OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, 2019-2020, Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sep 19, 2008
It's well documented I have a serious problem with going to games. It's well documented I went to all 3 DC Defenders games as well as most of the Redskins games, Nationals, Capitals, etc.

DC Defenders games were always a big thrill to attend. The family atmosphere outside the stadium was great, you were able to make your own shields and bring them into the stadium. The tailgating scene wasn't as good as FedEx but still you had your spots. I'll never forget the first DC Defenders game. Walk into Walter's, just want something to eat. Place was packed as hell. 3 hours prior to the game. Riding the metro, see all these football fans. Different jerseys for each person, from a different team. Patriots. Ravens. Eagles, Cowboys.

These people, a disparate mish mash of NFL fans, all united, on that day. For DC. For this city. And it was a great sight. Damn it, he's wearing an Elliot jersey. But he is a Defenders fan. So he is a-okay. For today.

The atmosphere in the park, from the people's section, was always a blast. Shit went on which would never go on in a NFL stadium. You saw the crowd of people wearing meme masks, one guy with the bud light seltzer helmet, another guy starting a beer snake with the "Beer snake starts here" sign...you paid 15 dollars and you stood right next to the field. You would never see thatin any professional NFL stadium. Those seats cost hundreds of dollars. Here, they cost 15.

The XFL was affordable, innovative, and took DC by storm from Feburary to March. It is a damn shame it was not allowed to last longer than it should have. Because let's not mince any words here, DC loved the Defenders and the Defenders loved DC and the atmosphere at Audi Field today.
This is truly a sad day.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I always thought your serious problem was HF Roman. ;)

the XFL will return. No reason for them to stay open and weather the storm with high expenses during this. I think they showed a viable product and will be able to ramp up again in the future. Sad for the employees for sure.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Many living in the US National Capital Region (Baltimore-Washington) dream of seeing the Orioles and Nationals play each other in the World Series. It doesn't appear likely to happen this season if we're basing predictions off of 2019 performance. But Baltimore has made a dramatic improvement from a 100+ loss season before. The year after losing 107 games in 1988, the Orioles were in contention until the final weekend of the season.

Now onto the NFL.

This year will mark another official meeting of the "Beltway Bowl" between the Ravens and Redskins. It will be Lamar Jackson's first game in a rivalry that only takes place in an official capacity once every four years (always being played in election years). I'm proposing this game be the first Sunday night game of the season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
no penalty at all? Houston? What kind of penalties do you mean? I see guys fired and reps ruined and a team in the cross hairs.

Reps ruined and being in the crosshairs?! That's not a penalty, that is a consequence of their own shitty decisions. As for the actual penalties, I see a coach and GM being scapegoated when it was player led. I see an owner taking absolutely no responsibility, playing the victim card, and facing no consequences. And I see no titles vacated and no player suspensions, fines, or bans; those are the only acceptable penalties.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reps ruined and being in the crosshairs?! That's not a penalty, that is a consequence of their own shitty decisions. As for the actual penalties, I see a coach and GM being scapegoated when it was player led. I see an owner taking absolutely no responsibility, playing the victim card, and facing no consequences. And I see no titles vacated and no player suspensions, fines, or bans; those are the only acceptable penalties.

Ah....I see. So you want the team that we all saw lose the world series suddenly called the champs on paper and you want the astros to give the parade back? Which players are the PA going to allow to be suspended and for how long? No player is going to get a serious suspension over getting typed to a pitch. Lastly, your suggestion was gambling was bad and cheating to win a game was good. Its not good. Leading the league by 3 times in getting hit by pitches isn't good. Getting booed everytime you step on the field for the full game is not good. Bobby Thomson hit his famous home run with a sign stolen in a center field scam. Call that an out and give the game to the Dodgers and what?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

this is the root cause of most people who are still complaining IMO. A vacated title is what most in that group want, and sadly it was NEVER going to happen. I’m over it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ah....I see. So you want the team that we all saw lose the world series suddenly called the champs on paper and you want the astros to give the parade back? Which players are the PA going to allow to be suspended and for how long? No player is going to get a serious suspension over getting typed to a pitch. Lastly, your suggestion was gambling was bad and cheating to win a game was good. Its not good. Leading the league by 3 times in getting hit by pitches isn't good. Getting booed everytime you step on the field for the full game is not good. Bobby Thomson hit his famous home run with a sign stolen in a center field scam. Call that an out and give the game to the Dodgers and what?

Yeah, I do. Or a big asterisk next to it so history remembers. You can call getting booed or hit by a pitch a penalty and I'll respectfully disagree with all of those takes. There are differences between consequences and penalties. Obviously a more severe example but it's like saying a convicted felon received a penalty because their reputation was ruined. In my opinion their reputation being damaged is a consequence of what they did while going to prison or paying steep fines and having a conviction on your record is the actual penalty. The Astros are realizing the consequences of being cheaters but the penalties assessed were a joke.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, I do. Or a big asterisk next to it so history remembers. You can call getting booed or hit by a pitch a penalty and I'll respectfully disagree with all of those takes. There are differences between consequences and penalties. Obviously a more severe example but it's like saying a convicted felon received a penalty because their reputation was ruined. In my opinion their reputation being damaged is a consequence of what they did while going to prison or paying steep fines and having a conviction on your record is the actual penalty. The Astros are realizing the consequences of being cheaters but the penalties assessed were a joke.

Ok. I have heard of teams maybe in NCAA having wins and maybe even a championship vacated but most people remember that they won and few remember that the win was reversed on paper. The video of that WS shows Houston was the game. The MVP got the Corvette. Its academic in my view. Do you want to get Willie Mays WS Ring back?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ok. I have heard of teams maybe in NCAA having wins and maybe even a championship vacated but most people remember that they won and few remember that the win was reversed on paper. The video of that WS shows Houston was the game. The MVP got the Corvette. Its academic in my view. Do you want to get Willie Mays WS Ring back?

I'm not interested in digging through history books to find instances of players or teams cheating. I'm interested in the here and now and the players that were involved that are still in the league today. Do you think it's it's important to also consider the jobs, careers, and accomplishments that these guys cheated other players and teams out of, or is that academic as well?

And you emphasized my point, so thank you. The videos and Corvettes exist, and there should also exist a giant footnote that they were fraudulently earned, so that they can't enjoy the memory of one without being reminded of the other. And people know that Louisville had their 2013 NCAAB title vacated and Pitino lost his job, and people know that SMU football got the death penalty in the 80's, because there were actual penalties to go along with their infractions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not interested in digging through history books to find instances of players or teams cheating. I'm interested in the here and now and the players that were involved that are still in the league today. Do you think it's it's important to also consider the jobs, careers, and accomplishments that these guys cheated other players and teams out of, or is that academic as well?

And you emphasized my point, so thank you. The videos and Corvettes exist, and there should also exist a giant footnote that they were fraudulently earned, so that they can't enjoy the memory of one without being reminded of the other. And people know that Louisville had their 2013 NCAAB title vacated and Pitino lost his job, and people know that SMU football got the death penalty in the 80's, because there were actual penalties to go along with their infractions.

Didn't the manager of Houston lose his job? As I recall you don't consider that a penalty. Just a scapegoat. Which is it? And the death penalty. Ok. lets kicke them out of the league for 5 years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

What are you trying to do, remind us that the NCAA is one of the most petty organizations in amateur sports? Lol....

the people that care about an asterisk will, but the majority won’t care. If my team lost to them in a World Series I’d carry a grudge to my grave, but otherwise....moving on is more cathartic IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn't the manager of Houston lose his job? As I recall you don't consider that a penalty. Just a scapegoat. Which is it? And the death penalty. Ok. lets kicke them out of the league for 5 years.

Bad logic is bad. Pretty simple: the players did this, the players should face consequences. The organization should face consequences. They faced none; they were not forced to fire the coach and GM, that was a management decision to save face.

And I gave you examples of teams that faced consequences for cheating. I am not advocating for the death penalty; as I already mentioned the organization should have had t0 vacate the title and the players should have faced actual consequences, like suspensions, bans, or major fines.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ok. In MLB teams and players in an organized way and unorganized have been stealing signs for as long as there have been signs. They aren't taking down the records of the steriod era or the batting numbers of players found to be corking their bats and pitchers found to be using illegal substances. Cheating isn't new. I cant change your mind on this and will move along. MLB did dodge a missile when the Nats beat them this last WS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->