OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, 2019-2020, Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Lookup Calciopoli and decide whether the punishment fit the crime. I don’t see what the Astros and Red Cox did any differently and feel the punishment should be similar. That is not an unreasonable opinion IMO and if the ultimate goal is to persuade others from not doing the next version of this I think you need stiff punishments. If not cheating is 100% worth it and should be expected to continue.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ok. In MLB teams and players in an organized way and unorganized have been stealing signs for as long as there have been signs. They aren't taking down the records of the steriod era or the batting numbers of players found to be corking their bats and pitchers found to be using illegal substances. Cheating isn't new. I cant change your mind on this and will move along. MLB did dodge a missile when the Nats beat them this last WS.

There's a big difference between two teams using their wits to steal or guard signs vs one team using technology via home field spy equipment. In one case both teams can try to steal or manually guard against stealing. In the latter case there is a clear, asymmetrical advantage and no way for the other team to know or counter.

The steroid debate is vast and players have suffered consequences when caught. It's hard to quantify a win or loss based on steroid use, compared to an organization that can be shown to have used tech to tilt the game in their favor in ways the other team could not.

Some managers don't want to steal signs at all. Mine didn't.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There's a big difference between two teams using their wits to steal or guard signs vs one team using technology via home field spy equipment. In one case both teams can try to steal or manually guard against stealing. In the latter case there is a clear, asymmetrical advantage and no way for the other team to know or counter.

The steroid debate is vast and players have suffered consequences when caught. It's hard to quantify a win or loss based on steroid use, compared to an organization that can be shown to have used tech to tilt the game in their favor in ways the other team could not.

Some managers don't want to steal signs at all. Mine didn't.

My point was missed. I think. Standing on second base and stealing a sign is legal. Using binoculars from the centerfield clubhouse and calling them in on the phone isn't. That's what the Giants did to catch the Dodgers and what they used to help Thomson hit the home run off Branca.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My point was missed. I think. Standing on second base and stealing a sign is legal. Using binoculars from the centerfield clubhouse and calling them in on the phone isn't. That's what the Giants did to catch the Dodgers and what they used to help Thomson hit the home run off Branca.

ESPN Classic - Hitters knew pitches in stretch drive

Thomson said he didn't take stolen signs when he connected off Branca.

"It would take a little away from me in my mind if I felt I got help on the pitch," he was quoted as saying. "My answer is no."

"Stealing signs is nothing to be proud of," Thomson said.

Anonymous tip 11 years after, BT denies using signs, and others only admitted their own actions 50 tears later. Go ahead and launch an investigation now 70 years on, if anyone cares.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lookup Calciopoli and decide whether the punishment fit the crime. I don’t see what the Astros and Red Cox did any differently and feel the punishment should be similar. That is not an unreasonable opinion IMO and if the ultimate goal is to persuade others from not doing the next version of this I think you need stiff punishments. If not cheating is 100% worth it and should be expected to continue.

thank you for making it clear that all cheating is not equal. Mass collusion among multiple teams and refereeing officials to fix matches just isn’t in the same realm as sign stealing. IMO.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Having a DH should help the Bull pen and Zimmerman. It will make the games a little more boring for fans playing manager

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lots of people want Beal. I’ve heard rumors of the Warriors offering their top lottery pick (bad draft) and Andrew Wiggans for him

That would be a terrifically terrible offer for the Wizards to take. There's no consensus franchise player in the 2020 draft and Beal is developing into one of the elite players in the game. Wiggins and a lotto pick in a weak draft don't come close to moving the needle.

Regardless, Washington shouldn't trade Beal until they see what version of Wall comes back. He's under control through the 2021-22 season with a player option for 2022-23. If it's clear that Wall is a shell of his former self and the Wizards are going to suck -- or worse, just be decent -- they can unload Beal in 2021 after the 2020-21 season and start the process of a rebuild. If Wall comes back and looks like he can be 85-90% of who he was (or better) then they have a good team and an attractive salary cap position.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
That would be a terrifically terrible offer for the Wizards to take. There's no consensus franchise player in the 2020 draft and Beal is developing into one of the elite players in the game. Wiggins and a lotto pick in a weak draft don't come close to moving the needle.

Regardless, Washington shouldn't trade Beal until they see what version of Wall comes back. He's under control through the 2021-22 season with a player option for 2022-23. If it's clear that Wall is a shell of his former self and the Wizards are going to suck -- or worse, just be decent -- they can unload Beal in 2021 after the 2020-21 season and start the process of a rebuild. If Wall comes back and looks like he can be 85-90% of who he was (or better) then they have a good team and an attractive salary cap position.

I agree with all of this. IMHO Beal went to a level of ability this season that I never though he could reach. But really the key is Wall. Still a bit scarred by what happened with Arenas who came back from that injury a shell.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’m a little surprised Wall coming back if NBA returns isn’t an option. It’s been 18 months since his injury...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m a little surprised Wall coming back if NBA returns isn’t an option. It’s been 18 months since his injury...
I am too. He was starting to practice with the team about half pace back in late Feb. 3mo later he should be seriously considering it.

unless he’s not at all in game shape and they worry it’ll cause another injury cuz he will push too hard?

a Wall/Beal and groupies Wiz would be a tough out for a low level playoff team in the East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad