OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
My guess is the new GM cleans house but that’ll depend on the lottery as well.

There’s a 9% chance the Wizards are saved.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Zion would be a godsend for this franchise and the city......

So obviously it cannot happen.

We can’t have nice things

DC got Ovechkin and Wall... I don't think we can complain about not having nice things. I'm not sure how the baseball draft works and if we lucked into Strasburg and Harper as well but we got them too.

What we did after we got those players is another story.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
DC got Ovechkin and Wall... I don't think we can complain about not having nice things. I'm not sure how the baseball draft works and if we lucked into Strasburg and Harper as well but we got them too.

And RG3. I get all that (and Backstrom?)

But save the Caps, all these other “superstars” were all SO significantly flawed, that their status didn’t matter.

At all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Including Wall with Ovechkin is an insult to the latter. Now they’re probably going to be forced to trade the guy they should keep. Wall is Fools gold IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Including Wall with Ovechkin is an insult to the latter. Now they’re probably going to be forced to trade the guy they should keep. Wall is Fools gold IMO.

I was simply pointing out we won the lottery with Wall despite low odds to do so, countering Ridley’s statement that we can’t ever have nice things. It wasn’t meant to be a talent comparison.

Also, Wall was considered a future superstar in the league when he was drafted. And his drafting was supposed to be the infusion of new blood and the ushering in of a new era after the Arenas era went south.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And RG3. I get all that (and Backstrom?)

But save the Caps, all these other “superstars” were all SO significantly flawed, that their status didn’t matter.

At all.

RGIII we paid through the nose for... no luck there. And Backstrom we didn’t hit any ping pong balls to win the lottery, so not exactly apples to apples.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Also, Wall was considered a future superstar in the league when he was drafted. And his drafting was supposed to be the infusion of new blood and the ushering in of a new era after the Arenas era went south.

Wall was considered to be a perennial all-star coming out of college but after Kwame Brown I was skeptical. And doing a quick scan of my brain I can't remember a top 10 draft pick by the Bullets/Wizards that ever lived up to their hype in my lifetime. Stands to reason if, by miracle, the Wizards are able to pick Zion that he will fail to live up to the hype if he is forced to play in DC. Its fate.

*edit* I stand corrected. Brad Beal has met or exceeded expectations but he is the only one and I went back and looked at all of the Bullets/Wizards top 10 picks since the year of my birth. A very depressing experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
RGIII we paid through the nose for... no luck there. And Backstrom we didn’t hit any ping pong balls to win the lottery, so not exactly apples to apples.
Nice things to me = special players. Many of the people you mentioned didn’t turn out to be all that special, at all. That’s my point.

Save Ovechkin. Obviously. (Kwame Brown, for EFFS sakes!)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was simply pointing out we won the lottery with Wall despite low odds to do so, countering Ridley’s statement that we can’t ever have nice things. It wasn’t meant to be a talent comparison.

Used to feel like we "won"....not so much the last 2 years. Who knew the guy would never learn to shoot and was a selfish teammate? Sucks...

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Man, people really disrespecting Wall here. He's been a much better player then Beal over his career. He carried this team with awful teammates for many years.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad