OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc. : Version VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapTownCapsFan

Mar 3, 2016
Austin Jackson signed with the White Sox, leaving the Orioles with few options to fill RF externally. I don't think Pedro Alvarez is a realistic or legitimate option (Alvarez will DH, Trumbo and Davis splitting RG and 1B) due to the fact Alvarez is like so many players we have already. MLBTR is still reporting we are interested in Jay Bruce, but honestly, I feel that Joey Rickard may be playing his way into one of the corner OF spots.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Austin Jackson signed with the White Sox, leaving the Orioles with few options to fill RF externally. I don't think Pedro Alvarez is a realistic or legitimate option (Alvarez will DH, Trumbo and Davis splitting RG and 1B) due to the fact Alvarez is like so many players we have already. MLBTR is still reporting we are interested in Jay Bruce, but honestly, I feel that Joey Rickard may be playing his way into one of the corner OF spots.

The Fowler debacle really hurt the O's. Bruce isn't much different than Alvarez and Trumbo. If they are going to add 10m in salary, I'd rather they traded for another SP.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Terps bounced in the round of 64 or 32?

I'll wait until I see how they play in the conf tournament. When they play with confidence and as a team they're a top 5 squad. When they play like individuals in a (bad) pick up game, they can expect a 1st round loss.

They do not have dominant, strong bigs. I don't know what I said before but the more I watch this team as constructed the more it's apparent that their backcourt MUST play well for them to win, and to open up the post game. They can't have Trimble and company turning the ball over so much, or hucking up contested 18 footers with nobody rebounding. They aren't working for shots or doing any dirty work, really.

Layman is also an x-factor. If his inside-out game is firing on all cylinders it mixes everything up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'll wait until I see how they play in the conf tournament. When they play with confidence and as a team they're a top 5 squad. When they play like individuals in a (bad) pick up game, they can expect a 1st round loss.

They do not have dominant, strong bigs. I don't know what I said before but the more I watch this team as constructed the more it's apparent that their backcourt MUST play well for them to win, and to open up the post game. They can't have Trimble and company turning the ball over so much, or hucking up contested 18 footers with nobody rebounding. They aren't working for shots or doing any dirty work, really.

Layman is also an x-factor. If his inside-out game is firing on all cylinders it mixes everything up.

The big dance is almost always about guard play. Dominant guards can take a team really really far. So, it's all about Trimble. He's been a train wreck for the majority of the last 6 weeks, and the team has struggled a lot.

If he's playing like the first 3mo of this year (or like last year), they could win the thing. If he's the guy who can't make a shot, then I think they lose 2nd round.

My guess is in the middle. They make the sweet 16 (depends in matchups), and then have a 50/50 chance of winning that game. I'd be pretty surprised if they make it past Elite 8 (but again, depends on matchups).

I'm thinking a 4 or a 5 seed. If they go deep into Big 10 tourney (finals), then could be a 3. If they win it, then probably a 2.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yes, yes. That's what you get when this guy is your coach.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/03/10/bryce-harper-unwritten-rules/81576924/

On the one hand it's probably not a news flash that a 23 year old thinks something is boring (yes, that's what he means even if he denies it) because showing off and showing others up is frowned upon.

On the other hand, could MLB tolerate a Reggie Jackson type player these days, with the bat thrown violently to the ground while staring down a homer? Would a lot of the epic HR celebrations from decades ago become tarnished by brawls and beanballs? Fisk, Gibson, etc?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/03/10/bryce-harper-unwritten-rules/81576924/

On the one hand it's probably not a news flash that a 23 year old thinks something is boring (yes, that's what he means even if he denies it) because showing off and showing others up is frowned upon.

On the other hand, could MLB tolerate a Reggie Jackson type player these days, with the bat thrown violently to the ground while staring down a homer? Would a lot of the epic HR celebrations from decades ago become tarnished by brawls and beanballs? Fisk, Gibson, etc?

Working on his Yankee swagger already...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Most sports regulate the fun and personality out of the professional and college ranks. Ovie can't wear colored laces or his shaded visor. People went nuts with his "hot stick" celebration. In college football a taunting penalty on a scoring play negates the actual touchdown. The NFL has outlawed pretty much every celebration except two teammates politely high-fiving each other.

That said, the worst is definitely baseball. It's not just the executives that beat the drum on "the code," but a majority of the fans too. Baseball's fans are older and it's no coincidence that personality and individuality are frowned upon in baseball, given the fan demographic.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Most sports regulate the fun and personality out of the professional and college ranks. Ovie can't wear colored laces or his shaded visor. People went nuts with his "hot stick" celebration. In college football a taunting penalty on a scoring play negates the actual touchdown. The NFL has outlawed pretty much every celebration except two teammates politely high-fiving each other.

That said, the worst is definitely baseball. It's not just the executives that beat the drum on "the code," but a majority of the fans too. Baseball's fans are older and it's no coincidence that personality and individuality are frowned upon in baseball, given the fan demographic.

There's that, and we always hear "what kind of example are they setting for the kids". The problem being, when kids emulate these stars (and they will) it becomes a MUCH bigger problem. Kids can develop ego problems on both ends of the spectrum, either from too much or not enough. And they lack the maturity to handle the taunting, or to reign in the celebration when it gets close to the line.

So I still see both sides on this one. Gonna have to think about it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's the Layman x-factor. Hope for this team yet.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nebraska calls off the dogs with over 30 seconds left. Trimble throws the ball out of bounds with 2.4 secs left in a failed celebration. Nebraska forced to inbounds it, and then a Maryland player steals it.

We totally got a critical late foul call in our favor. Of course, our BB program is the only reason we were wanted in the Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad