 19, 2008
that was awesome....I don’t have a local college favorite so I just root for all the local teams usually. Hokies excluded.

I miss Gary.....that dude was a great. When I think how lucky I was to watch John Thompson Sr at the pinnacle, Williams, etc....lucky to have them, and I’m sure I’m forgetting others, just local college hoops came to mind.
Gary was better than Turgeon IMO

Turgeon had some good teams but they never went past the round of 32 IIRC

meanwhile those MD teams in the early 2000's were pretty good. I think one of them made the final four the year before and lost to Duke but I could be wrong.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Gary was better than Turgeon IMO

Turgeon had some good teams but they never went past the round of 32 IIRC

meanwhile those MD teams in the early 2000's were pretty good. I think one of them made the final four the year before and lost to Duke but I could be wrong.

Williams was a far better “coach” than Turgeon. However, Mark has been the better recruiter and easily landed more overall talent per year than Gary ever did. Gary had a bit of a disdain for recruiting many of the “1 and done” players that have littered the landscape for the past 25-30years. Much to his detriment, and we saw it as he could never quite match Duke/UNC etc for talent levels, while always having more local HS/AU talent than almost anywhere.

I’ve always said if you could combine Williams/Turgeon, you’d have the perfect coach. Like Duke does w Coach K and UNC did w R Williams. (And other like Few, Wright, Self, etc etc etc)

and PS - yeah, Terps lost to Duke in the semi finals in 2001, after having had a huge lead in the first half (I think 20pts?).... was easily the single hardest loss a Terp fan had encountered up until then, in the history of hoops program (even beating the 3 OT loss to NC State in the 70’s).

but it was all washed away by 2002. At least, at the time

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Why not? UMD isn’t a blue blood school and it’s stuck in a football conference. Turg is perfect for the job.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
More time to watch the first place Baltimore Orioles with the second best run differential in the majors.

(Won't be able to say things like that for long, so getting it out now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad