OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Madsen...took mad skills to hit 2 batters. Nice job buddy. You’ve been a gem this season.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

It seems as if this article is using a few unnamed former players and coaches and was very one sided. A ton of former and current players and coaches have said its BS. Even back in December CB JC Jackson had declared early for the draft and in interviews was extremely complimentary of Durkin and the programs future. Going out of his way to say Durkin helped mature him into a man.
Maryland Players DJ Durkin ESPN Report not saying that Md is blameless here (a kid died tragically after all) but that story was written by a known Md hater Heather Dinich and seems like a hit piece. I have some inside info and the team is shocked and upset Durkin was suspended. Fwiw

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Rizzo goes all tough-guy and jettisons bullpen arms while adding nothing. Welcome to the worst pen in the bigs and a lost season. This team not making the playoffs while not selling at the deadline and then losing Harper would be the triple Monty of fail. A 10 out of 10 Washingtonian face plant.

The Caps won the Stanley Cup tho. So it’s all good...

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Rizzo goes all tough-guy and jettisons bullpen arms while adding nothing. Welcome to the worst pen in the bigs and a lost season. This team not making the playoffs while not selling at the deadline and then losing Harper would be the triple Monty of fail. A 10 out of 10 Washingtonian face plant.

The Caps won the Stanley Cup tho. So it’s all good...
I’ve said it and I’ll say it again. Rizzo is the George McPhee of baseball. Cannot build a complete team to save his life. Accumulates strikeout hitters (which has killed us in the post season) and now has added a lousy bullpen to his resume.

Although I have to say that firing Dusty is looking like a worse and worse move by the minute. It’s entirely possible this coaching staff isn’t managing arms very well. Who knows.

But I’d certainly be happy moving on from McPhee...errr Rizzo. Like with the Caps that may he what it takes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well...after last night the Nats are done. Time to move on. When does Caps training camp start? Ive never been. Maybe its time

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maryland sports started to become a joke when they hired Kevin Anderson. Anderson was terrible at Army and was in way over his head at Maryland. Army's football and basketball teams were atrocious and rudderless with no plan or identity under Anderson. As a Navy grad with Terp alums in the family, I was stunned when MD hired KA and assumed he would be a disaster in College Park, which he was.

As bad as the mess is in College Park right now, the Terps have yet to bottom out, in my opinion. I don't see any way Durkin survives this ordeal and Turgeon seems to be dead man walking with the two federal subpoenas and investigations hanging over his head. Somehow, through all of this, Damon Evans was promoted from interim to permanent AD in June of 2018. There is zero leadership in that athletic department right now and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It seems as if this article is using a few unnamed former players and coaches and was very one sided. A ton of former and current players and coaches have said its BS. Even back in December CB JC Jackson had declared early for the draft and in interviews was extremely complimentary of Durkin and the programs future. Going out of his way to say Durkin helped mature him into a man.
Maryland Players DJ Durkin ESPN Report not saying that Md is blameless here (a kid died tragically after all) but that story was written by a known Md hater Heather Dinich and seems like a hit piece. I have some inside info and the team is shocked and upset Durkin was suspended. Fwiw

In the end, none of that matters. I'm not disagreeing with you, but a player died due to their mistakes. Obviously you cannot prove that had they done "everything right" around McNair during the moments that were critical (right as it was happening and the first 2hrs afterwards), that McNair would have survived. He may not have lived anyway.

But, the culpability is apparent. Theyve admitted as such.

Coach is responsible. He needs to go. Period.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
While Davey Martinez hasn't been the answer, I certainly don't think Dusty was the answer. Much like Trotz, you knew what you had with him and at some point an organization just has to stuck it up and move on. It's very possible Reirden is the Davey Martinez to the Caps, but that doesn't mean moving on from Trotz was bad.

I generally think that what really killed them this year was their starting pitching. It's gone from arguably the best in the league to the Max Scherzer show. They never adequately replaced Zimmerman, Roark had an awful start, and Gio's been pretty hit or miss for years now. If they had even one more starting pitcher I think they can win a lot more games.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Dusty was a really nice guy, Nats spring training 2017 was a blast in west palm beach!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Flyers fan coming in peace. Does Janarion Grant have a shot at making the Ravens? As a Rutgers fan I can tell you this kid can flat out fly. If he didn't blow out his knee I think he would have been drafted for sure.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Flyers fan coming in peace. Does Janarion Grant have a shot at making the Ravens? As a Rutgers fan I can tell you this kid can flat out fly. If he didn't blow out his knee I think he would have been drafted for sure.

I don't follow the Ravens too closely but from what I've heard I think he has more than a shot. The Ravens lost their return man (Michael Campanaro) to Tennessee this offseason and they have probably one of the three worst skill positions units as a whole in the NFL. If he continues to flash I think he'll make it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't follow the Ravens too closely but from what I've heard I think he has more than a shot. The Ravens lost their return man (Michael Campanaro) to Tennessee this offseason and they have probably one of the three worst skill positions units as a whole in the NFL. If he continues to flash I think he'll make it.
Nice. This kid was literally a threat to score every time he touched the ball.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Huge news and Williams is the only UMD figure who could bring credibility and sanity to the situation. Question is will he do it?

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Williams would be nuts to step into that mess. He'll probably just keep playing golf.

Reactions: twabby

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well the Nats are dead but DC United won again last night against NER and are fun to watch. New England now sits 2 points ahead of DCU in 7th with DC having 2 games in hand, and DCU is now only 6 points back of Montreal for the 6th and final playoff spot... with DC having 4 games in hand. Pretty impressive considering at one point in mid-July they were mired in last place and were 17 points out of a playoff spot.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It means they were blocked from being traded.

After the 1st trade deadline there is a period where you can put someone on waivers and if no one claims them you can work out a trade. If they get claimed you can pull them back off of waivers. Baseball is weird.

or you can let the team that claims them, just take them. Happened with Justin Bour. Phillies claimed him, Marlins let him go. It's an odd system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad