OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
detest uva as an alumnus of a bitter rival but i can respect what they did yesterday. have a lot of grit on that team. happy for em. plus we're all caps fans in the end. I remember watching the Auburn UVA game at the bar in the Caps arena (they aired it there) and there was mad UVA folk there cheering they team on.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Big night tonight for Les Boulez. With a loss to Boston, they'd clinch bottom 8 (6.0% at Zion). If Dallas (home vs. Phoenix) and Memphis (road vs. Detroit) win, they'll be 6th worst (9.0% at Zion). Boston is playing for home court in round 1, Detroit is playing for a playoff spot, and Phoenix is playing for nothing, so I'd guess the most likely result is Wiz L, Memphis L, and Dallas W. That'd leave the Wiz and Memphis tied for 6th, which would give them an 8.3/8.2% chance at Zion, depending on the results of a coin flip.
First two results have happened, and Dallas is up 30 at the half. This is what we're looking at.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Robles down to his last strike hits a dinger to tie the score in the top of the 9th. Impressive considering the Nats were down 6-1 early.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Nats down 6-1 early to Philly rally back and win 10-6 in extra innings. Impressive comeback. To bad I missed extra innings because I fell asleep. Sucks getting old.

Soto has a 3 run HR in extra innings.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Where Griffith Stadium was located is now home to that dump that is Howard University Hospital.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I look at it in the same light as I view the Forsberg trade and McPhee fallout. Losing Oubre for nothing hurts but if it's the final nail in Ernie's coffin then I'm ok with it.
I get the sentiment, but actually don't think that's fair to McPhee.

Ernie left the team with one tradeable asset (Beal), lucked into only one legitimately valuable future (Bryant), and one albatross contract that has killed their cap flexibility.

It's inexcusable to trade Porter without landing a 1st in return. It's inexcusable to send the legit young talent that you mentioned (Oubre) away and not only fail to bring back a future, but to bring back a vet that hurts your lottery chances. And if there is any truth to the summer Lakers-Wall rumors (Wall for Ball, Ingram, Caldwell-Pope) and later (Decemberish) Lakers interest in Wall, well, it just compounds a horrendous year (of many horrendous years) for Ernie Grunfeld.

A competent GM could have gotten out from under both the Porter and Wall contracts, gained a first (or two), and had a starting five of: Lonzo Ball-Bradley Beal-Kelly Oubre-Brandon Ingram-Thomas Bryant going forward.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I get the sentiment, but actually don't think that's fair to McPhee.

Ernie left the team with one tradeable asset (Beal), lucked into only one legitimately valuable future (Bryant), and one albatross contract that has killed their cap flexibility.

It's inexcusable to trade Porter without landing a 1st in return. It's inexcusable to send the legit young talent that you mentioned (Oubre) away and not only fail to bring back a future, but to bring back a vet that hurts your lottery chances. And if there is any truth to the summer Lakers-Wall rumors (Wall for Ball, Ingram, Caldwell-Pope) and later (Decemberish) Lakers interest in Wall, well, it just compounds a horrendous year (of many horrendous years) for Ernie Grunfeld.

A competent GM could have gotten out from under both the Porter and Wall contracts, gained a first (or two), and had a starting five of: Lonzo Ball-Bradley Beal-Kelly Oubre-Brandon Ingram-Thomas Bryant going forward.

No disagreements here... I'm only justifying the situation because if I dwell on the reality of things I just get angry. Ernie's blunders are well documented and Ted is to blame for the current status of the franchise. Bullets Forever wrote an article about DC United potentially passing the Wiz in popularity which just a few years ago would have been a laughable and indefensible position to take but now - who knows?

The summer of 2016 was the pinnacle of incompetence, for me, and should have been the nail in his coffin. Ernie (inexplicably) put all of his eggs in the KD basket then of course failed with that because it was known to everyone but Ernie that KD wasn't coming home and when Horford signed with the Celtics instead of the Wiz he panicked. He signed Ian Mahinmi to a four year, $64 million deal, signed Andrew Nicholson to a four year, $26 million deal, and signed Jason Smith to a three year, $16 million deal. Mahinmi is unplayable and has totally destroyed their cap situation for the past 3 seasons and he had to trade a 2017 1st round pick to jettison Nicholson some 7 months later.

Perhaps the most damning piece of evidence is that aside from Troy Brown Jr -- who is far from a sure thing to be a contributor to this team -- Bradley Beal from 2012 is the most recent 1st round pick still left on the roster and they have literally no one else on the roster from the 2013-2017 drafts. That is mind-numbingly incompetent.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It’s all so bad that it begs the question: how the hell did he keep his job that long? Did his wife throw unbelievable dinner parties / sex parties? Did he have scandalous photos of Ted? It truly numbs the mind. His tenure here was abysmal.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It’s all so bad that it begs the question: how the hell did he keep his job that long? Did his wife throw unbelievable dinner parties / sex parties? Did he have scandalous photos of Ted? It truly numbs the mind. His tenure here was abysmal.
It's the worst case of blind loyalty I've ever seen in professional sports. 16 seasons in charge. No 50 win seasons. Miss the playoffs 8 times. Won the division once. Never passed the 2nd round.

On the lottery topic, silly me didn't realize Memphis still has a game left. If they win tonight (against Golden State, who likely rests most of their lineup), the Wiz are alone in 6th.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If anyone is watching the masters, a volunteer tried to be a big shot and came a hair from taking out tiger woods. It was one of the funniest things I’ve seen. He would have probably been killed before he could have gotten out of georgia

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
He was part of security and he was running out to block patrons from walking to close to the golfers and he slipped. He was just doing his job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad