OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc. : Version VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There could be a cost to not maturing before you get those millions...in fact...in many cases the cost is catastrophic. Look beyond your nose. Now if it's a player who has a crazy year out of nowhere and his draft stock is volatile but up, then you have to measure the market and take your chances sometimes. Each case must be assessed individually IMO. I tend to side with wanting these athletes better prepared for life before AND after their careers. I believe another year of growing up in a decent college program can contribute to that significantly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's really easy to say "it would be better for him to pass up those millions" when you're not the one being offered millions.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When was the last time you saw Joe Flacco audible, or use a different cadence or snap count?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
When was the last time you saw Joe Flacco audible, or use a different cadence or snap count?

5a88fa9afabf81a32f3859138447b2a69c0b71d783ac10c26c3ec53853139edb.jpg

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My previous comments were made as a fan of the sport in general, specifically in regards to how I see the sport of basketball has regressed in this millennium, not a comment on players passing up millions and the like. If the Kids want the millions then they should go and try for them, but most don't get said millions. It is what it is.

Having said that, I fail to see why the NBA couldn't go the NFL route and mandate a 3 year out of HS rule. The end result being the players have matured to the point they can make an informed decision about their future better. Whether to leave early or stay for a degree they can use for a lifetime.

It would also be good, in association with the 3 year rule, that the NBA make more use of the D-League for those dead set against going to college all together. Like the soccer academy's over in Europe(?). Teams can go out and scout kids early and get them in their D-League programs to develop them. Also, sweeten the salary pot a little to make it financially beneficial for those who don't want college and while they are in the D-League the NBA mandate these entry players get some sort of education in regards to financial playing and basic life skills they can use to manage their lives if they make it big in the NBA.

Finally, the notion that college athletes should be paid is a funny one to me. College isn't cheap and those with full ride scholarships are getting a lot for nothing. These articles are old, but they do a good job of showing how much a scholarship is worth and the benefits the people getting said scholarship are getting:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...on-for-college-footballs-top-25/#32324b3b663d

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1094781-so-whats-a-college-football-scholarship-worth-anyway

Now I agree spending money could be increased for these kids so they can enjoy themselves during free time. Also, jersey sales of jersey's specific kids make popular enough people want to buy them the individual player should be compensated as well. Set up a trust for these individuals where they get a piece of the profits and they can get that money at a later date. Ultimately, athletic scholarships, and all that comes with them, are extremely valuable for a number of reasons. These kids are not beating treated like they work in a sweat shop for 10 cents an hour.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to an advance copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.

"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy."

lol I'm guessing George isn't getting Christmas cards from Carmelo, JR, or Kenyon.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...cizes-carmelo-anthony-together-denver-nuggets

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to an advance copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it.

"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense. He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy."

lol I'm guessing George isn't getting Christmas cards from Carmelo, JR, or Kenyon.

BREAKING: superstar athletes coddled from a young age and given millions of dollars in their teenage years are spoiled and resistant to authority and possibly narcissistic. More at 11.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
BREAKING: superstar athletes coddled from a young age and given millions of dollars in their teenage years are spoiled and resistant to authority and possibly narcissistic. More at 11.

Yeah, late breaking news at that. Whats even more shocking is that there is a video in the link above where Stephen A. Smith is on his knees in defense of "Melo" and insulting Karl. Oh the humanity!!!

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...k-respond-george-karl-new-book-furious-george

Kenyon Martin Sr. ‏@KenyonMartinSr 3h
3 hours ago

George Karl is selfish,unhappy,missable,,cowardly person. No wonder he's be fired every place he has coached

The book he is writing is full of lies and deceit. By far the worst coach that ever played for

K-Mart is mad lol...

An argument could be made that K-Mart has been fired by every team he has played for.

And missable? Need to add that to my slang dictionary so its up to date when my oldest hits middle school.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Apparently the Terps played yesterday in the Quick Lane Bowl against BC. According to this sequence of plays it sounds like it was a good thing I missed it:

After Boston College quarterback Patrick Towles threw an interception with just over 9 minutes remaining and the Eagles leading 36-27, Maryland took over at the Boston College 17. From there, the Terrapins began a seemingly impossible 5+ minute, 12-play drive which resulted in three penalties, zero points, and an eventual fumble at the 2-yard line to kill any hopes of a comeback.

Let’s take a look at the play-by-play of Maryland’s epic drive.

1. (1st and 10 at BC 17) Running back Ty Johnson rushes for one yard to the 16.

2. (2nd and 9 at BC 16) Quarterback Perry Hills completes a 14-yard pass to Wes Brown to the 2. Terps are about to score. Right?

3. (1st and Goal at BC 2) The Terps did not score. Instead, a 1-yard run by Wes Brown is negated by a 10-yard penalty for holding on Maryland.

4. (1st and Goal at BC 12) Johnson rushed for 2 yards to the 10. No problem, Maryland still has three more downs to get this touchdown.

5. (2nd and Goal at BC 10) Uh oh, Hills is sacked by Harold Landry at BC 17 for 7-yard loss. Two more downs to stay in this game.

6. (3rd and Goal at BC 17) Perry Hills rushes 5 yards to the BC 12 and…wait never-mind, NO PLAY. Another holding penalty on Maryland and the Terps move back to the BC 27.

7. (4th and Goal at BC 27) Hills gets sacked. Normally, this would end a series. But. this is no ordinary series. Personal foul penalty for a facemask on Boston College keeps Maryland’s hopes alive at the BC 13.

8. (1st and 10 at BC 13) Hills throws an incomplete pass.

9. (2nd and 10 at BC 13) Hills throws an incomplete pass.

10. (3rd and 10 at BC 13) D.J. Moore 12-yard rush to BC 1. Maryland is definitely going to score.

11. (1st and Goal at BC 1) Perry Hills pass to Derrick Hayward for no gain. OK, Maryland is still definitely going to score.

12. (2nd and Goal at BC 2) Oh no, Perry Hills fumbles and Boston College recovers. Maryland is definitely not going to score. Cue the Sarah McLachlan soundtrack.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maryla...l-as-boston-college-wins-36-30-002849567.html

Perfect way to end the 2016 Terps football season, IMO. More thorough summary of the game, with highlights, here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...-quick-lane-bowl-in-unlikely-offensive-battle

Durkin has his work cut out for him. It will be interesting to see how the new Cole Field House will help recruiting.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Speaking of the new Cole Field House, I forgot to mention I was involved in this project early on, certain hazardous materials needed to be removed prior to renovation. As a result I got some cool pictures of Cole during the renovation, until my role in the project was over at least.

33kqaf4.jpg

fasdja.jpg

2nrzmlc.jpg

Those are from my last day on the job. I got a bunch more from the beginning to that point. Very interesting project to be involved in. Probably the coolest in my now complete environmental consulting career (got a new Govt job). Can't wait to see it finished.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Apparently Cole Field House has its own twitter handle. Found this tweet on the new Cole:

And there are web cams to keep track of the progress:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Wiz are playing better, but the problem is is that their bench is the worst in the NBA. Brooks is going to have to drive his starting 5 into the ground if they want to make it to the top 8 because Oubre is the only guy worth his salt on the bench. It's pretty incredible how awful Ernie is at constructing a roster.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Apparently the Terps played yesterday in the Quick Lane Bowl against BC. According to this sequence of plays it sounds like it was a good thing I missed it:

Durkin has his work cut out for him. It will be interesting to see how the new Cole Field House will help recruiting.

I watched the last part of the game. The Terps, down by 9, recovered a fumble on the BC 5-yard line with a few minutes left. The next 3 plays were all passes... and 2 were fades. I made a joke to my brother that Jay Gruden and Sean McVay must be the guest play-callers for UMD.

Durkin needs to nail this next OC hire or he'll be sunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad