OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Wizards have been garbage for 40 years. It's amazing a franchise is that inept over 4 decades. Not even the Caps were that inept, heck, the Caps routinely made the playoffs until the Adam Oates final year.

Caps Playoff streak was from 1982-83 to 1995-96. From 1996 to 2007 they missed the playoffs 6 times in 10 seasons (one year lost to lockout). Oates missing was the first time post-rebuild completion.

The Wizards went to the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years (including 3 series wins), were terrible for 5 years prior to that, and had a playoff streak of 4 years before that. In the 16 years leading to that period they made the playoffs once. For 20 years before that slump they only missed twice, won a title, and appeared in several Finals.

/wiki, of course

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Sep 19, 2008
Caps Playoff streak was from 1982-83 to 1995-96. From 1996 to 2007 they missed the playoffs 6 times in 10 seasons (one year lost to lockout). Oates missing was the first time post-rebuild completion.

The Wizards went to the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years (including 3 series wins), were terrible for 5 years prior to that, and had a playoff streak of 4 years before that. In the 16 years leading to that period they made the playoffs once. For 20 years before that slump they only missed twice, won a title, and appeared in several Finals.

/wiki, of course

Whilst true it also can't be ignored that

- Wizards / Bullets franchise have not won 50 or more games since 1979

- Wizards / Bullets franchise have not won two playoff series in a year since 1979

To not even make a conference final in 40 years is one of the most ignominious and insulting things to happen in DC sports. Even the Caps made 2 conference finals appearances and 2 SC Final appearances in those 40 years. :laugh:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not totally true. If they brought Porter back they'd have something like $90mm committed to four players next year. One of those players is hurt (Wall), one of those players is terrible and unplayable (Mahinmi), one of those players has regressed significantly (Porter), and one of those players is worth his money (Beal). By clearing out Porter's money they can re-sign some of their important RFAs like Sato, Bryant, Dekker, etc.

All this to say, Ted needs to call Beal into his office today and ask what he wants to do. Assuming Wall is lost for all of next year and will never be the same player again, Ted needs to ask Brad if he wants to have the team rebuilt around him or does he not have the patience for a painful rebuild? It all centers around Beal now and Ted needs to know if he's in or out.
There can't be a rebuild around Beal with Wall's supermax on the payroll. It's over. Get a new GM when the season's done, let him get a good return for Beal and start over.

I was against a rebuild before the Achilles thing but now it's really the only option. If Wall is ever close to the same player he was before, it's not happening while Beal is on his current deal. House of Guards is a closed chapter.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The new guy Porter got 30 points tonight in the win. Not a bad debut.

You mean Portis (aka “Clinton”).

Hell, even Parker looked pretty good. It would be “SO WIZARDS” to jell and make the Loffs, wouldn’t it? Save Bergenfeld?

Edit — yes, for those of you with little kids, and have seen the movie “Trolls” (or perhaps you just like Timberlake and like anime....no kids necessary??)....Ernie Grunfeld IS a Bergen. He just is. He brings unhappiness down on us all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This franchise has often responded to player subtractions with inspired performances. It probably won't last.

Sep 19, 2008
Bryce Harper unfollowed Capitals players on Twitter. Tom Wilson: ‘I don’t know if that’s writing on the wall or what.’

“I know a couple of us got the unfollow the other day so I don’t know if that’s writing on the wall or what,” Wilson said laughing in a video posted by NBC4 Sports. “He’s been a leader in this city for a long time. I know he kinda jumped the Caps ship with the Vegas bandwagon there with where he’s from, but it’s always been fun, and I’m sure he’s going to make the best decision for him and his family and his future.”

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Man the Nats dropped the ball not selling hard at the deadline. They wound up getting peanuts in August but they could have completely reshaped the farm in one fell swoop. They had a TON of high value rentals to shop.

From my recollection Harper was pretty happy he didn't get traded. At that point I believe ownership kaboshed it versus GM and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad