Nationwide Arena/CBJ Finances Discussion II

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Because the tax was levied to support the work of the Arts Council.
And it is for arts activities, not just sporting events held at Nationwide. The biggest piece is that only events in Nationwide will go to Nationwide improvements with a portion of that going to the arts. 100% of the funds raised outside of Nationwide will go to the arts. (i.e. events at the Ohio Theatre, Palace Theatre, etc.) The majority of the funds are going to the arts around Columbus.

Columbus Ticket Fee Proposal - Greater Columbus Arts Council

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Bottom line is the CBJ should be paying some rent for the arena. Nothing else brng on another title sponsor and use that funding to upkeep arena. Instead they neglected it (CBJ/Nationwide and now the City) and now need a way to pay for it.

I've never understood why major sports teams get away with not paying for the construction/upkeep/rent of stadiums/arenas. I understand the benefit a major team brings to a city, but it still doesn't seem right. Are cities afraid they'll drive away the team and thus the business/revenue it brings in?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My question is “why”.....why should they get special subsidies?

Buying a ticket is going to be like renting a car at the airport. The fees, taxes and other parasites cost as much as the product/service.

It's not so much a special subsidy as it is a new funding stream. Municipalities levy all sorts of taxes to support the scope of work that the municipality does on behalf of its residents.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I know it's probably the right thing but I'm against it especially since they don't tax OSU.
For me I enjoy going to CBJ games. But prices go up 4-5% every year. I assume they will keep ticket prices neutral next year and just tack on the tax.
Bottom line is the CBJ should be paying some rent for the arena. Nothing else brng on another title sponsor and use that funding to upkeep arena. Instead they neglected it (CBJ/Nationwide and now the City) and now need a way to pay for it.

Per my rep, he's expecting the usual raise in tickets, on top of this 5% that was passed last night.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
People shouldn't be concerned about the 5% cost increase in the tickets. Spend less on overpriced concessions at every game and it will wash out and is probably a lot healthier for you.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
People shouldn't be concerned about the 5% cost increase in the tickets. Spend less on overpriced concessions at every game and it will wash out and is probably a lot healthier for you.

What if I already don't spend on concessions at the game? Are you gonna suggest I cut my Netflix subscription next?

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Obviously that must be it. :skeptic: What if people cut their concession budget when 3 years ago the city decided to clock their arena district meters until 10pm? So now instead of parking at free meters on Chestnut or 3rd or spring, fans have to pay $10 for a garage? Or to already absorb the 30%+ increase in ticket prices over last few years?

CBJ are already 24th in the league for attendance. I guess city and CBJ business plan is to keep raising prices and live off the few remaining fat season ticket holders blowing their money on papa johns and bacon on a stick. :laugh:

I still think the city was already making way more money on the real estate and income taxes the arena district now generates to cover the arena expenses. That area was a dead zone of eyesore weed overgrowth 20 years ago. Downtown was a ghost town at 5:30pm back in the 90’s. This was just an easy money grab by the city. (We’ll do it because every other city does it).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What if I already don't spend on concessions at the game? Are you gonna suggest I cut my Netflix subscription next?
You make your budget cuts wherever you feel like making them. If a 100 dollar ticket becoming a 105 dollar ticket is a deal breaker for you, that is your choice. Spending on entertainment is clearly a discretionary spending item for everyone and everyone has their breaking point. I rarely buy concessions at the arena either. I do however support the arts in the city and they are a foundation in all great cities.

People already pay 8% as an entertainment tax in Cleveland, 12% in Chicago and 5% in Pittsburgh for example. This is not a new concept for any city.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
My Center Ice subscription forces me to pay the 20% "Rimer Stupidity Tax". It causes CTE from shaking my head and also causes my ears to bleed.

Reactions: cslebn

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My Center Ice subscription forces me to pay the 20% "Rimer Stupidity Tax". It causes CTE from shaking my head and also causes my ears to bleed.
I understand that these symptoms can be prevented with an ordinary pair of earplugs, or, barring that, the "MUTE" button on your TV. Some side effects may occur, tho, such as loss of crowd noise.

I wouldn't know personally, tho, as I developed an immunity long ago.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You make your budget cuts wherever you feel like making them. If a 100 dollar ticket becoming a 105 dollar ticket is a deal breaker for you, that is your choice. Spending on entertainment is clearly a discretionary spending item for everyone and everyone has their breaking point. I rarely buy concessions at the arena either. I do however support the arts in the city and they are a foundation in all great cities.

People already pay 8% as an entertainment tax in Cleveland, 12% in Chicago and 5% in Pittsburgh for example. This is not a new concept for any city.

How many of those other cities have a massive college that generates tens of millions of dollars of ticket revenue annually and yet is completely exempt from that very tax?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Pretty smart move by CBJ.
Allows them to increase ticket prices 4% each year for 7 years and as a STH we still feel as though we are "winning" with not paying the tax.
I've not done it yet, honestly I don't trust the CBJ as far as saying that you can discontinue at any time. Hopefully true.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What do they mean by no cancellation fees?

If I commit to 7 years but need to stop being a STH in 4 years can I opt out or am I locked into buying season tickets for 7 years?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've had them mess up my billing before but it seems much easier to manage that yourself online now in the event you need to change credit cards. I'm assuming one messed up billing cycle and they start charging you the fees then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad